A Different Witch (A Modern Witch Series:…

A Different Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 5) (edition 2012)

by Debora Geary

Member:abcarroll
Title:A Different Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 5)
Authors:Debora Geary
Info:Fireweed Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition
Rating:*****
Tags:2012, ebook, Author Given

A Different Witch by Debora Geary

2012 (2) 2013 (2) 2014 (3) alternate worlds (3) aspergers (1) Beth (1) chick lit (1) ebook (9) fantasy (10) fiction (8) fluff (1) Geary (2) I (1) Kindle (8) Kindle Edition (3) magic (2) novel (1) own (3) paranormal (2) paranormal romance (2) read (1) romance (1) series (5) sf (1) sff (1) to-read (3) training (1) urban fantasy (4) wicca (3) witches (6)

4.5 Stars. Ms Geary tackles a sensitive subject in her latest novel. See my full review at the Pure Textuality website. ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Very sweet book, like all the Modern Witch books.

Finally, a bit of diversity. Still not seeing witches of color, but we have crossed into the land of LGBT witches.

Ms. Geary also touched on Aspberger's, giving to me what seemed to be a thoughtful approach.

These books as a whole are very nice. They are well written and well edited. They flow well. Yeah, they are chock full o' action, but they tell a story and tell it well.

The constant cookie talk does make it hard for this cookie addict to sit still and not get up and get a cookie, or 12.

(Just a note: I haven't necessarily been reading these in order, but this is the first where Nell's husband is more than an allusion. I was glad to "see" him be loving and supportive, instead of just referred to as being loving and supportive.) ( )
  paideiamom | Sep 22, 2013 |
see review for Witchlight book 3 ( )
  JLLawson | Aug 5, 2013 |
Another touching and charming installation from Witch Central. I love that the authors weaves in new characters, never leaving out anyone we've previously met, even if it's just a mention. It really does help build the sense of community so prevalent and fundamental throughout these books. Learning about Beth and the insight into Asperger's this go round was fascinating to me. March can not come soon enough to see what will come next. Lastly I just have to say damn you Debora Geary. Every book I've read from you has made me spill heartwarming tears. I hope that never stops! ( )
  Cathyvil | Apr 7, 2013 |
Another wonderful example of Deborah Geary's sharing love with each and every reader. This book is special for showing how even talented witches may not understand the special needs when training someone with Asperger's. Further, even a really strong warrior witch and experienced trainer can fail and compound errors if she doesn't understand the nature of the challenges someone with Asperger's must overcome. Yes, this story teaches multiple lessons to both Beth (from Chicago) and Berkley's bevy of witches. This time, those witches who seem most capable are the most challenged and those who seem most marginal are able to demonstrate their special understanding. Lauren and Lizzard (of new red boots fame) both lend support in especially precarious times while Nat and her brother Jamie are both stymied by their refusal to be flexible and accepting of difference, misinterpreting a different process as lack of understanding or intelligence. As always, cookies and sweets come together to almost save the day. Unfortunately, Beth is allergic to both chocolate and too much sugar (practically a cardinal sin at witches central in Berkley). Moria was visiting from Nova Scotia and used her special understanding of people and flowers to sooth the stress and promote understanding between some Berkley and Chicago factions. The interaction undertaken in love expressed in a totally satisfying growth for both groups and likely new understanding by the readers. As always, I'm surprised at how often I have to remove my glasses and wipe tears from my eyes so I can continue to read the story. I think I just love the expression of love between all ages and the special effort they all take to insure everyone is treated as equals, especially those least likely to be able to defend themselves. Another source of smiles is the eagerness that the young help and contribute and how highly their help is appreciated and rewarded. Truly stories to benefit the human condition. I just love Debora Geary's stories! ( )
  JosephLYoung | Jan 27, 2013 |

Debora Geary is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,150,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible