Blindsight by Peter Watts

Info:Tor Books (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:ebook, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:scifi

Blindsight by Peter Watts (Author)

Solaris by Stanisław Lem (deTerrence)
    Eifelheim by Michael Flynn (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because it also is full of philosophical and scientific concepts, and also has a first-contact theme.
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two books that push the boundaries on our understanding of what constitutes alien cultures and intelligences.
    A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Excellent hard sci-fi which contains concepts which will challenge your mind.
    Starfish by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Classic bleak sci-fi.
    The Best of Edmond Hamilton by Edmond Hamilton (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Slightly misanthropic stories about how humanity is not necessarily the apex of creation.

English (84)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (87)
Wanted to give it 5 stars but it wasn't always easy to follow the events in the book. This IS hard science fiction and not for the faint of heart. I'll definately read Watts next book. There just aren't enough sci fi writers out there willing to push the envelope. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
This was a great read. A nice alternative view on what intelligence and sentience means. Some of the same approach to dealing with aliens of course, but the aliens interaction takes a different approach from most sci-fi stories. That is tied back into the whole intelligences and sentience thing. Lots of introspection going on.

Sometimes the arthur seems to get lost on a technical jig and I start swearing it is all made-up silly stuff w/o checking to see if the jargon even fits... but most of the time it flows.

I would have enjoyed a bit more interaction and viewing of the stuff the crew finds... but that is not really what this is about.

If you like the brain stuff that this book makes you think about you might want to check out "Jitterbug Perfume" which takes a different direction but I'd say is still about seeing where we are, have been, will be. Totally different genre's though.

BTW, I downloaded this book from booksinmyphone.com
  taylor_cc | Jan 6, 2016 |
Forget 2001 and its progeny, this is *the* novel about alien contact.

Both the aliens *and* the humans depicted in it seem both totally realistic but are 'alien' in different ways.

It is not an easy read, but it is a rewarding one... ( )
1 vote AlanPoulter | Dec 29, 2015 |
I posted a review on this one months ago but it seems to have fallen into a blackhole and I have no backup. This was a very difficult book for me due to the prose style. I just found it a little rambling, unclear and unfocussed. I kept losing track of where the current scene is taking place and which characters are present, not to mention what exactly was happening. In all fairness this probably my own failure and not the author's, his prose style just does not resonate with me.

That said this book is generally critically well received and there are many ingenious concepts in this book which feature a truly inscrutable alien, several highly modified human characters and a scientifically convincing vampire. If you find the synopsis of this book (not part of this review!) interesting there is no reason not to give it a try it as it is available as a free e-book here. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
I really liked this book. Some of the ideas in it still have me thinking. ( )
  lente | Dec 6, 2015 |

Watts, PeterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pringle, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shimada, YoichiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Try to touch the past. Try to deal with the past. It's not real. It's just a dream.
- Ted Bundy
For Lisa
If we're not in pain, we're not alive.
It didn't start out here.

Sentient contact?

Conscious thought avails you not

Scramblers are coming

(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319640, Paperback)

The Hugo Award–nominated novel by “a hard science fiction writer through and through and one of the very best alive.” The Globe and Mail

Two months have past since a myriad of alien objects clenched about the Earth, screaming as they burned. The heavens have been silent since—until a derelict space probe hears whispers from a distant comet. Something talks out there: but not to us. Who should we send to meet the alien, when the alien doesn’t want to meet?

Send a linguist with multiple-personality disorder and a biologist so spliced with machinery that he can’t feel his own flesh. Send a pacifist warrior and a vampire recalled from the grave by the voodoo of paleogenetics. Send a man with half his mind gone since childhood. Send them to the edge of the solar system, praying you can trust such freaks and monsters with the fate of a world. You fear they may be more alien than the thing they’ve been sent to find—but you’d give anything for that to be true, if you knew what was waiting for them. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:37 -0400)

It's been two months since a myriad of alien objects clenched around the Earth, screaming as they burned. The heavens have been silent since. That is until a derelict space probe hears whispers from a distant comet.

202 wanted4 free

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,077,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible