Blindsight by Peter Watts

Info:Tor Books (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:ebook, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:scifi

Blindsight by Peter Watts (Author)

Eifelheim by Michael Flynn (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because it also is full of philosophical and scientific concepts, and also has a first-contact theme.
    Solaris by Stanisław Lem (deTerrence)
    A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Excellent hard sci-fi which contains concepts which will challenge your mind.
    Starfish by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Classic bleak sci-fi.
    The Best of Edmond Hamilton by Edmond Hamilton (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Slightly misanthropic stories about how humanity is not necessarily the apex of creation.
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two books that push the boundaries on our understanding of what constitutes alien cultures and intelligences.

English (87)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (90)
VAMPIRES IN SPACE. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Really interesting, chock full of ideologies, debates, and fascinating new technologies. It's great scifi. The only problem is that I completely disagree with the main premise of the book, which turns out to be that sentience is in fact a *problem* rather than Our Specialness. It's a cool twist to the usual first contact with alien life scenario, but unfortunately it makes no sense to me. I just don't get it. Yeah, a consciousness means that you second guess decisions and are slower to make them, so from an evolutionary standpoint it may not be the best ability to have. Maybe when we get into space, the very fact that we know we exist will be the death of us. I am so fine with that. If the other option is life without awareness, I don't care that it makes me less likely to survive a space battle. I thought I was arguing this against Watts until near the very end of the book, and even then I'm not sure what his stance on the issue is. If you're looking for a mind fuck, go for this novel. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Oh, this is a hard one to rate. It was an exceptionally well written book that was almost painful to read. The science in this fiction is quite heavy handed. At times it felt a little like like sitting in on a conversation between Einstein, Hawking and Feynman. I generally consider myself a relatively intelligent person, or at least well educated. Though admittedly not in any field one would consider a hard science I have a BS, two Masters and a fair amount of research under my belt. Despite that, the best I could manage was glossing over the technobabble of this book. As it happens it didn't seem to matter if I knew what a 'Angstrum,' 'sievert,' "Sandloviciu,' or 'adenosine triphosphate' was. The story was still followable, enjoyable even. I've just never particularly liked being left in the intellectual dust

For all of Siri's apparent inability to relate to humanity I really liked him. I liked his voice and could almost relate to him. With the exception of Sarasti who showed a little personality right there at the end, most of the other characters felt a little flat however. But that might have something to do with being filtered through Siri's narration.

Honestly, I was a little surprised to find this book on my shelf, though I obviously bought it at some point. This isn't the first Peter Watts book I've come across. I read the Rifters series a number of years ago. I remember liking the writing then too and even liked book one enough to continue the story. In the end it finally sank a little too low for me. I like my sic-fi and fantasy dark, but I think the Rifter's Sexual Sadist Continental Overlord was just a little too much. I was glad to see the back of that series, so can't imagine why I picked another one of Watt's books up. This one didn't get quite as dark though and maintained its palatability. Watts' dark humour and social pessimism is still readily apparent, but tempered enough to still be fun. And boy does it make you think. *shudder* It's encouraged me to give his writing another shot. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
Wanted to give it 5 stars but it wasn't always easy to follow the events in the book. This IS hard science fiction and not for the faint of heart. I'll definately read Watts next book. There just aren't enough sci fi writers out there willing to push the envelope. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
This was a great read. A nice alternative view on what intelligence and sentience means. Some of the same approach to dealing with aliens of course, but the aliens interaction takes a different approach from most sci-fi stories. That is tied back into the whole intelligences and sentience thing. Lots of introspection going on.

Sometimes the arthur seems to get lost on a technical jig and I start swearing it is all made-up silly stuff w/o checking to see if the jargon even fits... but most of the time it flows.

I would have enjoyed a bit more interaction and viewing of the stuff the crew finds... but that is not really what this is about.

If you like the brain stuff that this book makes you think about you might want to check out "Jitterbug Perfume" which takes a different direction but I'd say is still about seeing where we are, have been, will be. Totally different genre's though.

BTW, I downloaded this book from booksinmyphone.com
  taylor_cc | Jan 6, 2016 |

Watts, PeterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pringle, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shimada, YoichiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Try to touch the past. Try to deal with the past. It's not real. It's just a dream.
- Ted Bundy
For Lisa
If we're not in pain, we're not alive.
It didn't start out here.

Sentient contact?

Conscious thought avails you not

Scramblers are coming

(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319640, Paperback)

The Hugo Award–nominated novel by “a hard science fiction writer through and through and one of the very best alive.” The Globe and Mail

Two months have past since a myriad of alien objects clenched about the Earth, screaming as they burned. The heavens have been silent since—until a derelict space probe hears whispers from a distant comet. Something talks out there: but not to us. Who should we send to meet the alien, when the alien doesn’t want to meet?

Send a linguist with multiple-personality disorder and a biologist so spliced with machinery that he can’t feel his own flesh. Send a pacifist warrior and a vampire recalled from the grave by the voodoo of paleogenetics. Send a man with half his mind gone since childhood. Send them to the edge of the solar system, praying you can trust such freaks and monsters with the fate of a world. You fear they may be more alien than the thing they’ve been sent to find—but you’d give anything for that to be true, if you knew what was waiting for them. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:37 -0400)

It's been two months since a myriad of alien objects clenched around the Earth, screaming as they burned. The heavens have been silent since. That is until a derelict space probe hears whispers from a distant comet.

198 wanted4 free

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,391,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible