Botchan (1906)

by Natsume Sōseki

8172919,871 (3.55)1 / 58
'All right, I decided, if I couldn't win tonight, I'd win tomorrow. If I couldn't win tomorrow, I'd win the day after. And if I couldn't win the day after, I'd just have my meals delivered from home and stay right where I was until I did win' Botchan is a modern young man from the Tokyo metropolis, sent to the ultra-traditional Matsuyama district as a Maths teacher after his the death of his parents. Cynical, rebellious and immature, Botchan finds himself facing several tests, from the pupils - prone to playing tricks on their new, naïve teacher; the staff - vain, immoral, and in danger of becoming a bad influence on Botchan; and from his own as-yet-unformed nature, as he finds his place in the world. One of the most popular novels in Japan where it is considered a classic of adolescence, Botchanis as funny, poignant and memorable as it was when first published, over 100 years ago. In J. Cohn's introduction to his colourful translation, he discusses Botchan's success, the book's clash between Western intellectualism and traditional Japanese values, and the importance of names and nicknames in the novel. Translated and introduced by J. Cohn… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, TUA_Library, Marcos_Augusto, jfclark, oliverio33, giovannaz63, Hinano, Charlotte_, thelitgeek
Legacy LibrariesJeffBuckley
    Staggerford by Jon Hassler (bunnygirl)
    bunnygirl: Both are about secondary schools in small towns; their protagonists are somewhat outcast from the school staff, and the staff is largely made up of ineffectual, flawed characters who derive enjoyment from playing mind games with the other teachers.
    The Times of Botchan, Volume 1 by Jirô Taniguchi (kaixo)

English (23)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Galician (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (29)
The novel is the story of a middle-class boy born in Tokyo. He is the youngest son and his older brother is the favorite son. But we don't feel sorry for Botchan, as we soon find out why this happens. Botchan is lazy and full of a sense of entitlement. He has no passion and determination and, as he does not want to get a job, after his father dies, he decides to attend school (which is paid for by his brother), believing that with the academy there will be an easy life.

Eventually, he takes a teaching position in a rural community as a math instructor, and this only leads to humorous disputes between teachers and students. Botchan, believes to be superior to this simple country people. Although Botchan is selfish, pampered and believes he is smarter than he really is, he is still a very pleasant character, that laughs at his frustrations. His sense of entitlement makes us hope that others will capture him for his pretensions.

Botchan is someone who can find fault with everyone around him but himself. Although it's his own arrogance that makes reading so much fun. ( )
  Marcos_Augusto | Feb 24, 2021 |
What I'd imagined Japanese style of the period. An abrupt end, not how I would have imagined the the ending. ( )
  SteveMcI | Dec 11, 2020 |
Very enjoyable read, a bit like early Evelyn Waugh filtered through someone who relishes the idea of writing in the voice of an uneducated, naive, morally upright young man, who is also a bit of a jerk. The translator does a pretty solid job, given that filter. ( )
  stillatim | Oct 23, 2020 |
Clever, funny, good times if a bit light. It has a modern feel despite its age (1906). ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
One of the first novels I read in Japanese, now nearly twenty-five years ago. I still remember belly laughs and perhaps even more head shaking while working my way through this delightful tale. Definitely easier going than 川端. ( )
  shum57 | Jul 22, 2019 |

Natsume Sōsekiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sasaki, UmejiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the time I was a boy the reckless streak that runs in my family has brought me nothing but trouble.
Because of an hereditary recklessness, I have been playing always a losing game since my childhood.-----------Translation by Morri/ Kennedy 1919

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,576,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible