Saga, Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan

Saga, Vol. 2

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Fiona Staples (Artist)

Series: Saga (Vol. 2)

I wasn't planning to read this second volume of Saga. I read the first volume, got to the end, saw an author's note that it was a story he thought up as a child, and thought, "Ah, that makes sense." There were elements I liked, but that's not a very flattering thought to have. However, friends urged me to give it another try, and the things I had liked tugged at me a bit, so when I saw this at the library I thought, Why not?

This still had some of the things that turned me off from the first book, namely a childish sort of creature design (and there are a lot of creatures in this series; if you want examples, a few from this book were an alien species that's humanoid but with upside down heads and another that are humanoid mice. I mean, this would be fine if one was going for something a little absurd, but these are characters using obscenities or violence or sexuality — often more than one at the same time — that we're supposed to take at face value) and a lot of unnecessarily rude bits (I have no problem with rude bits, but as with my other complaints, the use of nudity or vulgar language or violence just seemed immature).

Presumably, at some point this professionally published work has to move beyond what the author imagined as a kid simply in terms of ongoing story, and maybe that happened at chapter ten (this volume collects chapters 7-12), because I really started to enjoy it from that point forward. It felt like it was trying to do more than deliver some sort of edgy wish fulfillment to me and actually get into what the story means, and I didn't feel, on the whole, like this was overwhelmed by any of the individual story elements. I liked the focus on the politics and consequences of this space-opera war (which I feel Vaughan has a dab hand at, it was one of the things I most enjoyed about Y: The Last Man), the varied character interactions were interesting and satisfying, and I laughed at the jokes.

I have the next volume already checked out, so I look forward to seeing if this series continues to grow up. ( )
  Jeeps | Jul 26, 2018 |
Wow... okay this one was a lot better than the last! I'm getting a hold of the graphic novel format now and can actually say this one got me very excited. There were lots of good moments and I feel like that now that backstories of the characters have been established, I can enjoy the story a little bit more. Also - the ending was freaking fantastic! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
[b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] continues.

I'm already far too attached to the characters, something I realized about halfway through the book when a confession from one came close to breaking my heart. This hasn't yet reached the soul-shattering proportions of my [b: Chew|11738219|Chewed|Arne Svenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388327588s/11738219.jpg|16687436] read-through, but I can tell that it is liable to. For all the twists and turns of this series (and there's quite a few, given this is only the first two tpbs), it has an enormous heart. [b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] is living in the grey area, and serving as a potent reminder that no one caught up in a war truly wants to be part of it.

The artwork continues to be gorgeous, an to portray things that couldn't be adequately produced on film or described with words alone. The palette is bright and beautiful, subtle expressions showing just what's going on in the character's minds. A few lines made me laugh out loud, and overall the tone of the series is just beautiful. A woman telling the story of her parents and herself, looking back on it all with compassion for even the 'villains.'

A large part of me just wants this story to go on forever, and to know the characters are out there living their lives while I'm living mine.

Yeah, I'm a bit too invested already.

Thanks, Karen. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Still not terribly interesting. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
4.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLetteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manesse, JérémyTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Thanks to her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana, newborn baby Hazel has already survived lethal assassins, rampaging armies, and alien monstrosities, but in the cold vastness of outer space, the little girl encounters her family's greatest challenge yet: the grandparents. Collects SAGA #7-12"--Publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,016,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible