Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead…

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (edition 2013)

by Sheryl Sandberg

Member:fordlibkindles
Title:Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
Authors:Sheryl Sandberg
Info:Knopf (2013), Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Business Best Sellers

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg (Author)

English (85)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (87)
This book inspired me to think of my career in a different way. I agree strongly with her point in the last chapter - women should be helping women. We're in this together even if we make different decisions about whether to work in or outside of the home. Worth the read. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
For decades, we have focused on giving women the choice to work inside or outside the home. We have celebrated the fact that women have the right to make this decision, and rightly so. But we have to ask ourselves if we have become so focused on supporting personal choices that we're failing to encourage women to aspire to leadership. It is time to cheer on girls and women who want to sit at the table, seek challenges, and lean in to their careers.

I am so glad that I finally read this book. I was reminded of its existence after listening to a recent episode of NYT's The Daily podcast, where, during an interview, a female (conservative) political thinker, a former Reagan speechwriter, mentioned Sandberg's book and called that we should support women who want to "lean out," which made me very sad. You would think that a woman with a successful career who was discussing her recent experience at a political conference would be encouraging young women to lead. As Sandberg reiterates in her book, we have enough support for women who want to "lean out," which comes from societal pressure, other women, and internal conflict.

Lean In is spectacular. I want to give a copy to every woman in my life. Sandburg acknowledges that women have to overcome many hurdles to succeed in the workplace, and provides excellent insight and advice on how to navigate life in the workforce while managing a home life. Her advice on negotiating particularly stuck with me.

The negative feedback on this book baffles me. Sheryl Sandburg is honest and truly inspiring. I would recommend this book to everyone in my life. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I found this one useful to read as a woman in the workforce, especially working in tech/Silicon Valley. I don't agree with everything in it, but it's a lot more measured and helpful than I thought it would be after I read all the think pieces about it when it came out. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
it was good, but i didn't really learn anything new. maybe its because i've read too many other books that cite the same information and studies that she does. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
While I can relate to a lot of the issues and concepts addressed in this book and I'm most certainly within the target audience that the author was aiming to reach, I don't know how much I really took away from the book. The majority of the statistics and studies referenced in this book honed in on issues I already knew existed. I would have loved if the book had delved more into those studies and summarized in more detail why we are hardwired to treat men and women differently from early onset. I do appreciate that the author referenced the studies in footnotes but the reality is I likely won't follow up and read those studies to satisfy my curiosity. I did find certain chapters of this book to be useful, especialy chapter 3 which offers a few strategies on how to effectively negotiate for yourself as a businesswoman. Overall, the book made me feel better about my life choices and provided me the support and the "you're not alone" reassurance I figured it would but it wasn't life changing or masterfully enlightening. Perhaps I came into it with too high of expectations based on the million or so people (possible exaggeration) who recommended that I drop everything and read this now. I'm glad I read it, and even more glad that it was a book club read because I truly feel I gained more from book club discussion of this book than I did from reading the book itself. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |

Sandberg, SherylAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scovell, Nellsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Donovan, ElisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO MY PARENTS for raising me to believe that anything is possible AND TO MY HUSBAND for making everything possible
I got pregnant with my first child in the summer of 2004.
I wish I were strong enough to ignore what others say, but experience tells me I often can't. Allowing myself to feel upset, even really upset, and then move on - that's something I can do.
One of the things he (Mark) told me was that my desire to be liked by everyone would hold me back. He said that when you want to change things, you can't please everyone. If you do please everyone, you aren't making enough progress. Mark was right.

Œuvrer pour que plus de femmes accèdent au pouvoir , qu'elles bénéficient des mêmes opportunités que les hommes , qu'elles osent s'affirmer et assumer leurs choix : autant de défis qu propose Sheryl Sandberg dans un livre percutant , plein d'énergie et d'humour , à partir de son expérience personnelle .

Thirty years after women became 50 percent of the college graduates in the United States, men still hold the vast majority of leadership positions in government and industry. This means that women’s voices are still not heard equally in the decisions that most affect our lives. In Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg examines why women’s progress in achieving leadership roles has stalled, explains the root causes, and offers compelling, commonsense solutions that can empower women to achieve their full potential.

Sandberg is the chief operating officer of Facebook and is ranked on Fortune’s list of the 50 Most Powerful Women in Business and as one of Time’s 100 Most Influential People in the World. In 2010, she gave an electrifying TEDTalk in which she described how women unintentionally hold themselves back in their careers. Her talk, which became a phenomenon and has been viewed more than two million times, encouraged women to “sit at the table,” seek challenges, take risks, and pursue their goals with gusto.

In Lean In, Sandberg digs deeper into these issues, combining personal anecdotes, hard data, and compelling research to cut through the layers of ambiguity and bias surrounding the lives and choices of working women. She recounts her own decisions, mistakes, and daily struggles to make the right choices for herself, her career, and her family. She provides practical advice on negotiation techniques, mentorship, and building a satisfying career, urging women to set boundaries and to abandon the myth of “having it all.”  She describes specific steps women can take to combine professional achievement with personal fulfillment and demonstrates how men can benefit by supporting women in the workplace and at home.

Written with both humor and wisdom, Sandberg’s book is an inspiring call to action and a blueprint for individual growth. Lean In is destined to change the conversation from what women can’t do to what they can.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook COO and one of "Fortune" magazine's most powerful women in business looks at what women can do to help themselves, and make the small changes in their life that can effect change on a more universal scale. She draws on her own experiences working in some of the world's most successful businesses, as well as academic research, to find practical answers to the problems facing women in the workplace.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,717,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible