Along Came Trouble by Ruthie Knox

Along Came Trouble

by Ruthie Knox

Series: Camelot (2)

2013 (2) America (1) ARC Copy (1) contemporary (7) contemporary romance (3) current (1) currently-reading (3) divorce (1) ebook (9) epub (1) erotica (1) family (1) fiction (1) for review (1) funny (1) I loved it! (1) K (1) kobo (1) mar13 (2) Mom (2) netgalley (3) nook (1) Ohio (1) own (2) read (1) read in 2013 (2) romance (10) series (1) small town (1) to-read (15)

I loved Along Came Trouble! Ellen was determined not to even like Caleb, seeing him as a thorn in her side, a distraction she didn't need in her life. Caleb started out only wanting to charm Ellen into going along with his security measures for his client Jamie, Ellen's famous brother. She fought Caleb every step of the way, especially since he was such a gorgeous hunk of man set to change her independent way of life. The chemistry between them is explosive and the interaction between them romantic and smokin' hot! Not only a sexy read, but one packed with a lot of laughs! ( )
  Bookshellz | Jan 23, 2014 |
After reading (and loving) [b:How to Misbehave|16162932|How To Misbehave|Ruthie Knox|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1353497599s/16162932.jpg|22005525], I was ready to be swept off my feet with the first longer novel from Ruthie Knox.

And. Well. I wasn't.

And I'm trying to put my finger on why that was, exactly. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the book; I did. Three stars to me means I liked it. But, well, 3 stars for a book by Ruthie is rather low.

Let's start with what I did like... The plot was interesting and engaging. I always enjoy small town stories, and the setting of Camelot, Ohio was no different for me.

And, of course, Caleb. If there's one thing Ruthie does well it's writing a strong, unfy, swoony male lead. He was hard in all the right places (*ahem*), but still soft as well. She balanced him beautifully. Almost too beautifully, and I think that maybe why the spotlight shone so brightly on Ellen (and, unfortunately, not in a good way).

Ellen. Hmm. Well, I didn't like her. I thought I was going to at first. She was all big brass balls and sharp wit and strength. And then that started to get old. At about 50% in, I started to wonder when she'd give a little. At 75%, I was ready to lead Caleb by the hand to the nearest bar and find him someone else. She grew as a character too little, too late, in my opinion, and even though by the end she'd balanced out nicely, it was not enough in my eyes.

The rest of the characters, though, I enjoyed. Ruthie's secondary characters have a way of coming to life right off the pages. Nana. Caleb's younger sister, Katie. His dad. Even Henry, though I'll admit to not loving the addition of the child in this book. However, after reading How to Misbehave, I was rather disappointed that we saw virtually nothing of Tony and Amber. Instead, we got this odd side-plot of Carly and Ellen's brother Jamie. I'm not a fan of the multiple romantic-story line plots, and this one was no exception. I want my books focused on two people, that's it.

The only other thing that didn't quite sit right with me was the three day time-span. In all honesty, it didn't feel like only three days while we were reading, but still. Three days and you're singing the happily ever after song? That was a little hard for me to swallow.

Finally, the steam in this was way way low as compared to Ruthie's other books, and even as compared to the novella that started off this whole series.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a few hours, but nowhere near her best work. (instead, see: [b:About Last Night|13414764|About Last Night|Ruthie Knox|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327173323s/13414764.jpg|18714133], [b:Ride with Me|12991105|Ride with Me|Ruthie Knox|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327953797s/12991105.jpg|18151138], or the first in this series [b:How to Misbehave|16162932|How To Misbehave|Ruthie Knox|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1353497599s/16162932.jpg|22005525].

CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
Okay. Rarely do I read a book with a heroine named "Ellen." I don't understand that. It is a lovely name, not too common, not too weird. It is just right ;-).

Anyway, I will readily admit the "hero" was my favorite of the two main characters. He seemed sensible, sweet, very empathetic and understanding.

My girl Ellen, on the other hand, well, let's just say I am impressed with how patient Caleb (the hero) was. I don't know that I would have been quite that open to negotiation (although their negotiations were quite fun).

Caleb's security company is given the task of providing personal protection to Jamie the rock star's twin sister (Ellen) and her next-door-neighbor, who just happens to be said rock star's ex, who just happens to be pregnant with a sperm-donor baby. Yeah. Seemed a bit much to me, too, but it is all woven in nicely to the plot.

Instead of being grateful for the "protection," the young women are quite put out with the disruption of their lives. I felt that both women were immature and petty and too tiresome for words over most of the security issues (but I will also say, I think the setup was a little too much as far as the security detail for the sister. Okay, the ex-GF, that's another story). The reasoning behind Ellen's behavior is explained in the book, but I still felt that as a mother/lawyer/reasonable adult, she should have been a bit more mature in her responses to the steps of personal protection, especially when she has a young child to protect.

Anyway, this book takes us through the exploration of the relationship possibilities of the bodyguard and the sister of the rock star. It is a very enjoyable read, almost sweet, with lots of hot loving (although some of the love scene descriptions made me dizzy with trying to figure out just how "that" was possible, or even if it was enjoyable once accomplished).

If you don't like plot moppets, well, you might have a couple of issues. Ellen's two-year-old son is large and in charge.

There is a subplot of the relationship between Jamie and the next-door-neighbor. I also found that that story had all sorts of "oh, really" moments for me. But I still enjoyed it. Willing suspension of disbelief and all that.

It is a fun, well-written book. There were a few typos in the Kindle version, some mysterious punctuation that seems to just appear. But it was well edited and just the right length.

Now, this is part of the Camelot series. I had read the prequel novella so I knew some of the family members, but it is not necessary to have read it to understand the story. It is just a nice little, oh, yeah, I remember them moment or two. ( )
  paideiamom | Sep 22, 2013 |
3.5 stars

So many other readers had problems with the heroine. I actually quite liked her and understood why she behaved that way (even though I felt sorry for the hero at times).
My problem was more the pacing. It was quite slow at the beginning and the hero fell in love with the heroine in a very short time. They only knew each other for some days. I couldn't believe in that. And, I know I'm in the minority here, but the secondary love story wasn't really my cup of tea. But I have to say I'm generally not fond of rock star heroes.

Still, I absolutely recommend this book to anyone who loves contemporary romance with smart characters and new plot twists. ( )
  ClaudiaGC | Sep 21, 2013 |
Originally reviewed at http://scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/a-nix-review-along-came-troub...

After reading About Last Night, I just had to request Along Came Trouble once I saw it appear on Net Galley. As in the afore mentioned book, the writing is fluent and lovely but this one has a light and fluffy feeling that I did adore. With a host of characters to warm to, there really is something for everyone in this one.

Caleb is...well, Caleb is just plain fantastic. An army vet who has returned to take care of his ailing fathers business, he starts up the security company that Ellen’s famous brother hires to protect her and his pregnant ex-girlfriend. He tries so fricking hard with Ellen I think he wins the award for the most patient hero in romance. She is a giant pain in the ass about everything but he keeps on trying with her. I loved him. She fights him on her safety, on their relationship and on the situations that arise throughout the book; I’d have given up on her a quarter of the way through the book. Instead he finds ways to negotiate through it all and ends up doing a pretty fine job inspite of her. I loved his negotiation of their sexual relationship and the way he told her things he knew she wouldn’t want to hear about his feelings whilst she was...err.... engaged :D He was crafty, brave, loving and ever so sexy.

Ellen. Well, Ellen was a giant pain in the arse. She found fault with absolutely everything the poor man tried to do and I periodically lost my temper with her. I can understand the need to be selfish at certain points of your life, but not the expense of such a lovely man as Caleb. I know she had a lot on her plate, I know that they came across each other at a horrible time in her life, but there are no excuses. I didn’t think that she was good enough for him but he was set on his path. I did enjoy the protectiveness she had towards her charges, her experiences of her younger brother being screwed over by greedy agents giving her a fire that made her most appealing in that way. She never really redeemed herself fully when it came to her relationship with Caleb, but in many other ways she was exactly the type of heroine I enjoy to read about.

Was there chemistry though? Yes, there certainly was. The sex was often, hot and very very dirty. In the bedroom was the only place I think they fit together properly. There were no compromises and no negotiation; they enjoyed each other and the pleasure they created. I loved the sex scenes, chocolate sauce and all!

There was a delightful subplot with the famous brother and his ex-girlfriend. In places (i.e. the stripping episode) this actually threatened to steal the book but the author did well in making sure that there was always something else to keep my attention firmly on the main couple. I loved this part to the book and hope to see more of them in the third of the series.

This is a fast-paced sexy book which kept me happy until the end. With a host of fun characters, that have already sold me on the next book, it is a read that I would recommend to anyone that likes feel-good romantic contemporaries. I love Caleb....he is awesome :D
  Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |

An accomplished lawyer and driven single mother, Ellen Callahan isn't looking for any help. She's doing just fine on her own. So Ellen's more than a little peeved when her brother, an international pop star, hires a security guard to protect her from a prying press that will stop at nothing to dig up dirt on him. But when the tanned and toned Caleb Clark shows up at her door, Ellen might just have to plead the fifth. Back home after a deployment in Iraq and looking for work as a civilian, Caleb signs on as Ellen's bodyguard. After combat in the hot desert sun, this job should be a breeze. But guarding the willful beauty is harder than he imagined and Caleb can't resist the temptation to mix business with pleasure. With their desires growing more undeniable by the day, Ellen and Caleb give in to an...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,936,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible