Day by Night by Tanith Lee

Day by Night (edition 1980)

by Tanith Lee

Member:elenalda
Title:Day by Night
Authors:Tanith Lee
Info:DAW (1980), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback

Day by Night by Tanith Lee

My experience with Tanith Lee’s novels is rather hit and miss, and I’m afraid this one falls into the latter category. Only my love of some of her other works kept me reading until the end - to be ultimately disappointed.

This is actually two stories; in one the vapid Vitra is a Fabulast who lives on the dark side of the planet, and she is writing a story about the spoiled Vel Thaidis who lives on the light side of the planet. Or is it a story? After a crime is committed in each world, the stories strangely take on a life of their own – which is explained in the last chapter.

Definitely not Lee’s best work, but you can see shadows of concepts explored more fully in other books, like the spoiled teens from Don’t Bite The Sun and the evil (almost incestuous) twins of The Silver Metal Lover. She hints at the eroticism that is an integral part of her other works, but never delivers.

memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
To Bernard Lee, my Father,
who generously gave me a planet, and all its problems.
Half a staed below the palace of Hirz, the formal gardens gradually smoothed themselves into the curve of the lake shore.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,807,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible