One Heart to Win by Johanna Lindsey

One Heart to Win (edition 2014)

by Johanna Lindsey

191691,267 (3.5)2
Member:tutter1297
Title:One Heart to Win
Authors:Johanna Lindsey
Info:Pocket Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages

One Heart to Win by Johanna Lindsey

I finished this book in record time for me! Couldn't put it down! Loved the romance, fun, humour, and loved the story, despite some eye rolling on my part. The heroine is a privileged girl posing as a housekeeper -- but she has a riding habit, she eats with the family, is given a guest room upstairs in the main house, and is invited to ride the range with the family!? I thought the family must surely see through her deception to offer these privileges to a lowly housekeeper, but no, that was not the case. In any event, I loved it!! Quick and easy read! ( )
  junepearl | Apr 2, 2016 |
One arranged marriage, a family feud, a wife and mother with a desparate secret estranged from her husband, and a young woman who can't cook, and doesn't know anything about cleaning who successfully disguises herself as a housekeeper. Oh, a pig and a number of good looking young men.

If that sounds like something of a muddle, the book won't disappoint. A convoluted plot with too many strings, not enough reality, and either too many characters or not enough words. Definitely one to borrow, not buy. ( )
  SunnySD | Sep 7, 2013 |
Good book though not as good as her older books, especially the Malory series. Tiffany has been living in New York City with her mom for the last fifteen years. She knows she's engaged to Hunter, but she has no interest in going to the wilderness and marrying a cowboy. Mom tells her she needs to go out there and spend at least two months getting to know the man before she decides. When she arrives she takes advantage of a mistaken identity to become the housekeeper at the Callahan ranch. This gives her a chance to see Hunter in his natural environment, not making nice because he has to. It took me awhile to warm up to Tiffany. She came across as a spoiled brat in the first few chapters. Once she got to the ranch she really had to step up and act like she knew what she was doing. This made for some pretty funny moments as she learned to cook, deal with farm animals, and do things she's never had to do before. She also doesn't quite know what to make of Hunter. He's handsome, charming, funny and showing an inappropriate interest in her. He admits the engagement, but also that he's not enthusiastic about it. Tiffany finds herself more and more attracted to him, but also not happy that he's making moves on the housekeeper while he's engaged to another woman. She also discovers that she has no resistance to his advances. Tiffany also has to deal with her feelings about her father who she hasn't seen in all these years. She thinks he just doesn't care about her and takes out those hurt feelings in her attitude toward him. She is determined to end the feud without being the sacrificial lamb to do it.

Hunter is the oldest of the Callahan boys and the one chosen to marry Tiffany to end the feud. He's not happy about it and really hopes that she'll break it off when she arrives. That becomes even more important to him when "Jennifer" the housekeeper arrives. He falls hard for her very quickly and spends a lot of time teasing her and flirting with her. I enjoyed the way that he liked flustering her. He also challenged her because his teasing made her want to be able to do the things she should be able to do. It was pretty neat to see the way that Hunter really started to care for her and see that he wanted her, not his fiancee. His shock and anger when he found out about the deception was pretty realistic. He also didn't let it throw him for long before he realized that he could end the feud and have the woman he wanted all at the same time. I liked the way that he didn't back down from confrontations with the miners even when he was outnumbered. I liked the way that the younger generation dealt with the feud with mostly harmless pranks.

The story had two things going on besides the romance. There was the feud, what caused it and how to end it. This was more important to the fathers than to the sons. There was also the mystery of why Tiffany's mom had left Montana and refused to have anything to do with her husband. That was resolved in a neat package at the end without too much difficulty. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Aug 27, 2013 |
I put this down after about 10 pages. The protagonist's name is Tiffany but the book is set in the 1880s. That struck a false note that continued with very modern dialogue and reasoning that I just could not suspend disbelief for. ( )
  montano | Jul 22, 2013 |
Tiffany Warren was betrothed to the family's Montana neighbor's oldest son at the age of 3 in order to stop the feud that exists between the ranching families. She's spent the last 15 years living with her mother in NY who refuses to share why she left her husband but still stayed married. She's now being forced to go to Montana for the upcoming wedding to Hunter, and worse, meet the father who never bothered to visit and is a stranger to her.

Mistaken identity has her seizing an opportunity to work as the housekeeper at the Callahan ranch in order to get to know what Hunter, her fiancé, is really like as well as avoid meeting her father. Of course Hunter falls for the housekeeper, making things even more awkward.

If you haven't read this author before you'll find an ok story that moves kind of slow with a little mystery to it, some interesting characters with a somewhat humorous situation. It wouldn't be enough to have me checking out the author's books.

But if you're familiar with the author's earlier writings--been reading them for about 35 years now--I believe you might be as disenchanted by the story as I was. I couldn't connect with Tiffany and while the overall story kind of dragged, components of it felt rushed; such as the scene that finally unites both families for a common goal. Don't get me wrong, there were some scenes that I enjoyed, but it's difficult to separate the quality of this tale to earlier books; some of which I've read numerous times. It's missing the spark that sucked me into her stories.

I give this 3 stars for those new to the author. Only 2 stars for those familiar with prior books. ( )
  dearheart | Jun 27, 2013 |

Lindsey, Johannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, MarilynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

To honor her mothers wishes, elegant Tiffany Warren travels to Montana Territory to meet her estranged father and his enemys son, Hunter Callahan, the rancher her parents have arranged for her to marry in order to end a decades old feud. Surviving a chaotic journey, disheveled Tiffany is mistaken for her fathers housekeeper and is promptly stolen by the rival Callahans! The hostile move puts her daringly close to Hunter, a seductive charmer who cant keep his eyes or his hands off his alluring new housekeeper. When her charade is exposed, Tiffany calls off their wedding; how can she marry a man who cant resist the woman she pretends to be? But Hunter sets out to claim Tiffany, sophisticated and sensuous, proper and passionate, as his rightful bride to be, knowing that he has but one heart to win.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,547,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible