Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Colleen Hoover (2012), Kindle Edition, 488 pages
Tags:kindle, read, young adult, 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

English (95)  Czech (1)  Italian (1)  All (97)
Well, it's not a bad book. It's definitely a rollercoaster and full of heavy stuff, which I thought was mostly well-done. The only problem is that I didn't really care about the characters? Especially about Holder, I didn't like him at all. And most of it is quite predictable, although there were some parts that surprised me. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Loved! ( )
  michellejester | Jun 17, 2017 |
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

When 17-year old Sky meets Dean Holder, she finds that she not only has found a guy with a reputation that rivals her own, but also has an uncanny ability to invoke feelings that she's never had before. He both terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried. Sky struggles to keep him at a distance, knowing he's nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn't at all who he's been claiming to be. When the secret's he's been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky's life will change forever.

Colleen Hoover really never ceases to amaze me with her writing. I always think I know what the big plot twist is and then I am completely blindsided by not only the main plot twist, but usually a second one as well. So I have been saving Hopeless and Losing Hope because Hoover's next book doesn't come out until this fall, but I finally caved and read it. And not only am I incredibly happy that I did, but I am mad that I didn't read it sooner.

I don't want to give away much of the plot line beyond the blurb above, but basically we meet Sky, the main character who is 17, has been home-schooled her whole life and decides to finally attend public school for her senior year of high school. She has a best friend named Six who lives next door to her and a mother who despises technology, so Sky doesn't have a cell phone, TV or internet like most people her age. She loves running, reading and eating ice cream with Six, until she runs into Holder in the grocery store and again while she is out running. Holder ends up also attending the public high school she has just started at and they begin running together everyday.

One of the things I love about Colleen Hoover's books is that there really is never any "insta-love'" which is a huge pet peeve of mine. And I find that all of her characters seem quite realistic to me as well. This book is written from the perspective of Sky and also flashes back a few times throughout the book to fill us in on her childhood. The author also has a special ability to make me cry and I do not cry very often when reading. There are only a select few authors and books that evoke that emotional response from me. I also laughed so many times during this book, as with all her other books, she seems to integrate her own sense of humor into the characters and I absolutely love it. Every time I am reading one of her books, I cannot figure out how she comes up with these incredible plot lines. I also really enjoy the way she writes sex scenes; I find, at least for me, she has the perfect balance of great sex scenes, without turning it into smut, which in most cases, I am not a fan of. I have to say out of all her books, this one is in my top 3, along with Ugly Love and It Ends With Us. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it. Losing Hope, the second book in the series, is written from Holder's perspective so I am really excited to start that as well. Happy reading! ( )
  mrsreadsbooks | Jun 5, 2017 |
10 stars if it were possible.

What an amazing book!

OMG! Once more Colleen Hoover brings us a great story. I have no words to express my feelings right now.
  Angelzinhamia | May 12, 2017 |
I won this signed first edition paperback and was delighted. I have read Colleen Hoover’s work before and feel she will not let me down in Hopeless about a seventeen year old girl and her first love.

The first guy she felt something for and…

He’s a dropout, he’s moody, he’s got a temper and…he’s just…Hopeless.

When they lay on the airport runway and gaze at the stars it brought back memories of Mr Wonderful and I laying on the tennis court at Cape Cod and stargazing ourselves.

I loved it, but the way it was written made it seem like the characters were older.

Colleen Hoover’s writing makes the story unfold with fun bantering dialogue in an easy reading story as they discover each other and we watch the complex characters grow and develop. ( )
  sherry69 | Apr 24, 2017 |

Sky, a senior in high school, meets Dean Holder, a guy with a promiscuous reputation that rivals her own. From their very first encounter, he terrifies and captivates her. Something about him sparks memories of her deeply troubled past, a time she's tried so hard to bury. Though Sky is determined to stay far away from him, his unwavering pursuit and enigmatic smile break down her defenses and the intensity of the bond between them grows. But the mysterious Holder has been keeping secrets of his own, and once they are revealed, Sky is changed forever and her ability to trust may be a casualty of the truth.--From back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,159,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible