Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Colleen Hoover (2012), Kindle Edition, 488 pages
Tags:kindle, read, young adult, 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

I don't have any cohesive sentences to describe just how good I thought this book was. The charters are amazing. The storyline though gut wrenching and at times heartbreaking, was beyond incredible. Lets just leave it off at saying this book was beyond good and I'm sorry it took me so long to read it. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 17, 2014 |
I don't understand the hype of this book. It's so touchy feely, it makes you feel slightly nauseous. It's predictable and far too drawn out. I've read some crap books this year and this is another one I'd throw onto the steaming heap of turdish books.

Holder is constantly touching Sky's face. Now I don't really understand face groping, Personally I'd be worried about spots. Next he has reddish hair, nice! Multiple personalities ranging from deranged to sickeningly sweet. But that's ok because he's "passionate"!
The other problem (believe me I had lots of problems with this book) was how easily it was for Sky to accept being raped night after night. She still had love for the person that did that to her without therapy because she's oh so strong. She forgave him because she remembered one let me repeat ONE memory of affection from the age of 0 to 3 yrs! What utter bollocks!

Why are so many people giving this a high rating? It doesn't make any sense! The only thing it could possibly be is the idea of Holder who had sex with Sky the very same day she realised she had been molested repeatedly as a child. Go Holder! ( )
  Yogiboo | Jul 17, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this story. The characters were well developed. The story line was believable. The author did a great job of making the reader feel the depth of the emotion and what the characters were going through. I also felt the author did a fantastic job at revealing information at just the right time impacting the reader in a tangible way. I truly felt what the characters were feeling and going through. ( )
1 vote RomansGirl | Jun 18, 2014 |
I wanted to read Hopeless because I love NA, and I have heard so many great reviews about it. So, when I saw it for free on amazon about a month ago, I knew that I had to get it, and my trip to NJ provided some time in my reading schedule that I could get to it.
I was not disappointed. I loved Sky's character even though I was a bit confused by the opening. I was yearning to know what was going on and it took us back so that we could piece together what led her and Holder to that moment. Sky has some unique relationships all around and that kept things interesting. Her adoptive mom Karen is strict on no-technology and then very lenient in others, and I love the way they are together, just accepting but still Karen wanting the best for Sky. Sky and her best friend from next door have this friendship where they love and support each other even if they may not necessarily agree with the other's choices. Six, the above mentioned best friend, sleeps with a lot of guys and has gotten quite a negative name for herself, which makes me so infuriated--guys can do whatever and sleep or say they sleep with all kinds of girls and its okay, but women get judged and I think that its an important issue that they talk about.
Holder is infuriating at times, and so sweet, thoughtful and considerate at others. Sky just doesn't blindly accept his mood swings though, she knows that he has a dark past and she knows part of it about his sister. They also share the bond of rumors about them both going around of which, not all of it or none of it is true. They feel this deep connection though and they talk about so much and try to always be honest with each other, but some things are hard to talk about and they cover that well.

They have an undeniable chemistry and sexual tension between them, and I love every second of it. Knowing that Sky feels numb when kissing most boys, Holder really takes that aspect slowly. Especially kissing on the lips, kissing other places is def okay, and we see that he makes Sky feel things. Sexy things. Romantic things. Lustful things. But they never really get as explicit as most NA, so I think that makes a good transition if you've never read an NA before and used to just kisses or fade to black in YA.
I really appreciate how they don't jump to saying I love you, and admit that they aren't there but still want to acknowledge that its deep and they haven't really felt that before.
The more we learn about Holder though and see his actions at times, the more that I want to know about what he hasn't told yet.
The secret that finally came out was def unique and shocking, but little clues and some of her dreams and the timing led me to believe something similar. I just couldn't piece together the details and man were they amazing and so well thought out. I can't imagine being in a similar situation for any of them or what I would have done.

Bottom Line: Powerful and romantic NA. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Feb 8, 2014 |
I've uttered about a million and a half oh my gosh's while reading the book. I had to constantly remind myself to keep my reactions at a medium decibel at least. Reading such an intense story I did the typical laughing, yelling, gasping, crying, and trust me it was not in vain. Hopeless was a beautifully written story that as "they" say tugs at your heartstrings and never lets go for a second. This was the most heartwarming, gut wrenching, mind blowing, and sleep depriving thing I've every read(went to sleep at 7am). Damn, Colleen Hoover can weave a story. As I read the story I was so mesmerized by how things kept coming together. Hopeless is one of those books for me that is so good and made me such an emotional wreck that i'm not sure where or how to start reviewing it. I don't think I can do it justice and afraid to give away too much. But I will try. Whatever comes out of my fingers through the keyboard is what I will have to settle for I guess.

Sky is a dream protagonist, no constant whining, straightforward, crazy sense of humor, wasn't caught up on her looks, or was she a push over, being in her head wasn't a pain. She's a good friend and daughter. She gets a kick out of gossip and rumors about her, weird and cool at the same time.

Holder is the guy you want to have by your side when things are rapidly going to shit. Holder is the soul tortured thinker who would lay down is life for the ones he love.

From the first chapter of Hopeless you can tell things are going to get pretty intense and has the chapters go by things start to come together, every out of the ordinary reaction or dislike Sky had had an explanation. The same goes for Holder's supposed split personality. I tried to figure out what was the ultimate plot of the story, but I was very surprised when I found out, no way I could have figured that out. I still can't get over the reactions this book elicited from me, towards the end I was so choked up at the lines Hoover wrote for her characters. There were very sweet lines from the beginning but as the story progressed things got heavier and so did the scenes and dialogue. WOW.

I read Slammed, loved it and Hoover's writing, and had no doubt about reading Hopeless. Yeah there's a lot hype about this book so believe in it. I love Hoover's twists with the title's of her books. This one really surprised me. I really live, live, Hopeless. Trust me, that's not a typo. Read it.

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

Sky, a senior in high school, meets Dean Holder, a guy with a promiscuous reputation that rivals her own. From their very first encounter, he terrifies and captivates her. Something about him sparks memories of her deeply troubled past, a time she's tried so hard to bury. Though Sky is determined to stay far away from him, his unwavering pursuit and enigmatic smile break down her defenses and the intensity of the bond between them grows. But the mysterious Holder has been keeping secrets of his own, and once they are revealed, Sky is changed forever and her ability to trust may be a casualty of the truth.--From back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,614,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible