Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Colleen Hoover (2012), Kindle Edition, 488 pages
Tags:kindle, read, young adult, 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

I’d like to start off by saying that Colleen Hoover is a great writer. She’s proven this in both Slammed and its sequel Point of Retreat. Hopeless is another well written novel from one of the great writers to come out of the Indie world. Yet, it’s not the only thing that makes a book. There are a few aspects to “great writing” and while a lot of it was great for this book, some things fell flat.

I know all books can’t be the fast reads that make reading almost effortless and the story unfold before the reader’s eyes. It’s just that the flow of Hopeless didn’t go all that smoothly at times. I enjoyed having the flashback chapters. I enjoyed the fact that Sky’s younger voice was used for most of these. Despite this, I feel it disrupted me as I was reading along. It wasn’t just the flashbacks either. Overall I feel the book was a bit sluggish for at least the first half, if not until around 60%. Again, books don’t already have to excite the reader right away, I get that. But once the story picked up, it seems like too much of what was established in the first half was just tossed aside. Due to the nature of the events of this book, it’s understandable to move on with the plot, (I’ll be a bit vague here as to avoid spoilers as much as I can) but there were two characters that had barely a mention after certain point. When they were brought up again, it only seemed out of minor consideration that they’d be worried, then they go away again.

There were also a few more things that irked me; things that seemed to be forgotten and left unsolved. Again, I won’t say too much. It’s really hard not to add spoilers this time around so I just won’t attempt to skirt around things. Bottom line, I still had questions about various aspects of the book. And some other things just hit me the wrong way…and I’m very liberal when it comes to what’s in books. Nothing really can get to me.

With all that said about what I didn’t really care for in the book, there were many great things to mention. There are issues brought up in this book that might be hard to stomach for some readers, especially women (men, as well; don’t get me wrong). Yet, while it might be hard to read about it, I think it’s great that someone might be able to find some help by seeing how a character deals with a similar situation. While the events were played out in a slightly unrealistic fashion, ways to cope could be taken away from the story. So in that sense the book was great.

The book also set up most of the characters very well, and took a good amount of time to do so. I feel this lead to the sluggish start of the book, as well. The setting and description put me in each and every moment of the story. As I said in the beginning, Hoover is a great writer. She knows her stuff. This is the reason why I DID enjoy the story. It’s also the reason why I’m torn between full enjoyment and questioning more things than I’d like to.

Do I recommend this book to other readers? Absolutely. Already, the day after I’ve finished it, it has sparked discussion with some friends of mine. I’ve been able to talk to them and pick it apart piece by piece and find understanding of a few more questions here and there. In the end, that is what a great book should do. A book should make readers think and come back to the book later on in discussion.

So did I have issues with Hopeless? Well, yes, yes I did. But did I throw it in a fire like some readers might just for disagreeing with some stuff? No. It wasn’t a bad book in any sense or the word.

I’d really like to see where Hoover goes from here. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
I hate to use this word to rate a book, but this book is stupid.

I found out the same thing about myself at the same age as Hope and I'm telling you, my immediate reaction was not to go have sex with my boyfriend.

I love CoHo but this is really by far the worst book I've ever read. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
WOW!!! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Out of all the new adult I've read so far, this one has dealt with the most"grown up" issues, which is impressive when you realize that this book features two high school students. Socially awkward and technology impaired, Sky, convinces her mom to let her attend her senior yea of high school in an actual school. Homeschooled for her entire life, she wants to see what it's like to be surrounded by her peers. While there she encounters Holder, this sultry hott bad boy and the two have an instant connection. While getting to know him, Sky realizes that he's holding something back. When she finally finds out what it is her life will be shattered. The simple carefree life she had known is blown to bits and she has to discover if she has what it takes to find out the whole truth and pick up the pieces. Dark at times, but still rewarding. The young couples too good to be true romance though will have you hating every male you've ever known though, because none can possibly compete with the romantic and sexual prowess of Holder. Soo far probably my favorite novel in this genre. ( )
  ecataldi | May 22, 2015 |
I don't have any cohesive sentences to describe just how good I thought this book was. The charters are amazing. The storyline though gut wrenching and at times heartbreaking, was beyond incredible. Lets just leave it off at saying this book was beyond good and I'm sorry it took me so long to read it.
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

Sky, a senior in high school, meets Dean Holder, a guy with a promiscuous reputation that rivals her own. From their very first encounter, he terrifies and captivates her. Something about him sparks memories of her deeply troubled past, a time she's tried so hard to bury. Though Sky is determined to stay far away from him, his unwavering pursuit and enigmatic smile break down her defenses and the intensity of the bond between them grows. But the mysterious Holder has been keeping secrets of his own, and once they are revealed, Sky is changed forever and her ability to trust may be a casualty of the truth.--From back cover.… (more)

33 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible