High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1) by…

High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Mona Hanna

Member:Kelly.Walker
Title:High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Authors:Mona Hanna
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 96 pages
Rating:***

High Witch by Mona Hanna

This is book #1 in the High Witch series. Brayden works at an inn and has been dreaming of a woman for 30 nights straight. When Ariel Williams comes to the inn looking for a room he discovers she is the girl of his dreams. He also discovers that she has powers she has been suppressing most of her life because she can't control them. Brayden's mother is a witch and he begins teaching Ariel how to use and control her powers. This is when he discovers she is one of only three high witches. The danger comes from a warlock named Julius who puts a high witch through a test in which she must choose to kill herself or one that she loves. If she kills the one she loves she will turn dark and be bound to Julius where he will use her power for himself. Brayden and Ariel flee but it will only be a matter of time before they will encounter Julius and Nadia (the current High Witch bound to him) and Ariel will have to face the test.

This novella only took me a couple hours to read. I like paranormal books but don't read a whole lot with witches. I found the idea of the High Witch to be interesting and hope it will develop more in the next book which is waiting on my kindle. I would have liked a bit more back story on the characters so that I could have connected better with them. Their instant love of each other was a bit rushed to me as I like to see relationships develop a bit slower. The scenes where she is learning magic were descriptive and this was overall a quick read that did hold my interest. I look forward to reading the next book to see what happens to Brayden and Ariel.

I received a free digital version of this book from the publisher, Mona Hanna, via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  aharris1971 | Mar 9, 2016 |
Could have made a good book if the author could make up her mind about whether she wanted it to be for adults or middle schoolers. Initially, when I began reading book 1 I thought maybe I could get my teenager to read it then the sex scene came in and I thought maybe not. The story and most of the dialogue was simple, seemingly targeted at young readers but then you have these intimate scenes which just seem so out of place. The potential in the storyline is definitely there but the execution and grammar/ language / sentence construction is immature. It read like the over-emotional overdramatic dialogue of movies from the 30s. An OK read, if you enjoy this style

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Ash_P | Mar 8, 2016 |
A young adult fantasy about an untrained witch and an evil warlock.

Synopsis:

Every night Brayden dreams of a girl he has never met. Then one day she appears at the Inn where Brayden works. He soon learns that the young girl, Ariel is a witch - but not just any witch she is a high witch, resulting in a colossal amount of power. Although one of only three high witches in the world, her family beg her to keep her powers a secret, believing only bad things can result from them. As Ariel begins to learn to control her powers, the two hear of a plot by a warlock named Julius, who bends the power of high witches to his will, in order to preserve his immortal life. So Brayden and Ariel attempt to flee into hiding, in order to stop Julius’s evil plans, but how long can the couple keep running?

Review:

I really wanted to love this book. The plot sounds so interesting, and as I received the box set of the trilogy though LibraryThing, I could not wait to get my teeth sunk into this. I love a good witchy story and the novella does have its good points - I loved the idea of their only being three high witches at a time - as soon as one dies, another is born into the world, regardless if the parents are magical. This was a bit of a twist on the usual generation after generation of witches element that these types of story often have. I thought it was pretty interesting that she keeps her powers a secret, meaning she has so much untapped power and there were so many things she could learn to do and discover about herself.

This however, was where my enjoyment of the book ended. I know that the book is a novella, and Hanna obviously has a lot to cram into such a small word length but in the first twenty odd pages Brayden and Ariel meet, they fall and love and decide they are soul mates, they learn Ariel is a witch - but not just any witch, and that Brayden has witches in his family and can therefore teach her everything she needs to know. The whole book just felt a bit too Disney for my tastes. I felt there was so much potential for seeing Ariel grow as a character, learning to control her powers and use them to stop Julius, but these scenes are skipped over quickly in favour of longer romantic scenes and it left me feeling a bit disappointed that her magic was not more explored.

There were some enjoyable twists in the story - the introduction of Brayden’s mother and a few other little surprises that I didn't foresee, if you’re a fan of romance novels there is plenty of romantic elements in the story - though that doesn't particularly appeal to me. In true Disney fashion the novel ends with a wedding and a happily ever after so for me it felt a little too predictable, but hopefully with another two books to come perhaps there will be more opportunity to explore the magic and history behind the witches of this world. All in all a fun, enjoyable little novella with lots of romance and a pretty interesting plot. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Jan 14, 2015 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review the name drew me because I love anything paranormal though I must admit I totally hate the cover the blurb is a little short but right to the point.

I don't like how the book started with Brayden in love with Ariel as soon as he sees her even though he's been having dreams about her it just didn't sit right with me the way it was written. I also found it strange that him having no magic would attempt to train a witch. And that having no magical ability whatsoever he was able to discern that Ariel is a High Witch.

The book continues in it's ridiculousness with Brayden and Ariel immediately falling into bed together and 5 minutes later figuring out that his great great great grandfather is after Ariel to put her through this test that will turn her into an evil witch and bind her to him forever. I'm really not buying the concept of this story it's creative but the author is just not selling it right. There are just parts of the story that don't make sense like why they traveled 2 days to get to his mothers when she could have transported them by magic.

This book wasn't horrible but I won't say it was good. I wouldn't really recommend it. ( )
  jayblac21 | May 24, 2014 |
Great novella. Just enough without the fluff. A book to take along for lunch.
  MyChristineHobbs | Dec 30, 2013 |

Is contained in

Brayden gazed into the woman’s vivid blue eyes.

Mona Hanna is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,001,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible