High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1) by…

High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Mona Hanna

5719207,436 (3.26)1
Title:High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Authors:Mona Hanna
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 96 pages

High Witch by Mona Hanna

A young adult fantasy about an untrained witch and an evil warlock.

Every night Brayden dreams of a girl he has never met. Then one day she appears at the Inn where Brayden works. He soon learns that the young girl, Ariel is a witch - but not just any witch she is a high witch, resulting in a colossal amount of power. Although one of only three high witches in the world, her family beg her to keep her powers a secret, believing only bad things can result from them. As Ariel begins to learn to control her powers, the two hear of a plot by a warlock named Julius, who bends the power of high witches to his will, in order to preserve his immortal life. So Brayden and Ariel attempt to flee into hiding, in order to stop Julius’s evil plans, but how long can the couple keep running?

I really wanted to love this book. The plot sounds so interesting, and as I received the box set of the trilogy though LibraryThing, I could not wait to get my teeth sunk into this. I love a good witchy story and the novella does have its good points - I loved the idea of their only being three high witches at a time - as soon as one dies, another is born into the world, regardless if the parents are magical. This was a bit of a twist on the usual generation after generation of witches element that these types of story often have. I thought it was pretty interesting that she keeps her powers a secret, meaning she has so much untapped power and there were so many things she could learn to do and discover about herself.

This however, was where my enjoyment of the book ended. I know that the book is a novella, and Hanna obviously has a lot to cram into such a small word length but in the first twenty odd pages Brayden and Ariel meet, they fall and love and decide they are soul mates, they learn Ariel is a witch - but not just any witch, and that Brayden has witches in his family and can therefore teach her everything she needs to know. The whole book just felt a bit too Disney for my tastes. I felt there was so much potential for seeing Ariel grow as a character, learning to control her powers and use them to stop Julius, but these scenes are skipped over quickly in favour of longer romantic scenes and it left me feeling a bit disappointed that her magic was not more explored.

There were some enjoyable twists in the story - the introduction of Brayden’s mother and a few other little surprises that I didn't foresee, if you’re a fan of romance novels there is plenty of romantic elements in the story - though that doesn't particularly appeal to me. In true Disney fashion the novel ends with a wedding and a happily ever after so for me it felt a little too predictable, but hopefully with another two books to come perhaps there will be more opportunity to explore the magic and history behind the witches of this world. All in all a fun, enjoyable little novella with lots of romance and a pretty interesting plot. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Jan 14, 2015 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review the name drew me because I love anything paranormal though I must admit I totally hate the cover the blurb is a little short but right to the point.

I don't like how the book started with Brayden in love with Ariel as soon as he sees her even though he's been having dreams about her it just didn't sit right with me the way it was written. I also found it strange that him having no magic would attempt to train a witch. And that having no magical ability whatsoever he was able to discern that Ariel is a High Witch.

The book continues in it's ridiculousness with Brayden and Ariel immediately falling into bed together and 5 minutes later figuring out that his great great great grandfather is after Ariel to put her through this test that will turn her into an evil witch and bind her to him forever. I'm really not buying the concept of this story it's creative but the author is just not selling it right. There are just parts of the story that don't make sense like why they traveled 2 days to get to his mothers when she could have transported them by magic.

This book wasn't horrible but I won't say it was good. I wouldn't really recommend it. ( )
  jayblac21 | May 24, 2014 |
Great novella. Just enough without the fluff. A book to take along for lunch.
  MyChristineHobbs | Dec 30, 2013 |
*I was given a free copy of this for an unbiased review*

This was a fairly cute book, and was easy to read. It just didn't have amazing characters or stick out to me as an amazing book or anything above being just plain good. I like the epilogue and all that, but not sure where this series would be going. Maybe I will have to check out the next one to see what happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next one. ( )
  demonkittie | Dec 10, 2013 |
The storyline was good, but lacked a lot of details. A lot of the storyline is rushed through, character meet and fall in love in few days. It feels like the author had a great idea but didn't know how to work it out. This is a great book if you want a quick, paranormal romance story. Just don't plan on getting too caught up in the characters, ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Oct 30, 2013 |

Is contained in

Brayden gazed into the woman’s vivid blue eyes.

Mona Hanna is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,940,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible