Fire Prophet (Son of Angels, Jonah Stone) by…

Fire Prophet (Son of Angels, Jonah Stone)

by Jerel Law

This is an really wonderful book. It really makes a person think of a Christian book version of Harry Potter when you read this. It takes you on a journey and you realize that most of this book is in a since what is going on in the real world.

Eliza, Jeremiah and Jonah are three siblings that are quarterlings, one quarter angels set out to rescue one of GODs prophets from the fallen angels after they kidnapped her.

They had to fight the dark (evil / bad) forces. Little Jeremiah had to learn what his gift was and help to fight even though he was only 6 years old. Out of all of the quarterlings, he was the youngest of them all, all 13.

If you really want to read a very good book, I've certainly got to give this book a major 2 thumbs up. This book would get more if I had more than two thumbs! Will certainly be looking forward to reading more by this series, novel and author! ( )
  liaburres | Apr 26, 2014 |
Great Addition to a Rapid Paced Series

I totally enjoyed the first book in the series and jumped into this one immediately from the first. Now, I can’t wait to pick up the third. In this book, the characters grow in strength and character. They learn how to work with the other quarterlings. This is the perfect series to hook your children on with the battle of good and evil and the references to the Bible. It might just make them want to study the Bible a little to learn about those references. I would recommend this book to any child, though you might have to read it to one under nine. I also recommend it to anyone else who loves a supernatural fight of good vs. evil. ( )
  Glenajo | Sep 29, 2013 |
This is my joint review for both Spirit Fighter & Fire Prophet by Jerel Law:

Usually, I don't read much Middle Grade Fantasy novels. I enjoyed Harry Potter series and Neil Geiman's Graveyard Book, and was not so-impressed with The Chronicles of Narnia, but that's it. Son of Angels series by Jerel Law intrigued me with promises to be Christian answer to popular middle grade adventure series like Percy Jackson and the Olympians & The Kane Chronicles. Making Christianity and the Bible exciting for kids? I was curious how it will turn out.

Jonah Stone is just another 13 year-old boy with a loving family in a peaceful small town called Peacefield. His father Benjamin Stone is the pastor of Methodist church and his 11 year-old sister Eliza and 7 year-old brother Jeremiah are constant source of embarrassment and trouble but he loves them anyway. The whole perception of the world will change for Jonah when he finds out the truth:
"Johan, you are not entirely human. You're mostly human, just not... totally."
Jonah's mother is nephilim, half angel and that makes him one quarter angel - quarterling. Jonah is suddenly stronger and faster than his friends, one of the perks of having angel ancestors. But that's just the start of him discovering his powers and what is he capable to do. Turns out nephilims and quarterlings are very powerful creatures, and as always there is someone who wants to use them for bad and nefarious purposes. Good thing they will have help of Elohim (God) and his angels.

Frankly, this book was not as bad as I expected. Hmmm... That came out wrong. :) Actually, it was not bad at all. Story is told from Jonah's point of view and I liked that he's not perfect and that's he's often troubled by doubts, jealousy and other problems. Jerel Law painted a perfect picture of young coming of age boy. Sadly, all other characters pale compared to Jonah and feel a little shallow. While Jonah is painted with different shades of gray with white light of faith shining trough them, other characters are more black or white and not very complex.
How Christianity blended into middle grade fantasy book? I must admit, surprisingly well. There is some Bible quoting but not too much. And for some biblical creatures that attack Jonah, their origin and history is only hinted so I was intrigued and even thought about grabbing the Bible and looking for part where they are mentioned to learn more. So if you want to make your kids interested to learn more about Christian religion and they liked Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and similar books, Son of Angels series by Jerel Law may be just the thing for you. :)

I recommend this book to fans of: middle grade fantasy and adventure who don't mind having a little bit of Bible quotes and Christianity teachings added to the mix.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This text is also posted on Amazon and my blog. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |

When the powers of the Evil One threaten to destroy eighth-grader Jonah and the other humans who are one-quarter angel, Jonah is led by a series of visions to find the one person who is meant to call upon God's faithfulness and save them--a prophet of Elohim.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible