A Broth of Betrayal (A Soup Lover's…

A Broth of Betrayal (A Soup Lover's Mystery) (edition 2013)

by Connie Archer

Member:DreamingInFiction
Title:A Broth of Betrayal (A Soup Lover's Mystery)
Authors:Connie Archer
Info:Berkley (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:*read, 2015, genre: cozy mystery

A Broth Of Betrayal by Connie Archer

The book begins with the year 1777 when someone is murdered. Then we fast forward to the present day where the people of Snowflake are completely against a car wash in town. (Really? You'd rather just stand in your driveway and wash your cars on a regular basis? Or do these people drive to another town that has a car wash?) I also wondered why they didn't suggest somewhere else in town for the car wash, maybe not so close to the town square. Honestly, why would he want to build it in the town square anyway? All they had to do was suggest somewhere a little farther out. But I digress...

When bones are discovered on the construction site, it is immediately shut down until they can determine how old the skeleton is. Then they discover the body of a local and the mayor goes missing, and Lucky realizes that she's going to get involved whether the police chief wants her to or not.

Well, I wanted to like this book, but it was just not interesting enough to keep my attention. Lucky is not a likable person at all, and the story line was depressing - two murders, someone being kidnapped by a mentally unstable person and another burned alive, etc.; there just wasn't anything good happening to anyone.

Not to mention Elias has to be the most boring person on the face of the earth, no wonder he wound up in this town. He's also quite well versed in things anthropologists would know about but probably not a medical doctor. Not that I'm disputing it, but I seriously doubt if medical school teaches one about pH levels in soil.

I wish I could say something better about this series, but the only thing I can think of is that I'm not going to waste my time on the rest of the books. Not even the recipes were appetizing. Who on earth is going to eat peanut butter soup? Sorry, but I'm donating the rest of the books in this series to our local library; maybe someone will find them more to their taste (pun intended). ( )
  joannefm2 | Jun 1, 2018 |
This one zipped right along and had quite a lot going on. There's a skeleton found on the town green that's being dug up for the construction of a car wash (of all things), Harry the autobody repair shop owner is found murdered in his office and Elizabeth Dove, Snowflake's mayor, has gone missing. As if that weren't enough, someone else dies by immolation. There's a lot to be sorted out with all the dead but there's also some historical artifact theft going on. With all this, the two person Snowflake P.D. definitely needs a few more hands. It's the State Police and Lucky that assist in their own ways.

It was nice to see familiar characters from the first book. Sophie and Lucky's friendship has been reestablished, Sage is happily ensconced in the kitchen conjuring epic eats, though Remy was completely absent & not mentioned, Jack's health is on the upswing as is business at the Spoonful. Also to the good was Lucky's somewhat improved relationship/opinion of local law enforcement. She sneered less and really only seemed to have a problem with one of the two officers now. On the downside, she seemed to feel it was fine for her to do a little B&E of someone's cabin, in her quest (not cool) & her lips are still playing fast and loose with confidences she's asked to keep. There were a host of new people to meet and some that stood out best were Rowena, local reporter, Guy Doucette, worked for Harry at the autoshop and the Ranks (Norman owns lots of Snowflake properties including The Spoonful & his wife, Cordelia, is a Daughter of the American Revolution).

I enjoyed the pace for the most part but there was a little too much recapping for the reader of events that have already taken place in the mystery. It's not so long a book that readers would lose the threads of the mysteries so that was a bit annoying.

For the main mystery, I enjoyed the reveal but I'm going to need the guilty not to keep being the one Lucky never suspects or the very last people Lucky chats to and seems to avoid speaking with in depth for the whole of the book until the end. It's tedious and turns into a tell while reading. And I'm hoping that Lucky will have a bit more safety sense as the series goes on. If this book wasn't a PSA for being sure to tell someone where you're going just in case something happens to you, I don't know what it is. Still, I will continue on with the series because it has more good points than bad. I very much enjoyed the game of cascading dominoes of murders and murderers this one had. I would've liked Lucky's access to crime scenes and police inquiries to be a little more hard won so that you don't hate the other characters for giving her things they reasonably shouldn't/wouldn't. For the life of me I can't understand why Nate, the chief of police would let her accompany him on an inquiry, even if they are getting along. Elizabeth had one of these strange access for Lucky moments too with the only reasoning of it being okay that she knows and likes Lucky. It's no way to show procedure and makes all involved look bad.

This time Sage's recipes mentioned in the book had me highlighting to look up similar recipes for real life. He makes a really interesting African inspired soup with peanut butter that piqued my interest & the recipe is included. Recommended for cozy mystery fans. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
Broth of Betrayal is the second book in the a Soup Lover's Mystery series. A delightful addition, it is.

The folks of Snowflake, VT are excited about preparing for the Revolutionary War enactment in town, but are also upset by the imminent construction of a car wash in this quaint little town.

Harry Hodges has been helping to organize demonstration, hoping to get the site of car wash moved to another location. On the day of the demonstration some bones are uncovered as excavation begins and Hodges is found dead in his repair auto repair shop. Upon testing of bones that were found, it is determined that they date back to the Revolutionary War days. Then Richard Rowland, the owner of the proposed car wash, dies in fire of the construction site office trailer.

But, most discerning to Lucky is that Elizabeth, Mayor of Snowflake and a second mother to her, has gone missing.

Lucky begins to look into Elizabeth disappearance, while her father and his cronies from By The Spoonful start looking into Hodges and Rowland's murders.

A wonderful follow up to A Spoonful Of Murder. This is a great story with the enjoyable and believable characters from the first book back again. Maybe there is some romance in store for Lucky.

Will be looking for the next book. ( )
  FredYoder | May 14, 2015 |
Welcome back to Snowflake, Vermont! In a Broth of Betrayal it’s summer, not winter, but with the same cast of characters (plus a few more) and the planned Revolutionary War reenactment, it looks like summer can be as much fun in Snowflake as winter. And maybe as dangerous!

This book was just as charming and as much fun to read as A Spoonful of Murder. The warm, fuzzy feeling is still there. Lucky and Jack are a family and it’s obvious how much they care and look out for each other. Lucky is becoming more and more a part of Snowflake with good friends and good times in the soup shop, By the Spoonful. She has her footing now with the shop and enjoys running it. We are learning more about the people in Snowflake, and like in any town some are good, some are bad, some are just annoying. The romance between Lucky and Elias is moving along – slowly, but it’s moving. As we see more of Elias’ personality and how he is with Lucky, we can start to imagine what a good couple they might be.

But this time the story is a bit darker. It’s scary. Bad stuff has happened in the past and bad stuff is happening now, and Lucky is more reflective about things than she was. I enjoyed this. Lucky is developing as a character and seems to be growing up a little. I was intrigued by the mystery, and the suspense continued right until the end. I was worried about Lucky and her friends and family and anxious to learn what would happen next.

Can’t forget the soup. Once again some combinations I would never have thought of, but they sound pretty yummy.

I thoroughly enjoyed summer in Snowflake and am looking forward to my next visit! ( )
  GrandmaCootie | Jan 3, 2015 |
Bought this book to send to a fellow bookcrosser. I did not read it.
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425252086, Mass Market Paperback)

Even a town called Snowflake, Vermont, has a summer season. In August, Lucky Jamieson’s By the Spoonful serves chilled soups—celery and green onion, cream of asparagus—and salads. The shop also serves as a gathering place to talk about cold-blooded murder…

A protest to stop the construction of an ugly car wash in the middle of the town’s picturesque Village Green is interrupted by the discovery of a skeleton that may date back to the Revolutionary War. While the remains pose a historical mystery, a present-day murder shakes the town to its core when local auto mechanic Harry Hodges is found dead in his shop.

Straining the patience of Chief of Police Nate Edgerton, Lucky soon finds herself in the soup again when her dear friend Elizabeth, the Mayor of Snowflake, goes missing. No matter how much trouble she has to stir up, Lucky is determined to use her noodle to uncover a killer and recover her friend…

Recipes included!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:26 -0400)

Even a town called Snowflake, Vermont, has a summer season. In August, Lucky Jamieson's By the Spoonful serves chilled soups--celery and green onion, cream of asparagus and salads. The shop also serves as a gathering place to talk about cold-blooded murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,345,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible