A Dream of Daring by Gen LaGreca

A Dream of Daring (edition 2013)

by Gen LaGreca

Rating:*****
Tags:copyedited by KOK Edit

A Dream of Daring by Gen LaGreca

Well-plotted and paced!

This is the best historical novel I've read since Edward Cline's Sparrowhawk series. It's an excellent demonstration of how slavery enslaves the masters as well as the slaves, as well as how the habit of unthinking obedience is also a form of slavery. I have a particular fondness for characters who redeem themselves through work, and there is one here (you'll have to read the novel to find out which one).

Altogether delightful, and I look forward to future novels by LaGreca! ( )
  didoslament | Dec 24, 2013 |
Another stellar work by Gen LaGreca. An unlikely blend of genres (mystery, romance and historical fiction) works beautifully to drive home the central point that should be heeded by everyone during our uncertain times. No matter our station in life, or the social/political environment, the worst prison is always one of our own making, but by the same token true freedom is always inside of us. Sure, families, laws and customs play a role and set limitations, sometimes in cruel and unfair way, but the fundamental choices determining who we are- those are ours alone. I will leave the twists and turns of the plot for the reader to discover, and there are certainly some good ones, but this novel is so much more than its plot and characters. Probably the most inspirational new work I've read in years outside of Christian fiction.

One final note. My initial impression was that the epilogue went on for too long, having tied up all of the plot, to drive home the parallels between the world depicted in the novel and our own. I thought it was unnecessary as the body of the story has already covered the territory. Then I turned on the news, and ...nope, I was wrong. Whether from from ignorance or willful blindness, most people, today, would not in fact make the connections on their own, and as a result would miss the point. And that just can't be allowed to happen, not with these ideas, not if we are to hope for a better, freer world that the heroes of the novel imagined so vividly in their dreams and risked so much to try to create. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
This book exceeded my expectations tremendously. I was captivated by the romance and couldn't put it down.
  Dayneferrera | May 14, 2013 |
By: Gen LaGreca
Published By: Wing Victory Press
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Book Blog For: GMTA
Review:

"A Dream of Darling" by Gen LaGreca was some historical suspenseful murder mystery. This read was definitely one that keep me reading with all of its twist and turns and wow... that surprised ending. With all that was going on I found this read somewhat inspirational. In this read taken from 1859 you will get a little of all from 'Southern intrigue, political corruption, murder, slavery, horrible cruelty, forbidden love and then to the 'real romantic heroism' in Louisiana. The author does a good job with this historical part entering in about the 'south before the civil war.' These characters were all so real and well developed that really helped make this read quite interesting. "A Dream of Daring" may start out slow but with all of the adventure, suspense and mystery will keep you interested in seeing this 'American history' read unfold as it is so very important and relevant today. Would I recommend this read? Yes, especially if you are interested in a 'beautifully' well written historical romantic mystery murder. ( )
  arlenadean | May 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book through Early Readers and while I thought it appeared to be an interesting read, I was completely bored with the antebellum story. I would only recommend this book to someone who couldn't sleep. It will put you there quickly. ( )
1 vote ronbolulu | Apr 15, 2013 |
I'm so excited when a new book arrives in the mail, especially if it's one I edited—and doubly so if it's a novel with characters whom I was sad to leave behind when editing was done. Today's arrival is just such a book: A Dream of Daring, by one of my favorite authors, Gen LaGreca.

Because I edited the book, I can't give an unbiased review here. But because I love the book, I want to tell you all about it. Here is the apt description of the book from its back cover:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Gen certainly made the past seem like the present!
added by panda2646 | editLibrary Thing, panda2646

A thought-provoking novel of the Old South from award-winning author Gen LaGreca. Recommended by Booklist. When a visionary inventor threatens the entrenched powers of antebellum Louisiana, the result is murder.

Gen LaGreca is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Dream of Daring by Gen LaGreca was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible