The Summer He Came Home (Bad Boys of Crystal…

The Summer He Came Home (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake) (edition 2013)

by Juliana Stone

Member:Books007
Title:The Summer He Came Home (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake)
Authors:Juliana Stone
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Summer He Came Home (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake) by Juliana Stone (Author)

This was my first Juliana Stone novel but it most definitely will not be my last! This is an incredible story of fate and love. Maggie, single mom, lives her life in fear. Cain, hometown boy turned rock star, lives his life in the spotlight. Can their deep attraction overcome the obstacles life puts in front of them? Grab this book and find out. Highly recommended read. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
Is it weird that I heard Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" playing in my head at certain points in the story?

Loved this book, can't wait for the other Bad Boys' stories! ( )
  seanbata | Jun 14, 2015 |
Maggie O'Rourke
Cain Black

Michael O'Rourke, Raine Edwards, Jake Edwards, Mackenzie "Mac" Draper

A very good start to a new series. I'm emotionally invested in all these characters and while I was interested in Cain and Maggie's story what I really what to know are the demons that plague Jake and Mac. While Cain and Maggie were really likable and had chemistry off the charts Cain seemed like the less conflicted character in the book. Though in retrospect not knowing where your career is going and how to get the woman you love to trust you are not exactly small tasks. Maggie's back story was intense yet predictable once it was fully flushed out. But even that didn't detract from me wanting to finish the book. I think a good word to describe this book overall would be Intense. The characters were strong and so are their bonds. I can't wait to see what else Crystal Lake has in store for us in the future. 4 Stars

Read With Me: The Summer He Came Home
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I almost gave up on this book. It's pace was slow and heavy with characters thoughts, insecurities and speculation. The heroine's secret was rather predictable. Interaction with her son is why I finished but I skimmed a lot. Rock star Cain is attracted to Maggie the maid.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
2.5 stars

This was the first book I've read by Ms. Stone, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I enjoyed the characters she created--especially the group of "Bad Boys"--but I can't say the same for the heroine, Maggie. I never really connected with her character, and it was hard for me to believe her sincerity in her actions, considering the things that had happened to her in her life.

And I guess that was the main problem I had through most of this book. Of course it's fiction, so not everything has to be perfect and a mirror of real life, but unless it's a fantasy, I want my books to be realistic, and I just didn't think this one fit the bill.

I also found the storytelling to be repetitive and a little boring. Their feelings were talked about ad nauseum, and the back and forth was exhausting. I was skimming huge chunks of text because...I just didn't care. I don't care what the trees look like with the wind blowing through them. I don't care what everyone is wearing or what highlights they've put in their hair or what make-up they're wearing. I found this book to be bogged down by details that were completely unnecessary to the plot.

Instead, I would've rather read more about the conclusion. It was this huge climax (one of which I'm sure you'll see coming from 15% into the book), and then it was wham, bam, thank you ma'am, and we were done. I still had many, many unanswered questions--for important pieces of this book.

What is Cain going to do? Is he planning on staying in Crystal Lake? What about his career? The author went on and on about how much playing to a crowd means to him--how he lives for that. I don't think playing the dive bar in a town of five thousand is exactly what he had in mind.

Besides that, the "resolution" with her husband was lack-luster. All that build up--and entire book full of her fear--and then...that's it? Also, it was hard for me to buy her battered wife on the run story when she wasn't more careful about what she allowed her son to do. Through half the book, she didn't even know who he was with, just being passed off to different people for them to watch him. And you have three deadbolts on your door, but you let your seven-year-old son open the door to whomever? Nope, not buying it.

In the end, while this could have been a cute read, it just didn't have enough realism for me, was bogged down with inconsequential details and didn't focus on the pieces of the book I think this really could've benefited from fleshing out.

That said, she did create an interesting group of guys, and I am intrigued to read their stories. I'll probably give book 2 a go, hoping the storytelling has gotten a little better. ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |

Sometimes the best place to find love is right back where you started...

Falling asleep in a different bed every night has made it easy for Cain Black to forget his past. It's been ten years since he packed his guitar and left Crystal Lake, Michigan, to chase his dreams. Now tragedy has forced him home again. And though Cain relishes the freedom of the road, one stolen moment with Maggie O'Rourke makes him wonder if he's missing out on something bigger than fame.

For Maggie—single mother and newly settled in Crystal Lake—love is a luxury she just can't afford. Sure, she appreciates the tall, dark and handsome looks of prodigal son Cain Black. But how long can she expect the notorious hellion to stay?

"Sometimes the best place to find love is right back where you started... Falling asleep in a different bed every night has made it easy for Cain Black to forget his past. It's been ten years since he packed his guitar and left Crystal Lake to chase his dreams. Now tragedy has forced him home again. And though Cain relishes the freedom of the road, one stolen moment with Maggie O'Rourke makes him wonder if he's missing out on something bigger than fame. For Maggie--single mother and newly settled in Crystal Lake--love is a luxury she just can't afford. Sure, she appreciates the tall, dark and handsome looks of prodigal son Cain Black. But how long can she expect the notorious hellion to stay? The last thing either of them wants is something complicated. But sometimes love has its own plans."--from cover, p. [4]… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible