Murder on Olympus (Plato Jones) by Robert B.…

Murder on Olympus (Plato Jones) (edition 2013)

by Robert B. Warren

Member:bug_girl
Title:Murder on Olympus (Plato Jones)
Authors:Robert B. Warren
Info:Dragonfairy Press (2013), Paperback, 376 pages
Tags:mystery, early reviewer, gods, supernatural, hard-boiled

Murder on Olympus by Robert B. Warren

would have like to read this book but never got it also...
  dstawarz | Apr 25, 2014 |
Plato Jones is a former OBI(Olympus Bureau of Investigation) officer and now private investigator. The God Hermes shows up at Plato's office demanding that Plato work a case for the Gods. Someone is killing gods and goddesses. Plato flatly refuses to take the case and Hermes says this isn't the last you'll hear from us. Plato's case about missing gorgon takes an interesting twist that leads directly into the murdered gods and goddesses. Plato's best friend is Demigod Hercules(Herc) is worried that his wife Hebe will be next and wants to hire Plato. Who is responsible for gods and goddesses deaths? Will Plato take the case? Your answers await you in Murder on Olympus.

I found this book completely fascinating because I love mythology. This is kinda what would the world be like if the gods, goddesses, and demigods actually existed. I loved the mystery and suspense woven through out the whole book. I liked Plato's stance against not working with the gods and goddesses again after the last time. I had to laugh at Plato's ex-wife Alexis because she really was kind of transparent in her desires and feelings towards Plato. I will definitely be on the lookout for more books in this series. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Nov 14, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher/author through the LibraryThing.com Members Giveaway program. I was asked to post an honest review (though not necessarily a favourable one). The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

A nice hard-boled investigation story with quirky and lively characters, including arrogant gods, goofy heroes and fascinating women. Touches all the cliches of the genre, but with grace. And I really loved Ares.

The only pity is that, while the mithology itself was pretty accurate, the Greekness of the setting was no more than a thin layer of paint. The main character is called Plato Jones (the name could be Greek, the surname hardly so) and all other non-god characters follow similar onomastic conventions, and Olympus sounds like Hollywood, with mall strips, luxury car vendors and fancy villas that would be quite out of place in real-life Olympia or anywhere in Greece or Souther Europe.

Did I mention that I really love Ares? ( )
  sereq_ieh_dashret | Aug 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoy different fictional takes on the Greek Gods, so I was very excited to receive an Early Reviewer copy of Murder on Olympus by Robert B. Warren. Warren has created a unique world in which the Greek Gods live amongst mortals, hold positions in government and are chased by the paparazzi. When the immortal Gods and Goddesses start showing up dead, something no one thought could even happen, the Gods want reluctant mortal detective Plato Jones to investigate.

I like the premise of this book and it's a refreshing and unique take on the Gods and Goddesses of Greek Mythology. Incorporating a murder mystery into this urban Greek God fantasy is a unique twist. I'd be interested in reading the next Plato Jones because the writing felt a bit weak and cliched in parts. Often first books tend to be the weakest in a series as it takes a while for the author to really get to know the character. I think there's potential for this series to mature and become more richly imagined with the characters less cliched and stereotypical and let the reader scratch below the surface of the unique world he's created. If you are looking for a light, fun and fast read this summer and want something that's a little bit different, I recommend you give this book a try. I enjoyed it and it kept me guessing until the end. Looking forward to Plato Jones book 2! ( )
  LongDogMom | Jun 21, 2013 |
I received a copy of Murder on Olympus from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. Now that that is out of the way on to the review. I have been caught up lately in the Game of Thrones series and after 4 books of that Murder on Olympus was a refreshing change and exactly what I needed after 3500 pages of heavy epic fantasy. This was a fun light read with lots of humor throughout and it was a pleasant change to finish a book in a day versus a week.

Robert Warren creates a really interesting world in UF, he Gods of Olympus are not only real they are living out in the open, most are celebrities being chased around by TMZ. Plato Jones is a private investigator called upon by the Gods to solve the mystery of who is killling them, cuz that's not supposed to happen. Plato is very much the reluctant investigator, as a former employee of the Gods he is in no hurry to return to their employ even on a temporary basis.

This is pretty much a straight forward whodunnit, what was most interesting were the characters and the world created. I really liked Plato, his relationship with his ex wife was hilarious and seeing how he tries to get out of working for the Gods made him really likable. I loved how Hercules was portrayed a cheapskate and the rest of the Gods were pretty much complete dicks. The concept of the Greek Gods living out in the open was really unique and I would definitely look for the next book in the series. ( )
  ufreview | May 19, 2013 |
In memory of Alma Thompson.
"There's someone here to see you."

After a stint with the Olympic Bureau of Investigation, Plato Jones is through with the Gods and their political games. Under protest, he's drawn into a murder investigation where the murderer's targets are the Gods themselves. How can he solve a crime that's impossible to commit? And what chance does he -- a mere mortal -- have against something powerful enough to kill a God?… (more)

Dragonfairy Press

An edition of this book was published by Dragonfairy Press.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Murder on Olympus by Robert B. Warren was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,657,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible