Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren

Beautiful Bastard (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Christina Lauren

Member:Supera710
Title:Beautiful Bastard
Authors:Christina Lauren
Info:Gallery Books (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren (2013)

I am disappointed in my rating of this book. I had such high expectations of this book. I will admit, it eventually started to redeem itself in the second half of it. However, that just bumped my rating from 2 to 3.

The synopsis of this book draws you in….. An ambitious intern. A perfectionist executive. And a whole lot of name calling. Discover the story that garnered more than two million reads online.

Whip-smart, hardworking, and on her way to an MBA, Chloe Mills has only one problem: her boss, Bennett Ryan. He’s exacting, blunt, inconsiderate—and completely irresistible. A Beautiful Bastard.

Bennett has returned to Chicago from France to take a vital role in his family’s massive media business. He never expected that the assistant who’d been helping him from abroad was the gorgeous, innocently provocative—completely infuriating—creature he now has to see every day. Despite the rumors, he’s never been one for a workplace hookup. But Chloe’s so tempting he’s willing to bend the rules—or outright smash them—if it means he can have her. All over the office.

As their appetites for one another increase to a breaking point, Bennett and Chloe must decide exactly what they’re willing to lose in order to win each other.

Well, it doesn’t mention that the plot is really just sex. Yes sex. I know, I know. All of the books we read have sex. This is a little more. We get the point that these two have an animalistic attraction to one another. I don’t need more sex than plot. Now, by the second half of the book, the sex didn’t slow down, but the plot did start to build. The tug-of-war these two had within themselves and each other began to build. This helped the book. The second half of the book was almost like a whole different book. I was finally being pulled into the book. I wanted to get to the end. In the end, I did like this book, but I wouldn’t say that it is one of my favorites. ( )
  UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |
Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
BB series #1

Chloe Mills for several years has worked for Ryan Media and is well loved and respected by everyone in the family owned/operated marketing firm. She is a few short months away from obtaining her MBA and is currently working as an intern for Bennett Ryan, the son of the founder of the company. As part of a scholarship she earned, she has been given the opportunity to manage a multi-million dollar account under the guidance of Mr. Ryan.

Bennett is unlike the other members of his family in that he seems to hate her. He constantly belittles her, shows no appreciation for her work skills, work ethic, or loyalty to him or the company. He is gorgeous but incredibly rude and demanding. Because of this, she has dubbed him "Beautiful Bastard". They constantly snipe at each other, and she gives as good as she gets. His father, Elliott, chose her to be his intern knowing she would probably be the only one who could handle him and put up with his horrible personality.

Their interactions with each other have always been strictly about business until one night when they were working late and Mr. Ryan seemed to have snapped and lost control. He made a move on her, and although at first paralyzed by confusion and thinking, "what the hell?", she immediately responded to his advances. (Okay, now at this point I am like, really? I don't think so. Just because he's handsome it shouldn't overrule the fact that he is an incredible pr!@#. Anyway, the aggression they felt toward each other seemed to work for them. *smirk*)

I was prepared at this point to just suspend my disbelief and enjoy the story for the steamy factor, thinking that is all this was going to be about. I was pleasantly surprised to discover there was a good story hidden in there between all their urgent trysts in the elevator, in the stairwell, on the conference table, in bathrooms, etc. Yes, this is erotica so there is much of that, but don't think they've let that detract from giving us a good story as well.

We slowly see a change in both of them, but most especially--and most importantly for this book--in Bennett Ryan. He keeps enough of his bastardishness (is that a word? no? oh, well) to keep Chloe happy (ahem) but shows vulnerability as well, so the rest of us can learn to like him too.

BTW, I'm confused by some of the reviews talking about mentions of the Twilight characters. In my version, there was none of that. Just fyi to be on the lookout for possible variations in this book.

I wasn't sure how to rate this book. The story line, which turned out to be good, was questionable until the last third of the book. The erotica factor and their chemistry, those scenes were off the chart. So take my rating for what it is for the genre it is. His jerkishness lowered it a bit even though he turned out okay. I have a hard time giving too many allowances for asshats just because they are "pretty". As the book says, "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone." As always, ratings for one genre can't be compared to the same star rating for a different genre. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Nov 24, 2015 |
Read for Fun (Library)
Overall Rating: DNF

First Thought when Finished: I tried y'all! Really I tired but this particular area of contemporary romance is just not for me. I can see where Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren worked for other people though!

DNF Thoughts: Here is where you are going to be like but why didn't you finish it Felicia? I really liked the writing. I thought the story was solid. The humor/snarkiness was outstanding. The characters true to who they were. That being said--I couldn't stand either one of them. I might have liked her if she wouldn't have fallen for the Bastard. I wouldn't have liked him under any circumstances and definitely not as a boss. I am giving it a rare 2 instead of 1 on my DNF scale because of the solid everything. Seriously, it is not the writing duo's fault I didn't like the main characters. They can't write for everyone. I would say pick this up if rich bosses and snarky conquests are your thing cause the rest is stellar (pacing included--I mean I made it a 150 pages because it was so easy to read). I may try Max or Will's book--I have heard they may be more my style.

Part of my It's Not You, It's Me Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 16, 2015 |
It was exactly what I expected. Kind of cute couple. Would probably read the rest. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
Entertaining and funny though I would have liked a little more story development, it just seemed to be missing something that would have pushed it over the top. There were a lot of good moments especially when Bennett and Chloe fought with each other. Matched perfectly! Very steamy between them too which is always a plus! ( )
  GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |

Christina Laurenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, GraceReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sm for unknowingly bringing us together;

to the fandom for making it official,

and to our husbands, for putting up with it all.
My father always siad the way to learn the job you want is to spend every second watching someone do it.

Bennett has returned to Chicago from France to take a vital role in his family's massive media business. He never expected that the assistant who'd been helping him from abroad was the gorgeous, innocently provocative--"completely infuriating"--creature he now has to see every day. Despite the rumors, he's never been one for a workplace hookup. But Chloe's so tempting he's willing to bend the rules--or outright smash them--if it means he can have her. All over the office

Originally only available online as "The Office" by tby789--and garnering over 2 million reads on fanfiction sites--"Beautiful Bastard "has been extensively updated for re-release.
—Back cover

"An ambitious intern. A perfectionist executive. And a whole lot of name calling. Whip-smart, hardworking, and on her way to an MBA, Chloe Mills has only one problem: her boss, Bennett Ryan. He's exacting, blunt, inconsiderate--and completely irresistible. A Beautiful Bastard. Bennett has returned to Chicago from France to take a vital role in his family's massive media business. He never expected that the assistant who'd been helping him from abroad was the gorgeous, innocently provocative--completely infuriating--creature he now has to see every day. Despite the rumors, he's never been one for a workplace hookup. But Chloe's so tempting he's willing to bend the rules--or outright smash them--if it means he can have her. All over the office As their appetites for one another increase to a breaking point, Bennett and Chloe must decide exactly what they're willing to lose in order to win each other. Originally only available online as The Office by tby789--and garnering over 2 million reads on fanfiction sites--Beautiful Bastard has been extensively updated for re-release. "--… (more)

60 wanted7 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,248,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible