You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack:…

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons

by Tom Gauld

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (nessreader)
    nessreader: scratchy artwork combined with erudite topics; Beaton has more Canadian interest and history, and Gauld mixes up literary memes and silliness

English (9)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
This is an altogether adorable collection of comics from The Guardian. I think that Karen's review sums up the book far better than any review I write could. I mean, it has pictures.

I picked this book up at The Book Thing thinking it looked charming and entertaining, and was pleasantly surprised by how poignant some of the comics were. Most were literary, some were an entertaining commentary on how sci-fi is viewed in most critic circles, some were just downright fun.

All I truly know if that I want to be able to rush to the rescue at some point yelling "Make way! I'm a Keats' scholar!" ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Funny, literate cartoons with lots of book references. But the author's web site is here:

http://myjetpack.tumblr.com/ ( )
  streamsong | Mar 9, 2018 |
This was a quick read, and overall I liked it, but there were definitely some comics where I felt like I was missing a reference or three. The title is fantastic, though. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 11, 2018 |
28 May, 2013

Combines the sensibilities of [a:Edward Gorey|21578|Edward Gorey|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1200338278p2/21578.jpg] and [a:Kate Beaton|2921970|Kate Beaton|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1318610112p2/2921970.jpg], so you can well imagine how much I enjoyed this. Lots of Shakespeare jokes. Also the use of "wibbly wobbly" although without "timey whimey".

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
A great cartoonist showing his best stuff. ( )
  Hassanchop | Jul 4, 2016 |
For Daphne and Iris
Short story

"Dryly hilarious, the comics in You're all just jealous of my jetpack perfectly distill cartoonist Tom Gauld's dark humour, impeccable timing, and distinctinve style, all of which have made his work a popular weekly feature in The Guardian. Unexpected pairings such as the Bront?e sisters and video games cross the classic with the contemporary. Gauld gleefully pokes fun at the canon of great authors--Shakespeare, Thoreau, Dickens, and Martin Amis all fall beneath his mighty pen. The real star of the collection, though, is the idea of the novel itself and its many forms, including the difficult novel, the realist novel, the experimental novel, and the never-ending question--is the novel dead? Definitely not for Gauld. Droll literary references abound with piercing observations about human behaviour and whimsical imaginings of the future."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,035,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible