The Shambling Guide to New York City (The…

The Shambling Guide to New York City (The Shambling Guides) (2013)

by Mur Lafferty

Series: The Shambling Guides (book 1)

3.5/5 stars. Zoe is an out of work travel writer who moved home to New York City. She finds an ad for a job she's sure she's perfect for, only to be told she wouldn't fit in. Zoe doesn't take no for an answer and scores herself a job interview and an introduction to the coterie--all the supernatural monsters (don't call them monsters!) humanity doesn't know exist. While planning and editing the ultimate coterie travel guide to NYC, Zoe gets entangled in a dangerous plot, discovers something about herself, and saves the city.

The action is interspersed with segments from the travel guide. It's cute, but the travel guide sections often come before the related action, somewhat spoiling it. But that's basically my biggest complaint about this book, which I couldn't put down and ended up reading long into the early morning.

I really enjoyed Lafferty's versions of vampires, elementals, and all the other coterie. The travel guide format creates an opportunity to learn things you otherwise wouldn't learn, such as coterie history and dining habits. It's a lot of fun.

Also, I really like Zoe's friendship with Gwen (the Welsh death goddess) and Morgen (the water elemental).
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this up to the point when the love interest entered the scene. I was a little surprised by how much that character dragged everything down. I'm a little tired of the chivalry schtick, though, so maybe that's my issue. Granted, the author did make a point of saying that Zoe was perfectly capable of taking care of herself, but it's irritating that the point has to be made. Why can't men approach the situation with the idea already formed that women are capable on their own? Why does it have to be something they learn? Silly and a tad nitpicky, but I enjoyed the story and eagerly await the next. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Fun, and with less zombies than I was afraid of (zombies being my least favorite fantasy monster).

Content warnings: attempted rape by magic, sexual harassment, major character death, zombie killing, discussion of killing/eating humans (by nonhuman or formerly-human people) ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jan 10, 2018 |
This book is about Zoe Norris, newly returned to New York City after a very bad breakup (she was sleeping with her married boss). She's looking for work and sees a help wanted ad in a very strange bookstore that seems to be perfect for her -- travel guide writer, the same job she just left behind in North Carolina. The owner of that company happens to be standing right by her when she sees the ad and he bluntly tells her that she is the wrong person for the job. Zoe doesn't give up though and, when she happens across another employee of Underground Publishing in a local coffee shop, she manages to get a foot in the door. Whether the job is actually going to be a good fit for her will be determined once she finally sees who (and what) she will be working with and whether or not she can survive her first days on the job.

This story was funny and sexy and terrifying and I had an absolute blast reading it. There were all sorts of creatures and people, lots of adventure and peril, and New York City herself was actually a character -- and not in that way that one usually says "it's like the city was a character". No, in this book it was literal. And there was one sexy-type scene that embarrassed me so much that it made me think that I should probably read more romance because my reading choices are apparently a bit prim. But I loved Zoe's confidence and her acceptance of a ridiculous amount of diversity. She was sensitive while finding out new information and tried her best to be an ally, even when it put her life in danger.

http://webereading.com/2017/06/a-fish-out-of-water-or-two.html ( )
  klpm | Jul 10, 2017 |
I am listening to the podcast of this book. it's funny, entertaining, and keeps me coming back each week for more. I love the little clips from the guide at the end of each chapter, and the tenacity of the main character to never give up, not even when things start getting really freaky. ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |

Mur Laffertyprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKelvie, JamieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKelvie, JamieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A good spouse encourages you to chase your dream.

A great one will flat out refuse to let you settle for a dream that's "almost as good."

This book would literally not be in your hands if not for my husband, Jim Van Verth.

Send him cookies.
The bookstore was sandwiched between a dry cleaner's and a shifty-looking accounting office.

Because of the disaster that was her last job, Zoe is searching for a fresh start as a travel book editor in the tourist-centric New York City. After stumbling across a seemingly perfect position though, Zoe is blocked at every turn because of the one thing she can't take off her resume --- human.

Not to be put off by anything -- especially not her blood drinking boss or death goddess coworker -- Zoe delves deep into the monster world. But her job turns deadly when the careful balance between human and monsters starts to crumble -- with Zoe right in the middle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:00 -0400)

"Because of the disaster that was her last job, Zoe is searching for a fresh start as a travel book editor in the tourist-centric New York City. After stumbling across a seemingly perfect position though, Zoe is blocked at every turn because of the one thing she can't take off her resume -- human. Not to be put off by anything -- especially not her blood drinking boss or death goddess coworker -- Zoe delves deep into the monster world. But her job turns deadly when the careful balance between human and monsters starts to crumble -- with Zoe right in the middle"--… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,763,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible