The Dark Lake by Anthea Carson

The Dark Lake

by Anthea Carson

I started seeing a bunch of buzz about this on social media and some of the book blogs I follow so I became vastly curious to see if it actually lived up to the hype particularly as the author was being compared to Gillian Flynn and Paula Hawkins two of my favorite mystery writers.

Bailey has created an interesting yet flawed character in Gemma which helps as this novel is mostly from her point of view; there’s few things worse than hating the main character with an otherwise intriguing storyline wrapped around them. Gemma isn’t perfect and you may have moments when you’d like to shake her but her humanity does shine through enough you can still feel some sympathy for her. The way Bailey intersperse her backstory really helped bring the story alive and make various points seem more meaningful. The way she occasionally provides you the point of view from a different character added a cool balance but also kept you on your toes so it didn’t get too predictable.

The melancholy feel certainly adds to the suspenseful setting as you try to figure out where Bailey is leading you. I can definitely understand the comparisons to some of the best female suspense authors of our day right now and it’s one of the better debuts I’ve read so I’ll be looking out for her next one. ( )
  ttsheehan | Jul 5, 2017 |
reminded me a bit of A Visit From The Goon Squad. Slightly schizophrenic in the narrative, but overall a descriptive tale of black outs and dealing with the past. Not sure what the second book will be like. I have to continue on this story because I'm curious. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I just finished editing this very interesting mindfuck of a story. The narrator is unreliable, and you never know if what you are reading has actually happened, is actually happening, or is just in the narrator's mind. I really enjoyed it! The author is re-releasing it in conjunction with a promotion in a week or so, so I'll be sure to let folks know when it's available, and maybe try to write up a better review later, but for now I have one more story to edit before my week is done! ( )
  Katyas | Jul 22, 2013 |
This isn't my usual style of book, but found it enthralling. Jane is definitely odd, but in her rambling thought patterns the flashbacks between past and present come across smoothly. The ending left me still with a few questions but no doubt they will be revealed in the second book. The author has cleverly weaved snippets of clues into Jane's inner dialogue about what happened at the lake. I will certainly buy her books in future.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author. I did not receive any payment in exchange for this review nor was I obliged to write a positive one. ( )
  Daydreambooks | Jul 20, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,081,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible