Let Love In (My Amish Valentine) by Becca…

Let Love In (My Amish Valentine) (edition 2013)

by Becca Fisher

Member:belletaylor
Title:Let Love In (My Amish Valentine)
Authors:Becca Fisher
Info:
Rating:***

Let Love In (Amish Romance) by Becca Fisher

I received a free copy of this novel as an ebook. I read a great deal of Amish fiction by many different authors, and was excited to win this book and read a author new to me. Unfortunately, this book did not live up to my expectations. It was poorly edited and had many punctuation as well as a few spelling errors. I read it to the very end, hoping to discover a plot. I failed. Though it seemed to be character driven, the characters were, for the most part, not well developed or believable. The author did not seem to grasp that being Amish is more than just a lifestyle of being “plain.” It is a religion, and it is the Amish belief in God and His word that affects all they do in life. It is not just a matter giving up worldly things, such as electricity, for a simple life. It is inconceivable to me that an Amish woman would agree to marry a divorced man with an ex-wife. The characters and the dialogue did not reflect the Amish dialect or way of life. If it hadn’t been for a few references to a driving a horse and buggy, I would hardly have known I was reading Amish fiction. The narrative itself seemed to be somewhat disjointed, the author jumping from one point to another with little to tie them together. As a beginning draft, this tale might show promise, but it needs to be rewritten after some serious research and plotting, and then edited. As it stands, the family in the story has a dog with some unusual dietary tastes, as stated on page 5: “Thomas, can you feed the dog honey?” (My dog prefers kibble.) ( )
  Maydacat | Jun 2, 2014 |
I have never read any Amish themed romances before and I found this story very sweet. Trying to let love back into your life after losing your partner must not be easy, and I find that Jenna did pretty good. ( )
  belletaylor | Feb 22, 2013 |
I received this book free from Library Thing to read and review. The author is a new author, writing about Amish daily lives and philosophies. I found the novella very predictable but nevertheless still refreshing. Jenna is young and married with two small children but a recent widow, as her husband Mark perished in an accident within the community. In comes Daniel, a different sort of Amish guy, and they begin to feel things for each other. The problem is that Daniel has been courting another woman, and not all the community is pleased with the budding Jenna and Daniel romance. How everyone works through this emerging romance is the plot. This novella brings out some of the Amish characteristics and way of life. Since I find the Amish interesting and am curious about them, I enjoyed learning more about them. However, as I said, the novella is very predictable, and, as I read, I just waited for the story line to progress, as I knew it would. Nevertheless, the characters are believable and realistic. The author has presented a situation which is entirely plausible to me. I do wish the author had not been so predictable, but perhaps she was really trying to just give us a good slice of Amish life rather than a good story (also, how could you really develop a plot in something so short?), which she most certainly did. Unlike other reviewers, I really did not want the book to go on longer, at least not with the current plot as it is presented. However, I think the author could easily develop a good, much longer story with the same or similar characters to give us a fuller picture of Amish life and beliefs. This story is just a good start on that endeavor. ( )
  KMT01 | Jan 26, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book but I wish it had been longer. I kept trying to turn the last page to see what happened to Jenna and Daniel. I think there should be a follow-up to see how they are doing. I also liked seeing that even in the "Amish" there is the same problems and drama that we all deal with. ( )
  Tburns3424 | Jan 18, 2013 |
  Maydacat | Jan 13, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Becca Fisher's book Let Love In (Amish Romance) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Becca Fisher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,110,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible