Feast: Food to Celebrate Life by Nigella…

Feast: Food to Celebrate Life (edition 2004)

by Nigella Lawson

Member:challoner
Title:Feast: Food to Celebrate Life
Authors:Nigella Lawson
Info:Hyperion (2004), Hardcover, 480 pages
Tags:food

Feast: Food to Celebrate Life by Nigella Lawson

Best chocolate guiness cake ever. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
Probably my second favourite Nigella Lawson cookbook (after [b:How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking|39542|How to Be a Domestic Goddess Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking|Nigella Lawson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1169298594s/39542.jpg|39249]. There's a recipe here for almost every occasion. Some of the recipes in this book I've used so often that I know them off by heart and could probably do them in my sleep. (Chocolate Honey Cake, I'm talking about you!) ( )
  KimMR | Apr 2, 2013 |
I purchased this book from the bargain shelf, and I think I truly got a bargain. This is a nice compendium of holiday and party recipes, probably the only one you ever need. I don't pull it out every day, by any means, but it is indispensable when a recipe is needed for a Halloween party or a birthday cake or a Christmas dinner. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 19, 2012 |
I am so fond of this book. I have cooked only a few recipies from it thus far (more to come, certainly) which have been lovely.

More than that though I love it's tone and unusual organization. There is (thank heaven) an index for those seraching for a particular thing. The book is organized around the occasions for Feasts from the obvious - Christmas and birthdays - to the less obvious but equally important - funerals and kitchen dinners with friends.

This one has spent time both in my kitchen and on my bedside table and cookbooks which are welcome in both places are my favourites. ( )
  literaryknits | Jan 5, 2010 |
I love Nigella Lawson so much. She has the unique gift among cookbook authors, of making me want to eat whatever she has just described. And she describes it in such detail that you can almost taste it in advance. I probably don't cook enough sensible food, but love an Occasion, where I can make something new and snazzy and really knock everyone's socks off - so this may be the perfect cookbook for me. Lots of ideas along those lines. Makes me want to celebrate everyone's holidays, so that I can try everything out. And why shouldn't we celebrate Easter and Rosh Hashanah? Better to be inclusive than exclusive (although having just watched the BBC Middlemarch miniseries, I wonder if that isn't the Mr. Brooke in me). ;) But I prefer to think of it as Nigella Lawson's talent for convincing me to broaden my culinary horizons! ( )
  AnnieHidalgo | Sep 28, 2009 |

Lawson, Nigellaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Merrell, JamesPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0701175214, Hardcover)

If you consider eating with friends and family a joyful, indulgent celebration chances are you love a good feast. And who better to carefully guide you through the daunting task of preparing that Feast than the domestic goddess herself Nigella Lawson. Written in the tradition of Nigella Bites and How to Eat, Feast is a cookbook for the sensualist that wants to eat very well, but also wants to spend time enjoying the company of their guests instead of struggling with the creation of the meal. What sets Lawson apart is not that she's a good cookbook writer, but a strong writer period. Similar to her other books, Nigella's Feast is presented as part personal memoir, part educational, and part recipe presentation. There is a nice blend of occasions including the obvious (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and Easter), a few culturally specific ones (Rosh Hashanah, Georgian Feast, and Venetian Feast), feasts for kids, for vegetarians, and an elegant cocktail party. Each chapter begins with an overview of that particular "Feast." Generally, there is a personal story and experience told, an overview of the cultural importance of the feast, and a description of foods that are associated with each occasion. Impressively, every recipe begins with a personal anecdote giving that impression Nigella didn't just throw it in the book, but is experienced with the recipe and has used it with success. Take her twist on the decadent Chocolate Guinness Cake for example: "I wanted to make a cream cheese frosting to echo the pale head that sits on top of a glass of stout. It's unconventional to add cream but it makes it frothier and lighter which I regard as aesthetically and gastronomically desirable." Who can argue? The cake is to die for. So next time you need to prepare a dinner party let the goddess be your guide, and remember: Keep the preparation simple, use easily available ingredients, and take time to enjoy your guests and your meal. Feast may not be the most advanced cookbook you will own, but if you want to create excellent food with relative ease in a short amount of time, you can not beat Nigella. --Rob Bracco

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:21 -0400)

Packed with over 200 recipes from all over the world and from near to home, 'Feast' proclaims Nigella's love of life and great food to celebrate it with.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible