Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1) by…

Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1)

by L.B. Simmons

642186,178 (4)None

Blake and Alex have an amazing love story to share with readers in this book! I love that they have been best friends since elementary school and are reconnecting after all these years. I love that Blake is who he is and that Alex learns to let go, even just a little. The secondary characters in this story are just as important for me as Blake & Alex. Harlow, Alex's best friend, brings a great deal of humor to the story. The three daughters really help tie it all together. I love stories of love that is lost and found again. So glad to have discovered this series!! ( )
  lornajarkin | Nov 9, 2014 |
This is the debut novel by L B Simmons and I am so happy she decided to pen this story. It's a story of grief and learning to move forward, of love and trust, of holding on and letting go.

Alex lost her husband, Derek, 3 years ago, leaving her with 3 daughters and a gaping hole in her heart. She is living day by day, trying to work and keep a stable, loving home for her beautiful daughters, while trying to cope with the grief she feels. She has given up any thoughts of another love. Her thoughts are focused on the girls and their future. Luckily through it all she has had the support of her wonderful best friend, Harlow. Can I just say that I love Harlow and i would love to read her story in a book of her own. Their friendship is one that every girl would love to have - easy-going, brutally honest, lovingly supportive and mutally respectful. Oh, and they are so funny together. Their banter had me in stitches and at other times in emotion laden tears.

Enter Blake Morgan, a childhood friend of Alex's who rides back into her life, all leather-clad, tall, gorgeous with "his sculpted jaw, perfect nose, amd his beautiful mouth, his perfect kissable mouth." In their younger days they were almost tied at the hip, they were the best of friends until Alex met Derek, married and started the next chapter of her life.

Trouble is Blake never forgot about Alex.

Alex thought she had it all planned out, no love interests, no distractions from raising her family and no chance of feeling the pain of loss again but Blake's presence threatens to turns her world upside down. While I was frustrated with a couple of decisions Alex made, I understood her need to hang on to her independence. Another thing I did like were the Notes to Self that Alex wrote, they made me smile and just let me be more in her head.

Alex's girls are adorable, funny, witty and sharp as tacks. They don't let Alex get away with anything and they are so full of spunk you can't help but love them. The relationship Blake forms with Alex's 3 girls is just so heart-warming and genuine and his re-connection with Alex was full of sparks and really had me smiling, even if we don't know if there is an future in it.

I just felt immersed in this story; it felt so real and genuine. I was taken through a miriad of emotions and really loved every second of it. I read it in two sittings and only because i had to go to work. L.B. Simmons has written a fantastic debut novel and I can't wait to read more from her. ( )
  Artfullee | Apr 8, 2014 |

"I had the perfect life. Beautiful and loving husband.Three gorgeous little girls. Successful career. The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence. Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I've made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that's all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse. But then he came back into my life. On a freakin' motorcycle. There's no way I'll let him turn my life completely upside down. Absolutely no way. The question is-- How long can I keep pretending that I'm happy with my life being right-side up?"--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,579,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible