Omega by Jack McDevitt

Omega (2003)

by Jack McDevitt

Series: Engines Of God (4)

Recently added byprivate library, drcmg, Xhanth, JeanGoodrich, axelsabro7u, Jeffrey.Hines, gsides78, kevbayer, dmg111, GMGee

A very good read, though tough sledding for the first 100 pages in character introduction (my only complaint). It is a story about a coming apocalypse set in the future but the event is almost an anti-climax. The real story is Earth coming to grips with a inter galactic cloud of unknown composition that is a civilization killer headed for a planet with an intelligent but non-technical culture. The cloud will eventually threaten Earth long into the future but dealing with it has been put off for the future.

It has a Star Trek next generation feel to it with its contact protocol and the artificial intelligence on the space ships are like DATA though not an android. Some funny situations, some social comment, some ethical questions as well as a discussion of faith but not in an annoying detailed way. A great HARD science fiction read...something I find rare these days.

I will definitely read more of McDevitt's work ( )
  Lynxear | Sep 2, 2012 |
Spring12:

Characters: Just not really there for me. Hutch was all beuarcratic and her replacements were uninteresting.

Plot: I suppose it was good. Mostly it was boring.

Style: Overwrought. ( )
  Isamoor | Jul 27, 2012 |
I enjoyed the premise of the book, but I felt the author himself didn't quite know how to handle the omega clouds. There was an overwhelming vagueness in the descriptions and it felt like a piece of the story was missing. The narration kept jumping from character to character and it was difficult (for me) to follow. ( )
  amandacb | Mar 9, 2012 |
The fourth book of a series. A series I must say I have enjoyed very much. The story begins in the year 2234 and Priscilla Hutchens is still a major character. The other books revolved around her; but, this time, she is more of a background figure. "Omega" clouds were discovered a quarter of a century before the story begins. These clouds are destroying every civilization they come across. Now one is about to destroy the planet, "Lookout" taking all of its inhabitants (nicknamed "Goompahs" with it. Now, those on earth who have a stake in space exploration are hoping to either stop completely this destruction or, at least, to minimize it. It's a fun read. ( )
  kp9949 | Jan 24, 2012 |
(Reviewed January 16, 2009)

He did it again. McDevitt sets up a brilliant, fascinating idea, with depth, mystery, and promise, and then promptly throws all that away so he can indulge in yet another tangential race against time. It's so frustrating. There's so much potential here, and it's squandered so willingly I felt a bit angry as I was reading it. And his growing approval of faith and religion made my stomach churn. ( )
  closedmouth | Jul 21, 2010 |

Jack McDevittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ducak, DaniloCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jean and Scotty Parrish, USN
It was the most majestic series of structures David Collingdale had ever seen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441012108, Mass Market Paperback)

A civilization-destroying omega cloud has switched direction, heading straight for a previously unexplored planetary system--and its alien society. And suddenly, a handful of brave humans must try to save an entire world--without revealing their existence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:50 -0400)

"Somewhat sentient, the omega clouds obliterate life on every planet in their path. Now one of them is predicted to reach Earth in about 900 years. But between Earth and the cloud, lies the home world of the Korbikkan race. They are humanoid sentients and one of three sentient races known to humanity. Now, mankind must decide whether to marshall the science resources needed and to bring to bear the weaponry needed to save another race without putting itself at risk. Can a human rescue team save thier whole world without letting the inhabitants know they are being saved?"--SFsite.com.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible