Orbiter by Warren Ellis

by Warren Ellis

This started off very promising, but then abruptly ended. I get what he was trying to do and it looks like it worked for some people, but it was just way too short and not enough questions were answered for me. Maybe that was the idea, to leave us curious and not answer the big questions. Unfortunately now I have to build my own space shuttle and contact alien life just so I can find out what it's really like out there. It could take a while but I'll make sure to post my findings to facebook.

Also there was a super fast little romance that I really didn't even know existed and then suddenly culminated at the end in a way that I thought detracted from the "shocking" ending. ( )
  ragwaine | Oct 8, 2015 |
Interesting story, though melodramatic and choppy at times. OK art. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
Great cover. Mediocre artwork. So-so story. ( )
  ancameme | Feb 9, 2014 |
The best thing about Orbiter is Warren Ellis' impassioned forward. I have doubts about the space program, myself. I believe in pure science and exploration, but I can't help but wonder what we might be able to do with that money on the earth's surface, when so many people are so impoverished. Still, Ellis' arguments catch my imagination, and I hope we can afford both.

The story itself... well, it's a lesser work. Hard-SF speculation about gravity drives and relativity isn't my cup of tea, though Doran and Stewart do an admirable job of infusing the talky story with inspiration and momentum. I feel like the living-spaceship concept has been done too many times for the extended treatment of it here. There wasn't much of a plot or a resolution. As always, Ellis gives us some lovely moments and some great lines, but it didn't add up this time. Stunning cover. ( )
  Cynara | Jun 10, 2009 |
A moving examination of the consequences of astronautical tragedy and the powerful call of outer space. I am not convinced that extreme transuranic elements will look so organic but I enjoyed the vision of this profound graphic novel. ( )
  TheoClarke | Jul 10, 2008 |
I was intrigued by the premise, but I found myself flipping through page after page of technobabble. I’m sure, with Ellis’ research, that it’s all plausible or even the modern cutting edge, but it made for boring reading that missed out on the people involved. We’re told of the deep fears and loves and emotions of the characters, but we don’t see them.

When the space shuttle Venture returns to Earth after a ten year disappearance with all of its crew missing except for the catatonic pilot and with substantial changes to the ship, a team of three specialists must discover what happened.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible