Orbiter by Warren Ellis

Orbiter

by Warren Ellis

Great cover. Mediocre artwork. So-so story. ( )
  ancameme | Feb 9, 2014 |
The best thing about Orbiter is Warren Ellis' impassioned forward. I have doubts about the space program, myself. I believe in pure science and exploration, but I can't help but wonder what we might be able to do with that money on the earth's surface, when so many people are so impoverished. Still, Ellis' arguments catch my imagination, and I hope we can afford both.

The story itself... well, it's a lesser work. Hard-SF speculation about gravity drives and relativity isn't my cup of tea, though Doran and Stewart do an admirable job of infusing the talky story with inspiration and momentum. I feel like the living-spaceship concept has been done too many times for the extended treatment of it here. There wasn't much of a plot or a resolution. As always, Ellis gives us some lovely moments and some great lines, but it didn't add up this time. Stunning cover. ( )
  Cynara | Jun 10, 2009 |
A moving examination of the consequences of astronautical tragedy and the powerful call of outer space. I am not convinced that extreme transuranic elements will look so organic but I enjoyed the vision of this profound graphic novel. ( )
  TheoClarke | Jul 10, 2008 |
Read by Anjie, Summer 2006:
" I know nothing about graphic novels. I ended up going to Willard totally in the dark. Did you know that most GNs read from back to front and right to left?!? I thought I had been out in the sun too long! I picked Orbiter, by Warren Ellis and Colleen Doran because of the front cover, and because it read the ol'fashion way. The intended audience is much younger than I; late middle school - high school. The story is about NASA's demise after the space shuttle Venture disappears. Ten years pass when the shuttle plummets to the ground with only one survivor who is mentally unstable - crazy. A team of misfits discover that Venture had landed on Mars by electromagnetic levitation. The surviving crew member admits to other life form on Mars and takes the misfit team on another adventure in space. My inexperience in reading novels like this made me stumble on my words. I think my eye wanted to look instead of read. However, teens are awesome multitaskers; I think this is why they love em'."
  educ318 | Jan 10, 2008 |
No one expected the space shuttle Venture to return. But ten years after it suddenly disappeared it lands at Kennedy Space Center with only its captain aboard and Martian sand stuck in its landing gear. The captain is apparently insane; the ship’s metal skin is now covered with living skin, and something very strange has happened to its engines. ( )
  MaowangVater | Jan 5, 2008 |
I was intrigued by the premise, but I found myself flipping through page after page of technobabble. I’m sure, with Ellis’ research, that it’s all plausible or even the modern cutting edge, but it made for boring reading that missed out on the people involved. We’re told of the deep fears and loves and emotions of the characters, but we don’t see them.

Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

When the space shuttle Venture returns to Earth after a ten year disappearance with all of its crew missing except for the catatonic pilot and with substantial changes to the ship, a team of three specialists must discover what happened.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible