SantaThing sign up ends in 29 minutes (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Fire by Sebastian Junger

Fire (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Sebastian Junger

Member:mharing
Title:Fire
Authors:Sebastian Junger
Info:W. W. Norton (2001), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 224 pages

Fire by Sebastian Junger (2001)

Was browsing through the titles at my local library and came across this one which is when I realized that I had read it way back in 2001-02. Got this when I was a member of a book club.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
Junger is a terrific journalist. He writes on a level that you can understand even if you don't know much about the subject at hand. He also is able to present a very balanced look at his subjects. This was most apparent in his joint article on Cyprus. By the time I finished, I was disgusted with both the Greek Cypriots and the Turkish Cypriots. Neither was willing to budge toward a peaceful solution and the result is complete stasis. It reminded me a lot of our current Congress! All the articles were very informative, but at the same time very accessible. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 10, 2014 |
I was dinking around in my records and discovered I had listened to this book in 2006. For the life of me I don't remember a damn thing about it and can't find any notes (an anomaly) except I marked I had enjoyed it. I'm not sure whether that says more about the book or me. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Not quite as engaging as the Perfect Storm, but well worth the $2.95 I paid for it (gotta love Adelaide STreet sales). An interesting look at the more dangerous occupations around. ( )
  skinglist | Jan 10, 2009 |
The ten pieces in this collection of magazine articles, one of which won a National Magazine Award for Reporting, have the authentic tang of dispatches from the front. ... Most remarkable are Junger’s accounts of such places where all moral referents are severely out of alignment, having only hours before shifted from everyday life and begun a whirling descent into madness. ... Deeply affecting stories of a ruthless world, natural and man-made, that will leave you stunned and distraught.
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus' Reviews (Aug 1, 2001)

Sebastian Jungerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, ScottContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Ellis Settle, 1924-1993

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393010465, Hardcover)

The events explored in Fire focus on "people confronting situations that could easily destroy them," and as he demonstrated in The Perfect Storm, Sebastian Junger is skilled at breaking such situations down to their core elements. In this exciting book, he reports on raging forest fires in the Western U.S, war zones in Kosovo and Afghanistan, the deadly diamond trade in Sierra Leone, the plight of travelers kidnapped by guerrillas in Kashmir, the last living whale harpooner on the Caribbean island of Bequia, and the Greek-Turkish conflict on Cyprus. There is also a fascinating chapter on John Colter (explorer, fur trader, and member of the Corps of Discovery led by Lewis and Clark) in which he comments on the need for some to seek adventure as a means of escape from our relatively safe modern world: "Life in modern society is designed to eliminate as many unforeseen events as possible, and as inviting as that seems, it leaves us hopelessly underutilized.... Threats to our safety and comfort have been so completely wiped out that we have to go out of our way to create them." Junger has a keen grasp on this mentality (in fact, he exhibits it himself), and in Fire he clearly explains the fears and difficulties involved in reporting on dangerous events from foreign countries: "You have two weeks to understand a completely alien culture, find a story that no one has heard of, and run it into the ground. It never feels even remotely possible. But it is." And he has done it well in this thrilling book. --Shawn Carkonen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:34 -0400)

"For readers and viewers of The Perfect Storm, opening this new work by Sebastian Junger will be like stepping off the deck of the Andrea Gail and into the inferno of a fire burning out of control in the steep canyons of Idaho. Here is the same meticulous prose brought to bear on the inner workings of a terrifying elemental force: here is a cast of characters risking everything in an effort to bring that force under control." "Few writers have been to so many desperate corners of the globe as has Sebastian Junger: fewer still have provided such starkly memorable evocations of characters and events. From the murderous mechanics of the diamond trade in Sierra Leone to the logic of guerrilla warfare in Afghanistan and the forensics of genocide in Kosovo, this new collection of Junger's nonfiction will take you places you wouldn't dream of going to on your own."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,651,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible