Big Girl Panties: A Novel by Stephanie…

Big Girl Panties: A Novel (edition 2014)

by Stephanie Evanovich (Author)

Member:sherry69
Title:Big Girl Panties: A Novel
Authors:Stephanie Evanovich (Author)
Info:Avon (2014), Edition: Reissue, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:stephanie evanovich, humor, read in 2017, 3 star review, contemporary

Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich

An overweight widow and a hot, sexy personal trainer find they have much in common when they meet on a plane, become friends and learn you can’t judge a book by its cover as they humorously grow and change…and fall in love. ( )
  sherry69 | Mar 16, 2017 |
Main character needs a shot in the arm after losing her husband. She needs a makeover--to lose weight and a makeover besides. Well known trainer takes her on as her project and after a lot of denial admits he has feelings for her past friendship. Turns out he has a secret--his idea of slap and tickle is spanking. She doesn't know what to do but kinda likes it all the same and doesn't want to lose him. She is ready to leave the area and go back to OR and is on the plane and he turns up on the plane and wins her back. ( )
  lhaines56 | Feb 5, 2017 |
This book had a lot of potential. I'm a fan of chick lit, romance, what have you and I particularly liked the idea of a woman working through her weight issues to be confident in herself.

The book starts off well- I enjoyed how Holly was completely different from what Logan expected. Unfortunately, the book then devolves into some unnecessary bdsm (was the author trying to go with something trendy?) and a gratuitous sex scene in the first 30 pages (I really don't know why it was necessary).

I also do not like the way woman are portrayed as finding happiness when you follow the man's dreams and desires. I'm no feminist, but really??

Overall, I liked it, but it's not something I'll reread or even read something else by her. ( )
  aharey | Nov 30, 2016 |
Let me start by saying that I honestly do not recall ever giving a bad review. The books that I pick normally are ones that I just get a feeling that I will enjoy from reading the back cover. Unfortunately, for this one, I was thrown off-course. I really wanted to love this story. I wanted a story where the protagonist was an overweight individual who finally finds the strength within herself to turn it all around and find her happily ever after. I did not find that is this book.

Holly Brennan is a woman who has been through a lot in her 32 years. Born as a late-in-life baby to parents who were already done with raising kids, Holly did not get the loving, supportive childhood that every child deserves. Later, she marries a fellow loner, a guy that she is not madly in love with, but one that at least shows an interest in her. He is then diagnosed with cancer and dies a short time later, leaving Holly a young widow. During this time, she turns to the only comfort she can find - food. At this point she is unhappy, overweight, and suffering from a bad case of low self-esteem.

Holly then decides that she has had enough and is determined to lose some weight. She finds Logan who is a personal trainer. I found Logan to be a shallow, egotistical jerk. In my opinion I felt like he acted like Holly should be humbled by the fact that he even helped her at all. His opinion of overweight people was appalling! When he finds himself becoming attracted to Holly, he seems to constantly be freaking out that he finds any connection between them at all. His type is the typical supermodel/Barbie - not a fat girl!! If the author wanted this guy to be seen like some knight in shining armor, she totally missed the mark - at least for me anyway. I could not STAND this guy. What a horrid individual!

When Holly and Logan's relationship finally gets physical, this is where the story gets worse. Logan decides to get a little kinky, and next thing you know we have a "spanking" scene. Ugh!! I am no prude....but really??? This was one of the most uncomfortable sex scenes ever. And what makes it even creepier was the dialog during the scene when Logan tells Holly that this is what happens to "little girls" who mess with the "big boys"....This is where I think I threw up in my mouth a little!

Anyway, like I said earlier, I am not used to giving bad reviews. But, I received this book from the Goodreads First Reads program which asks for an HONEST review in return. And this, unfortunately, IS my honest opinion. I didn't feel like the topic of obesity was handled as well as it could have been. Can a fat girl not be attractive? Can she not be funny, or lovable or worthy of finding a great person regardless of her weight? I would've liked for Holly to find a great guy that saw past the weight and helped her become the butterfly that she always was. And although there were some not-so-bad parts, I really did not enjoy this book much.
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |
****************** Stats **********************
Hero : 5 Heroine : 5 Peak Factor:5 Plot:5 Writing:5
**********************************************
Overall Star rating: 5

"And daily, without fail, she would ask God to please let her be thin. Not forever, she would pray, just for a few days" - Holly Brennan

I received this book as a First Read on Goodreads. I am chunky and I am okay with it but, sometimes we all need a wake up to find out who we are. I wanted to hate Logan I really did but, I couldn't. It was sort of like Shallow Hal but a little different because Logan doesn't see someone who is not there instead he sees something he doesn't like. I would say that I am so glad that I did not listen to the reviews that I had previously read and gave the book a chance. It was amazing. Holly had never experienced Love and by that I mean she never loved herself and had never felt love by anyone not even her parents. To see her transform into a beautiful woman reminds me of when I met my fiance. She was everything in this world that Logan would never touch. Logan who suffered from the "Beautiful Swan" syndrome. Only dated beautiful women and was shallow to the point of he would not let any of them get anywhere near his heart. I loved the sub-characters in this book as no one was judgmental to the point of pain. This book was adorable and definitely a 5 star book in my eyes. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |

Stephanie Evanovichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schorr, KatieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter One
"I'M SORRY, MR. MONTGOMERY," THE PRETTY EMPLOYEE BEHIND THE counter said apologetically, "but for the next flight out, it's the best I can offer."

When Logan Montgomery, a personal trainer to the country's most famous pro athletes, offers to help her get back in shape, young widow Holly Brennan, deciding to make at least one positive change in her life, throws herself into exercise and into Logan's arms.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,269,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible