Naked statistics : stripping the dread from…

Naked statistics : stripping the dread from the data (edition 2013)

by Charles J. Wheelan

Member:mpultroon
Title:Naked statistics : stripping the dread from the data
Authors:Charles J. Wheelan
Info:
Collections:R's
Tags:Mathematics, Statistics, Business, Computers

Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data by Charles Wheelan

My interests in Mathematics have been a little above normal for quite some time now. I took up this book to refresh my Statistical knowledge, assuming I knew quite a bit about the subject and boy was I wrong.

Charles Wheelan has done an exceptional work in writing this book. The title basically translates to 'Understanding Statistics through its application' which apparently is an amazing way to teach any subject for that matter.

I did not know the power of Regression Analysis and the author elucidates it extremely well. Other advanced topics are clarified for the general reader and booby-traps are disclosed so the reader avoids them.

All-in-all, great read, thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  nmarun | Mar 10, 2014 |
Very good introduction to statistics. The author avoids including formulas and math and explains the subject in a light and engaging way, however he makes sure we understand the challenges statistics are trying to address in each situation. We are guided from simplest concepts like average and median to probability and regression analysis. Complex statistics concepts are explained without the real difficult math behind it. Full of examples and stories I enjoyed the reading this book very much. ( )
  georgeslacombe | Feb 24, 2014 |
This is a pretty good overview of basic statistics. For the most part, there's nothing that hasn't been covered by lots of other popular statistics books, but he does get into some interesting topics in the last few chapters. ( )
  wanack | Apr 28, 2013 |
This is not the most exciting book ever, but it's way more exciting than you would think for a book about statistics.
More importantly, people: YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS STUFF. This is how you separate the lies from the damn lies from the nonsense that TV news shows spew at you. I don't care if you read THIS one, but please just fucking read a book about statistics. THANK you. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
After reading Nate Silver’s The Signal and the Noise (about probability and predictions), Naked Statistics seemed like a good follow-up. It is not a statistics textbook. But the author makes readers appreciate why we all need to understand statistics and know how to recognize when data are being used to mislead. He also provides resources for those who want more detail.

(The last time I read about the topic was in journalism school when the small book “How to Lie with Statistics” was a recommended read. Be assured, the book was meant to help us detect BS, not dish it out. )

Although I’ll never use regression analysis – nor any of the other complex mathematical processes outlined here -- I feel much more able to look at statistics in the eye – and ask questions.

The last chapter on “Program Evaluation” helped me understand why there is little agreement on, for example, how to evaluate schools and teachers, or whether or not extra police on duty can help reduce crime (they can).

Naked Statistics is a book best read slowly. I read no more than one chapter a day, gave it time to digest. I may even have to read it again to capture the information in my brain. (That makes two books in as many weeks that will probably require more readings. I wonder if it’s a problem with my brain or the books.)

The author is blessed with a sense of humor -- which helped make the topic quite palatable. ( )
4 vote NewsieQ | Mar 2, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0393071952, Hardcover)

The best-selling author of Naked Economics defies the odds with a book about statistics that you’ll welcome and enjoy.

Once considered tedious, the field of statistics is rapidly evolving into a discipline Hal Varian, chief economist at Google, has actually called “sexy.” From batting averages and political polls to game shows and medical research, the real-world application of statistics continues to grow by leaps and bounds. How can we catch schools that cheat on standardized tests? How does Netflix know which movies you’ll like? What is causing the rising incidence of autism? As best-selling author Charles Wheelan shows us in Naked Statistics, the right data and a few well-chosen statistical tools can help us answer these questions and more.

For those who slept through Stats 101, this book is a lifesaver. Wheelan strips away the arcane and technical details and focuses on the underlying intuition that drives statistical analysis. He clarifies key concepts such as inference, correlation, and regression analysis, reveals how biased or careless parties can manipulate or misrepresent data, and shows us how brilliant and creative researchers are exploiting the valuable data from natural experiments to tackle thorny questions.

And in Wheelan’s trademark style, there’s not a dull page in sight. You’ll encounter clever Schlitz Beer marketers leveraging basic probability, an International Sausage Festival illuminating the tenets of the central limit theorem, and a head-scratching choice from the famous game show Let’s Make a Deal—and you’ll come away with insights each time. With the wit, accessibility, and sheer fun that turned Naked Economics into a bestseller, Wheelan defies the odds yet again by bringing another essential, formerly unglamorous discipline to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:36:32 -0400)

Demystifies the study of statistics by stripping away the technical details to examine the underlying intuition essential for understanding statistical concepts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,233,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible