The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart

The Drunken Botanist

by Amy Stewart

Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: The Drunken Botanist focuses entirely on fermentation of various plants, while Cooked also delves into other cooking processes, but they both have a similar approach to looking at both the natural and the cultural history of the things we consume.… (more)

English (42)  Piratical (1)  All (43)
I don't think this book was BAD, it just wasn't my thing? It might be a science writing stylistic thing or just this book, but the sections, although short, were still not the most interesting things in the world to me. It's not a long book? And I certainly did learn some things about plants and alcohol, and if you're into that kind of thing there are lots of fancy fancy cocktail recipes for you to try! But it wasn't inspiring and we'll see how much sticks with me in the days and weeks after I put it aside. ( )
  aijmiller | May 12, 2017 |
Booze history with a bit of botany and a dash of chemistry for flavor. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A fascinating book that will appeal to drinkers, scientists and social historians. I was struck by how well balanced the book is; there is an awful lot of science packed in around the alcohol knowledge. ( )
  martensgirl | Sep 10, 2016 |
I saw this in a bookstore and thought it might be mildly interesting but perhaps not so good on audio. It's certainly not ideal for audio, but I was thoroughly fascinated. The amount of information within is pretty striking.

Seriously this was a bit of an eye-opener for me. It never occurred to me how interesting the worlds drinks are or the world of cocktails. I wasn't even really curious about cocktails before. That has changed. ( )
1 vote dchaikin | Dec 10, 2015 |
Like her "Wicked" books, this is more of a reference book to be dipped into than a book to read all in one chunk. It is a mixture of science, history, folklore, horticulture, and mixology, which is both entertaining and educational to read. I probably would have enjoyed it even more if I actually liked liquor. ( )
1 vote SylviaC | Nov 25, 2015 |
To PSB
The inspiration for this book came from a chance encounter at a convention of garden writers in Portland, Oregon.

Amy Stewart explores the dizzying array of herbs, flowers, trees, fruits, and fungi that humans have, through ingenuity, inspiration, and sheer desperation, contrived to transform into alcohol over the centuries.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amy Stewart's book The Drunken Botanist was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible