dismiss

The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks

by Amy Stewart

Amy Stewart explores the dizzying array of herbs, flowers, trees, fruits, and fungi that humans have, through ingenuity, inspiration, and sheer desperation, contrived to transform into alcohol over the centuries.
    The Secret Lives of Color by Kassia St Clair (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Similarly structured, they actually arrive at a lot of the same historical reference points as they each present a portrait of human history and natural science through their own tiny lens.
    Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: The Drunken Botanist focuses entirely on fermentation of various plants, while Cooked also delves into other cooking processes, but they both have a similar approach to looking at both the natural and the cultural history of the things we consume.… (more)

English (49)  Piratical (1)  All languages (50)
A delightful romp through the world of alcoholic drinks and the plants which go into them. I read the book first on Kindle, and liked it so much I bought a hardback copy so I could refer back to sections with ease. Reading it does not require training in botany, but it does help. The only thing missing was dandelion wine. The author convinced me that "if it grows, we can make a drink from it"! ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Read the book in hardback, courtesy of my daughter-in-law. Ms. Stewart's prose intrigues me.
  Elizabeth80 | Nov 30, 2019 |
Now I know more about the boos I drink. Gravely researched in a way that when quoted in a bar or liquor store will make you sound like a bad ass, makes this an enlightening read.
  untitled841 | Jul 24, 2019 |
Awesomely informative and a fertile source of culinary ideas. ( )
  Rubygarnet | Feb 11, 2019 |
An educational book about the history, process, and other facts about drinks and the plants that go in them. Amy Stewart is a brilliant writer; the crazy facts she threw into this was amazing (jasmine can either smell like honey or urine to a person).

The only downside was that I listened to this on audio, and the narrator was not my speed. I felt like I was in college lecture all over again. This has nothing to do with the content of the book, which I highly recommend! Just maybe get the physical copy, and not audio.

Plus this has recipes! And you get to learn of any incidents of possible drunk animals eating naturally fermented fruit in the wild. ( )
  JPetersonReads | Dec 23, 2018 |
To PSB
The inspiration for this book came from a chance encounter at a convention of garden writers in Portland, Oregon.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amy Stewart's book The Drunken Botanist was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Amy Stewart is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,067,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible