I'll Take What She Has: A Novel by Samantha…

I'll Take What She Has: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Samantha Wilde

Member:voracious
Title:I'll Take What She Has: A Novel
Authors:Samantha Wilde
Info:Bantam (2013), Paperback, 416 pages

I'll Take What She Has by Samantha Wilde

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast and easy read. I'm hoping to read more from Ms. Wilde! ( )
  xhollishx | Jun 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Midwesterner Nora is an English teacher at a co-ed boarding school outside of Boston. She is recently married and desperately wants to get pregnant. Nora loves her husband but does not feel the spark she felt with her ex-lover, David, who happens to teach at the same school. Anne isn't married, though she wants to be, and she has two children by lover Ted, who has been unable to disentangle himself from his marriage. Anne is a painter who believes in throwing herself into full-time motherhood. These two women have been best friends since childhood. Enter Cynthia, David's new wife (yes, that David). She is perfection personified--beautiful, talented, cultured. She quickly makes friends with Nora and starts to push Anne out of her position of best friend. So the stage is set. For what? you ask. For lots of whining and complaining. Wringing of the hands. And envy of the life belonging to someone else. After a week and a half of reading and only 140 pages into the book, I had no interest in these people. ( )
  punxsygal | Mar 22, 2014 |
I’ll Take What She Has is all about friendship, infertility, parenting, motherhood, and resentment. You go through the book learning about Nora and Annie’s relationship, how they have been friends for a long time, and then how resentment sets in.
I found that, the story was becoming boring, it was repeat over, and over. There really wasn’t a point where I wanted to learn more about the “characters”. Soem of the topics throughout the book a lot of people deal with in real life. I just didn’t find it to be an absolute turn pager for me. However, if you love chic-lit, drama, and repeat of some topics you might enjoy this book! ( )
  wjbooks | Nov 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting take on two women's complicated lives. Nora and Annie have been life-long friends with a relationship they seem to take for granted. When another women threatens their friendship, loyalties are tested. Nora and Annie must confront their true feelings and take responsibility for their actions.

The overall story was enjoyable and an easy read. The characters made some unusual and interesting life choices but they became quite annoying and whiny. That did lend well though to the theme and the complexity of friendships, especially among women. Jealousy and envy were huge stumbling blocks for Nora and Annie which was understandable. What was frustrating was that these characters didn't talk to each other about their problems. They could have saved so much time and energy if they had been honest with each other. Of course real life isn't that simple and that would have led to a much shorter book.

I did like the writing and sense of humor even when I didn't like the characters and their often dumb decisions. I look forward to trying future books from this author.

Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers for a copy in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Wrighty | Jul 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this book, but I found it to be quite predictable. The women in the book were predictable and complained a lot. I wanted to like it, and kept reading to find the hidden "gem" in the book, but it never came. A bit disappointing. ( )
  jdy | Jun 24, 2013 |

Perfect for fans of Marisa de los Santos and Allison Winn Scotch, Samantha Wilde’s new novel is a funny and heartfelt look at friendship, marriage, and the dynamics of modern motherhood.

Nora and Annie have been best friends since kindergarten. Nora, a shy English teacher at a quaint New England boarding school, longs to have a baby. Annie, an outspoken stay-at-home mother of two, longs for one day of peace and quiet (not to mention more money and some free time). Despite their very different lives, nothing can come between them—until Cynthia Cypress arrives on campus.

Cynthia has it all: brains, beauty, impeccable style, and a gorgeous husband (who happens to be Nora’s ex). When Cynthia eagerly befriends Nora, Annie’s oldest friendship is tested. Now, each woman must wrestle the green-eyed demon of envy and, in the process, confront imperfect, mixed-up family histories they don’t want to repeat. Amid the hilarious and harried straits of friendship, marriage, and parenthood, the women may discover that the greenest grass is right beneath their feet.

“A poignant, thoroughly entertaining tale of friends, family, and wanting more.”—Valerie Frankel, author of Four of a Kind

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:39:45 -0400)

"Nora and Annie have been best friends since kindergarten. Nora, a shy English teacher at a quaint New England boarding school, longs to have a baby. Annie, an outspoken stay-at-home mother of two, longs for one day of peace and quiet (not to mention more money and some free time). Despite their very different lives, nothing can come between them--until Cynthia Cypress arrives on campus. Cynthia has it all: brains, beauty, impeccable style, and a gorgeous husband (who happens to be Nora's ex). When Cynthia eagerly befriends Nora, Annie's oldest friendship is tested. Now, each woman must wrestle the green-eyed demon of envy and, in the process, confront imperfect, mixed-up family histories they don't want to repeat. Amid the hilarious and harried straits of friendship, marriage, and parenthood, the women may discover that the greenest grass is right beneath their feet."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

I'll Take What She Has by Samantha Wilde was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,922,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible