The orphanage of miracles by Amy Neftzger

The orphanage of miracles (2012)

by Amy Neftzger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book off of librarything! It is such a creative book chalked full of fantastic and magical imagination! It is geared toward younger kids, Id say ages 8-12 but at the age of even 33 I enjoyed it very much! It has a cursed land which is under a war between the king and a evil sorcerer. There are many great in depth characters that I think most kids can relate to! There is also the orphanage of miracles which in itself is as magical and mysterious as other magical places I have read about in other wonderful fairytales! I already looked up book 2 and see that it is at a fantastic price on nook so I will be getting it and seeing what happens next! After contacting the author on goodreads and asking it seems that there will be more books to follow this new and wonderful series! ( )
  Jaime_Smith | Aug 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What could have been a same-old same-old story was anything but. Ms. Neftzger has won herself a life-long fan. Though this tale of an Orphanage that creates/harvests/finds miracles and the orphans that live there seems aimed for the middle-grade set, this 30-something Reader thoroughly enjoyed herself. At times the moral "point" seemed a bit heavy-handed, but it wasn't anything that was necessarily a detraction from what Amy was trying to say with her work. And the illustrations (by Cory Basil) were spot-on, very lovely and warm. Really, quite a good book! ( )
  LauraBrook | Jul 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Even though the high level premise felt similar to other books, The Orphanage of Miracles caught my attention with the subtle variety in the plot. The story takes place in an unknown medieval land where magic is real and an evil sorcerer has waged war against the people and king. Seems like a pretty mundane synopsis. The difference comes with the idea of the Orphanage of Miracles. Not much is told about this Orphanage other than that it exists as a mystical place somewhere in the land where miracles are somehow manufactured. I immediately thought of Miracle Max from The Princess Bride, but after that imagery died down, I gave the book a chance. The book has two main stories working to meet one another.

A girl named Kelsey has left her home on a quest to find the Orphanage of Miracles. There’s a disaster in her home town and she’s determined to help if she can. She’s not thinking about the bigger picture of getting a miracle for the entire land as a way of ending the war. As she travels, Kelsey meets some interesting characters who both help and hinder her journey.

Meanwhile, a parallel story is presented. The reader finds out that the Orphanage DOES exist but something isn’t quite right. We follow the life of Nicholas, a young orphan inside the Orphanage. We learn that the orphans each assigned a different specific job or calling to perform. Nicholas and his friends have had bad luck trying to find their perfect calling but they are excited because their new prospect involves working directly with the creation and cultivation of Miracles. As Nicholas’s story progresses, it becomes very clear that there are major problems at the Orphanage. The entire Orphanage is shrouded in mystery both from the outside world and even to those living and working inside its walls.

As the story progressed, I saw a number of moral allegories presented. Some were more veiled than others. I think for the intended age range (grade schoolers, probably maxing out at middle school), the symbolism and suggestions may be subtle enough to be interesting ideas without being overt commentary on ethics or other moral issues. I personally found the messages to be refreshing in their veiled subtlety as a way of helping present some thoughtful ideals for children to digest.

There were a few times where I felt like the editing could have been tightened up again. The biggest problem I felt was that the mystery was perhaps a bit too obtuse which could lead to unnecessary confusion. There were a lot of elements that were left very vague or completely undefined. I saw this as a core plot device to keep even the nature of the mystery intentionally ambiguous. This became problematic during the last few chapters of the book when the revelations came flowing out with such rapidity as to be a little disorienting. Still, this imbalance was acceptable in light of the length and nature of the story.

I really enjoyed the light tone and writing of this book. The presentation of the story and the mystery were both compelling and easily accessible for young readers. I didn’t initially know that this was the first book in a series. The book ends with a nice conclusion that wraps up a lot of the core mysteries and issues with the story but it also opens up a compelling new plot that I’m genuinely interested in following up in the next book. Overall, this is a nice, light read with slightly deeper themes and ideas lingering just below the surface.

***
3 out of 5 stars ( )
  theokester | Jun 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While the premise is quirky in this middle reader novel, the characters are engaging and the action is interesting. I particularly enjoyed the strong female protagonist. I received this book through the Early Reviewer program, and enjoyed the couple of hours it took to read it, but I don't think this is the sort of book I will find myself returning to time and again. Enjoyable, but not necessarily lasting. ( )
  sstaheli | May 21, 2014 |
What an incredible journey [Amy Neftzger] takes us on in [The Orphanage of Miracles]! As a public school teacher as a got to the end it seemed to me an allegory for what is happening to our education system. That even though they have good intentions, the people in charge are stifling "miracles". You can not have success without failure, it is how we learn.

Of course I may be reading too much into this as I have a tendency to do when I am passionate about something. The "quest" of Kelsey helped her to grow. At the same time the "questioning" of Maggie, Nicholas, and Jovan helped them free themselves.

I definitely recommend this book! Never stop growing miracles! ( )
  MsHooker | May 15, 2014 |
The most astonishing thing about miracles is that they happen. (G.K. Chesterton)
The day Nicholas arrived at the orphanage, the autumn came and never went.

Perhaps everyone could use a miracle, but very few will find the one they truly need.

Amid a war torn land and hidden deep within an enchanted forest lays an orphanage where miracles abound. It s a magical place created years ago by a resolute king who must defeat an evil sorcerer waging bitter war against his land and his people. He knew that in order to save his people, victory would require a miracle.

A young girl named Kelsey also desperately needs a miracle. She sets out on a quest to find the whispered-of orphanage. Along the way she s joined by several traveling companions, including an over-sized snow leopard and a boy who cannot speak. In a land under a spell cast by the evil sorcerer, it's difficult to know the difference between what's real and what isn't ... and what a true friend looks like. Join Kelsey and her companions as they embark on an extraordinary adventure and a quest unlike any other and take a peek inside The Orphanage of Miracles.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

Amy Neftzger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Orphanage of Miracles by Amy Neftzger was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible