Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice

Vittorio the Vampire (1999)

by Anne Rice

Series: New Tales of the Vampires (2)

Recently added byMutantAtoms, SharS, nicole.m.cecchini, private library, rlpatten, Alissa-, Speedicut

This book I liked it was a good read. ( )
  weelinda | Nov 5, 2014 |
Terrible book. Boring, tedious -- she got religion and seems to have lost her talent. I think she was trying to reconcile her earlier writings with her new-found religious fervor. The result was a boring preachy mess. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |
I barely got through this one - I'd really give it like a 1.5 only because I actually finished it. That is all I've got to say. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
I didn't know if I'd like this one since all of the characters were new, but it turned out to be a refreshingly new book in Anne's series. Definitely not one you want to pass up.
  Aerow | Aug 15, 2011 |
Not bad. Mrs. Rice is a wonderful writer. ( )
  Anagarika-Sean | Sep 25, 2010 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marosz, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was a small boy I had a terrible dream.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345422392, Mass Market Paperback)

Tired of the same old vampires? Check out Anne Rice's new race of undead bloodsuckers, independent of the Lestat series. Her alterna-vamp books began with Pandora, but the second of her New Tales of the Vampires, Vittorio, is truly a new beginning--a more controlled story and probably the best of her last half-dozen books.

Rice has called Vittorio her vampire version of Romeo and Juliet. The hunky Vittorio is sweet 16 and "incalculably rich" in 15th-century Italy, the epoch of the Medicis and Vittorio's favorite painter, madly passionate Filippo Lippi. Florence is to Vittorio what New Orleans is to Interview with the Vampire.

One night, Vittorio's family is butchered by vampires. The gorgeous Ursula spares Vittorio to make him her reluctant undying sweetheart. Ursula's ravishings of Vittorio recall the erotica Rice wrote under her own name and the pen names Anne Rampling and A.N. Roquelaure.

Vittorio flees to the creepy town of Santa Maddalana, which has made a pact to sacrifice its young to Lord Florian's vampire horde. Vittorio is bent on revenge as he invades the eerie Court of the Ruby Grail (i.e. blood), as angry with the child-sacrificing humans as he is with Florian's fang gangsters. Torn between lust, murderous rage, and vampire thirst, Vittorio is one interestingly troubled soul.

Rice urges readers to enter Vittorio's world by reading the sources she embroiders, Fra Filippo Lippi and Public Life in Renaissance Florence, and to get a feel for the scary communion Vittorio sees in the Court of the Ruby Grail by listening to All Souls' Vespers. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:48 -0400)

A 15th century Florentine knight sets out to avenge the massacre of his family by vampires. Vittorio di Riniari owes his life to Ursula, a beautiful vampire who had him spared so she could ravish him. He is keen on her too, but family honor comes first. By the author of Pandora.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible