Vittorio, the Vampire (New Tales of the…

Vittorio, the Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires) (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Anne Rice (Author)

Member:qotfuray1
Title:Vittorio, the Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires)
Authors:Anne Rice (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice (1999)

That it I'm afraid. I'm finished with Anne Rice after following her since the first - there's only so much angst you can take before depression sets in.

Early Anne Rice novels, the first Lestat books in particular, carried you along in wonderment at a new view of the world, but that wonder has grown stale and stagnant, and lanquid posing while waiting for the next sexual frisson does not, for me anyway, make for interesting reading.

Wondering about your place in the world is all very well, but most of us grow out of it in our teens. Maybe that's why these Vampires do little more than gaze at their own navels - they are emotionally stunted.

Too much new-gothic lounging and not enough plot.

williemeikle | Dec 22, 2018 |
Even though this was a short book, I expected more than I received here. There wasn't much to the story besides how Vittorio became a vampire, which in itself felt a little disjointed for me. And I didn't get a sense of who Vittirio rally was. This story was all action and not much emotion or thought. I don't regret reading it, but I do think there could have been more done with the story. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 2, 2016 |
Vittorio is telling a tale of his life 450ish years ago, in the mid-15th century in Italy, before he was turned into a vampire. His family was slain, but he was left to live by a beautiful vampire, Ursula.

Not great. Initially I thought it might be ok, but with the angels and such, boring. In fact, I kind of missed when he became a vampire (that is, I thought he had before he actually did). Between this and Memnoch the Devil, I think I'm finished with Anne Rice. At least it was quick and I can get the book out of my house. ( )
1 vote LibraryCin | Dec 22, 2015 |
Uninspiring and disappointing

2 stars

This was my first Anne Rice novel. The story follows Vittorio in his quest to avenge his family, murdered at the hands of vampires. The start looked promising but took a nosedive. It lacked action. Two kids kicking a ball back and forth to each other could provide more action than what I read. A little past midway, I wanted scream. How could a book about vampires have been this dry? Vitorrio's undying love for Ursula, the vampire who made him unwillingly become a blood thirsty vamp, was unbelievably ridiculous. I didn't see how it happened. It was these variants (she) who help murder his family. What??? I think I'm done with Anne Rice, for now. ( )
  Feleciak | Oct 10, 2015 |
Terrible book. Boring, tedious -- she got religion and seems to have lost her talent. I think she was trying to reconcile her earlier writings with her new-found religious fervor. The result was a boring preachy mess. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marosz, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This novel is dedicated to Stan, Christopher, Michele and Howard; to Rosario and Patrice; to Pamela and Elaine; and to Niccolo.
This novel is dedicated by Vittorio to the people of Florence, Italy.
When I was a small boy I had a terrible dream.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345422392, Mass Market Paperback)

Tired of the same old vampires? Check out Anne Rice's new race of undead bloodsuckers, independent of the Lestat series. Her alterna-vamp books began with Pandora, but the second of her New Tales of the Vampires, Vittorio, is truly a new beginning--a more controlled story and probably the best of her last half-dozen books.

Rice has called Vittorio her vampire version of Romeo and Juliet. The hunky Vittorio is sweet 16 and "incalculably rich" in 15th-century Italy, the epoch of the Medicis and Vittorio's favorite painter, madly passionate Filippo Lippi. Florence is to Vittorio what New Orleans is to Interview with the Vampire.

One night, Vittorio's family is butchered by vampires. The gorgeous Ursula spares Vittorio to make him her reluctant undying sweetheart. Ursula's ravishings of Vittorio recall the erotica Rice wrote under her own name and the pen names Anne Rampling and A.N. Roquelaure.

Vittorio flees to the creepy town of Santa Maddalana, which has made a pact to sacrifice its young to Lord Florian's vampire horde. Vittorio is bent on revenge as he invades the eerie Court of the Ruby Grail (i.e. blood), as angry with the child-sacrificing humans as he is with Florian's fang gangsters. Torn between lust, murderous rage, and vampire thirst, Vittorio is one interestingly troubled soul.

Rice urges readers to enter Vittorio's world by reading the sources she embroiders, Fra Filippo Lippi and Public Life in Renaissance Florence, and to get a feel for the scary communion Vittorio sees in the Court of the Ruby Grail by listening to All Souls' Vespers. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

A 15th century Florentine knight sets out to avenge the massacre of his family by vampires. Vittorio di Riniari owes his life to Ursula, a beautiful vampire who had him spared so she could ravish him. He is keen on her too, but family honor comes first. By the author of Pandora.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,725,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible