100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories by…

100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories

by Michael A. Arnzen

Meh. Many of these stories were quite good, I suppose, but horror fiction has never been my thing. If you do like horror stories, you will probably like these. ( )
  meggyweg | Nov 2, 2010 |
I like to read short stories by authors because I think it tells a lot about their abilities. A person has to have mad skills to pull off successful short stories. I think they showcase an author's talent much more than a novel ever could.

Word choice becomes very important the shorter the story. Mike Arnzen does that very well with these tales. His descriptions, similes and metaphors made me laugh, groan and just go, "ewwww" but they all are so spot on. As I read, I'm thinking, 'that's exactly how intestines would probably sound sliding around on a table top'. Very visual stories and the sensory descriptions skin crawlingly (okay, not a word) realistic. I recommend this to those who want an uncomfortable laugh served up with their horror. Gruesome and gory; but brought to you courtesy a quirky sense of humor.

And check out his CD, AudioVile. It has many of the same stories from the book read to you by the author. His delivery just gives a whole new way to take in a story. At first, I was a little thrown off by the experience. It's sort of a Russell Simmons Def Comedy/Poetry Jam mixed with a hint of book on tape narration and a sound track thrown in for good measure. Very quickly though, I got into the spirit of the presentation. Screw Audacity of Hope, this should have won a Spoken Word Grammy! Not your typical book on tape ho hum.

I so wasn't expecting the experience--book or CD--and again, I'm looking at myself thinking, 'oh my God, you're laughing at this?!" ha! Some of the stories really were on the edge of SWEET JEBUS I'M TRAUMATIZED!, but, the fact that he brought out such visceral feelings--good or bad-- means he did his job as a writer.

Best story? Driving the Sick Elephant. Best story on the CD just for overall delivery? Six Short Films about Chauncey the Serial Killer. Very creative package.

If you get the opportunity, read it; listen to it; visit the author's site.

http://www.gorelets.com/ ( )
1 vote DanaJean | Feb 26, 2009 |

Has the adaptation

one hundred stories

needle-sharp, potent, sudden

snakebite in book form

(by reader, Scott Emerson)

100 Jolts actually features one hundred short shots of fiction guaranteed to stun. Arnzen has honed his craft to deliver the highest voltage using the fewest words.

According to the author "Horror is the genre of the jolt, the shock, the spark. The horror story's conflict is always a matter of life and death, but death...almost always comes too soon—that's why we fear it."

And now readers have a new reason to be afraid. One hundred new reasons!

From the grotesque to the hilarious these bits of micro-fiction will keep you entertained long after you put the book down.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:54 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Michael A. Arnzen's book 100 Jolts: Shockingly Short Stories was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Michael Arnzen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible