We know what you want : how they change your…

We know what you want : how they change your mind (edition 2005)

by Martin Howard, Douglas. Coercion Rushkoff

Member:micahthreaddnown
Title:We know what you want : how they change your mind
Authors:Martin Howard
Other authors:Douglas. Coercion Rushkoff
Info:New York, NY : Disinformation Co., c2005.
Collections:Read but unowned

We Know What You Want: How They Change Your Mind by Martin Howard

I wrote this book. Here are some reviews for it...
Martin Howard’s book is] entertaining yet McLuhanesque... filled with engaging graphics and provocative but easy-to-follow guidelines for maintaining autonomy in a world made of marketing. This is a far more accessible and applicable treatment of my material for a wider audience looking to understand what is happening in our commercialized culture, and how to lead a life guided by meaning in spite of it all.”
Douglas Rushkoff

‘must read’ for any interested in business, marketing, consumerism and beyond,
Midwest Book Review
“captures precisely what’s going on at the moment... a fascinating overview of all the marketing tactics that are working to influence consumers on a much subtler level than traditional advertising...It’s well-done.” AdPulp

“a vibrantly designed, practical introduction to how we are psychologically influenced as a result of intentional strategic design”
BuzzFlash

Libero (Italy)

“a classic... very easy to understand”
La Republicca (Italy)

"something we badly need, a readable, usable guide that brings to light these hidden mechanisms of consumer control.... could easily be a textbook for a much-needed freethinking school curriculum"
News From Nowhere
“in order to get at the truth, you should read this great soft cover, beautifully produced with exceptional graphics and quotes about ‘how they change your mind. It is a brilliantly conceived book" John Austin

"Solid primer about the ways your mind can be and is controlled by corporations looking to make you buy their stuff. This will freak you out.” Quimby’s ( )
  martinjhoward | Jan 20, 2009 |
The marketers and public relations firms of this world are constantly improving the myriad of ways they have to get inside your head and manipulate you to their way of thinking. This book looks at some of them.

Today’s supermarkets intentionally place popular items, like milk and bread, as far from the entrance as possible. That way, the shopper must pass all those impulse items at the end of each aisle. Also, they are subjected to muzak tracks that will cause them to ignore their shopping lists and stay longer. Have you ever heard of the Gruen Transfer? It describes the moment when a shopper loses control of the decision-making process, characterized by suggestibility and glazed eyes. It is at this time that a shopper is most likely to make an unplanned purchase.

At the local sports stadium, is there any surface, except for the player’s uniforms and the field itself, that doesn’t have a corporate logo? You have probably seen Video News Releases, slick corporate promotions and government messages designed to look like news, even if you have never heard of them. The book also looks at how to engineer public opinion, through front groups, paid experts and targeted messages.

Ebay has said that will ignore their own privacy policy if law enforcement is looking for information on a specific person, and hand over that information without a court order. Everyone is familiar with cookies, spam and spyware on your computer. Not everyone knows that Kazaa software embeds extra, hard-to-find, programs on your computer. They send information on your viewing habits to third-party servers. Advertising and subliminal messages are among the newest trends in computer games. This book also includes a list of actual patents for inventions that involve "regulated subconscious behavioral control by invisible means."

This is a first-rate gem of a book. It is really easy to read. While some might consider the information in this book common knowledge, it is still a rather spooky look at how well They have gotten inside our heads. It is very much recommended. ( )
  plappen | Aug 6, 2007 |
The retail sector has burst beyond the quaint confines of the corner shop.

We've all been 'had'. But we may not realise how often. The best persuaders know how to change your mind without you ever finding out. Subliminal Tactics are being used today.

We know what you want: How they change your mind. is a handbook for locating the hidden messages that bombard us every day. Now you can find out the new techniques that corporations are using to make subconscious approaches without consent. It exposes five major zones where consumers are being confronted: In the retail context, at public events, through information media, personal friendships, and the personal computer.

"This book reveals the current tactics that corporations and governments are using to make secret approaches in five major areas of our lives. For the first time, this illustrated guide presents the full range of techniques that are being used in the battle for your mind - bringing together research from hundreds of different sources."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,804,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible