Going Home: A Novel (The Survivalist Series)…

Going Home: A Novel (The Survivalist Series) (edition 2013)

by A. American (Author)

Member:lauri804
Title:Going Home: A Novel (The Survivalist Series)
Authors:A. American (Author)
Info:Plume (2013), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages
Collections:Read in 2013
Tags:read-in-2016

Going Home by A. American

It’s guilty pleasure time and I have to admit that I absolutely wallowed in Going Home by A. American. There isn’t a speck of literary value to this book, but it did keep me totally engaged with it’s survival storyline and non-stop action. The main character is over 250 miles from home when the North American power grid shuts down. All he wants to do is get home to his wife and daughters and so he sets out on foot. Luckily he just happens to be a survivalist and he always carries the necessary equipment to survive in most any conditions. Along the way he picks up a young women who also wants to get home and a black truck driver. The three have many adventures along the way, running into black gangs, redneck bullies, some military types and even a pedophile who is in charge of a camp and lording it over the other people. It did seem a little repetitive when almost all the people they met were “bad”.

The power failure turned out to be part of a conspiracy by a rogue element in the American government. Assisted by the Homeland Security Department, military rule was being put into effect, but this turned out to be a front for “them” taking what they wanted. A thread of mistrust toward authority and a definite view of city-dwellers as sheep who blindly follow and are totally helpless when all moral authority is removed is on display throughout the story. While I enjoyed the survival aspect of the story, I need to warn others that there were many grammatical and typographical errors that interrupted the overall flow. The female characters were either frightened, clinging vines or harpies that needed to be controlled (by a MAN, of course). Product placement played a strong element as well and left me wondering if Walmart didn’t help foot the bill for publishing the book.

Although the last thing I would ever do would be to grab a rifle and jump on an ATV to go hunting, this story is peopled by characters that embrace this lifestyle. Even though I wouldn’t last five minutes in a situation like this I love to read about it. I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I couldn’t put this book down - I devoured it and I will probably do the same with the sequel. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 12, 2018 |
Formula for prepping disguised as a book. I believe these books were bolted together from periodic forum posts. The way the book reads makes more sense if you know this ahead of time.

Not nearly as good as "Tomorrow War: The Chronicles of Max [Redacted]" which suffered from similar problems. ( )
  LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |
Good book overall. I'm in love with the survivalist books lately and this seemed like a reasonable next read. It's nice to read a survival book that isn't full of religious nuts after a steady diet of books by Rawles. Looking forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  knfmn | Dec 22, 2016 |
Going Home: A Novel of Survival and Surviving Home by A. American (Angery American in copyright) are two end-of-the-world survivalist/conspiracy theory novels.

In Going Home we find out that an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) or a coronal mass ejection (CME) has hit the USA and fried the electrical grid. Morgan Carter is 250 miles away from home and he must walk back through a land where society is collapsing. He begins traveling with Jess, a college student trying to get home) and Thad (another survivor trying to get home). They in turn meet, along the way, Thad's friend, Sarge, retired military, who suspects that what happened may not be an accident. The way home is fraught with danger as the unprepared people want to take what others (Morgan, etc) own.

Morgan is well prepared for the disaster. He always travels with ALL the gear he would need to survive and a backpack to carry his supplies. The beginning of the novel is like a list of survival supplies one should always have in their possession just in case and a step by step outline of what Morgan did, which is all written in first person: I did this, I packed, I ate, I had... And the way Morgan and crew just happen to come across or manage to acquire things they need in Going Home seems a bit too far-fetched.

Surviving Home follows Morgan and his family and neighbors, Thad and his family, and Sarge and his men as they make their way in the rapidly deteriorating society. It appears that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) could be behind the event - or at least took advantage of it to perpetuate nefarious deeds on unsuspecting Americans. Those in the know are fighting back while at the same time they have to fight off their neighbors (sheeple) who didn't prepare for an emergency and are now jealous of what Morgan and the others have. Morgan is most assuredly very well prepared for this disaster.

Let me just say right from the start that I get being prepared for emergencies, something that I carried over from my childhood on the plains. I keep enough food around so that no one will starve if we're snowed in for a The Long Winter amount of time. I buy stuff on sale and store it. That's just common sense. There's water just in case something should happen. But, my car is not filled up with a personal survival kit. If an EMP or CME hit during a normal day, I'd be within an easy couple of mile walk from my home. Right now my car contains 3 umbrellas (don't ask) a gum wrapper, a plastic grocery bag and there might be a water bottle under the seat.

Yes, being hit with an EMP or MCE (as of this writing we just missed one a couple weeks ago) is a frightening prospect, but the idea of always carrying survival equipment and weapons just in case is... scarier. Of course you need an emergency kit if you are traveling distances, but I have a feeling that most people's idea of an emergency kit is closer to my idea rather than a full out pack of survival gear, MRE's (military meals ready to eat) and weapons.

While both novels have an interesting premise, the actual quality of the writing is bad enough that it detracts from the credibility of the storyline. The author also assumes that everyone reading will know what all the acronyms and abbreviations stand for, which was not the case. Certainly some of them are easy to figure out (DHS, MRE) but I had to sit and think about what was happening when Morgan pulled out his binos. Wouldn't it have been just as easy to write binoculars? Do people actually call them binos? I have a pair of good binos, but I've always said binoculars.

The story in both novels is good, if a little paranoid, but the actual technical quality of writing leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to read Going Home: A Novel of Survival and Surviving Home and know that you can easily overlook the problems with the writing, the story is interesting. If you know you will be annoyed by problems with the writing, you better skip these novels.
Note that the second novel, Surviving Home, is actually better written than the first, Going Home. There should also be a third coming out sometime based on how the second novel ended. Recommended for the story, not the execution.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of the Penguin Group via Netgalley for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
ABR's full Going Home audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The cover of this book is right on. One man, a long road ahead of him and unknown dangers to face.

Starts out with Morgan Carter sitting in his car trying to figure out why is stopped running. He tries his cell and it is out too. So is his LP. All electronics are dead. EMP or CSF he decides and it must have been a big one. Good thing he had his survival pack with him. It’s 250 miles home and he only has two feet to get him there. Morgan is just over 6ft. and around 250 lbs. “Not all of it muscle.”

When he allowed, a young college girl, Jess, to join him the writer changed to third person. It was also that way when Thad, a huge Black man, asked to join him. When it was Morgan it was always first person. Three strangers with a long trip ahead. They were all trying to get home. Morgan had the knowledge and equipment to help them survive and Thad was intimidating on his own. Jess was learning to live in the new world..
I have read several other novels along these lines. I liked W. Johnston’s series. What made this one a little different and interesting was the first person telling of Morgan’s part. Morgan’s take and insights into what had happened and was happening gave life to his journey. He knew what to expect from other people they would meet. “Trust No One” was his motto. Most people he met were just confused and afraid. Others were vicious bullies who took what they wanted.

If you like this action/adventure survival type of book you won’t go wrong with this series.

Read by Duke Fontaine and he did a good job of it. His narration was clear and concise. Could have done better with some of the voices, but no big deal. I liked the sound of his voice. It was an exciting novel.

Production was faultless and smooth. Not jumps, empty spaces, or static.

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR. ( )
  audiobibliophile | May 11, 2015 |
This had been a good week.

When Morgan Carter's car breaks down 250 miles from his home, he figures his weekend plans are ruined. But things are about to get much, much worse: the country's power grid has collapsed. There is no electricity, no running water, no Internet, and no way to know when normalcy will be restored -- if it ever will be. An avid survivalist, Morgan takes to the road with his prepper pack on his back. During the grueling trek from Tallahassee to his home in Lake County, chaos threatens his every step but Morgan is hell-bent on getting home to his wife and daughters -- and he'll do whatever it takes to make that happen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,242,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible