Blood and Beauty by Sarah Dunant

Blood and Beauty

by Sarah Dunant

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Being a history fanatic I was glad to be able to review this one. Normally drawn to American history I wanted to step into something a bit different. I was very pleased with the book, Dunant created a factual and captivating book on the Borgias. As a matter of fact I was more than happy to recommend it to a couple of friends ( )
  fletch68 | Jun 17, 2014 |
I cannot say just how much I loved this book. There is something in the depth of the authors writing and research that appeals to me, and like the other stories I have read by Sarah Dunant, Blood and Beauty did not disappoint. It is the story of the Borgia family during the late 15th/early 16th century, during the height of the Italian Renaissance, a subject which enthralls me. Rodrigo Borgia buys his way into papal legacy, with guts and determination, along with slipping money to the right people. He is the father of four illegitimate children - technically a cardinal and pope cannot have children, but there are ways around everything. He proceeds, after his election as Pope Alexander Vl, to procure wealth and titles for his children, until his untimely death some years later. He was passionate about money, his children, his legacy, and God. Along the way he changed laws and terms, conditions to suit his own driven needs creating a corrupt net of power and fear. The author, at the end, pretty much guarantees a sequel, which I am looking forward to! The story is based on widely spread facts and assumptions, and also on the authors own fictionalized reason and deductions, but it is a glimpse into the papal world that totally intrigues. ( )
1 vote Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
I was given this book by the organisers of the Sydney Writer's Festval in 2013, as part of the gift bag they gave their volunteers.

I need to say at the outset, this is the type of book I tend to steer clear of - I prefer contemporary (or at least C20) and I font like BIG books because they're uncomfortable to hold in bed and I tend to get bored with them half way through. However, I heard a Sarah Dunant interview on ABC RN, she is a very good promoter of her books and I got caught up in wondering who the. Borgia's were - especially Lucrezia, and so I dove in.

This is what I liked - learning about the nature of the times: the lifestyle, clothes, colours and smells. The power and political intrigues of the families and church - it's difficult to draw comparisons with anything but the mafia. Actually , it's like the strongest family ends up running the church (though Christendom at this time ~1500, seems to be centred around Italy, Spain and France. I like how historical facts are swept into the story - syphillis and, sorry to put them in the same sentence, Michangelo and DaVinci.

I liked the story - the Borgia', they have a reputation that doesn't seem to line up with the times, and what they actually did. I got pulled into the story though everything was signalled before it happened, I just kept hoping it wouldn't happen. I cheered our heroine and booed the baddie (Cesare was a sociopath) and found the godfather! I mean Pope Alexander a big lump of fatherly love (cept he only really loved his immediate family and mistress, everyone else was either a pawn or the enemy). Forgot to forget, there was open papal fornication during this period, just no wives.

What I didn't like ... 528p too long - the middle section groaned, but fortunately picked up a pace the last 150 pages. Also, sometimes the language was so contemporary it was jarring, just didn't fit the times - whilst none of the characters ever actually said 'awesome', sometimes their words had the same effect.

Whilst it's unlikely I'll read any of Sarah Dunants other books, if she writes a sequel (and I think the ending of this book points to one) I'll read it because the research is amazing and I want to find out more about Lucrezia (as well as reading hopefully that Cesare had extended periods of pain and misery before his death). ( )
  tandah | Mar 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sarah Dunant is a favorite author of mine. I like her historical novels as well as her modern day ones. She has a beautiful clear writing style. Didn't expect to like Rodrigo, but I found him complex and charming and Lucia was a love.Ms. Dunant did an incredible amount of research for the novel. A wonderful writer has written a truly beautiful book. ( )
  Knittingstix | Mar 6, 2014 |
Sarah Dunant has, for some time, been one of my favorite authors. The way she focuses on not only romantic relationships, but also familial bonds, especially in Blood & Beauty: The Borgias is fantastic. I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this book, since I had never really read much about the Borgia family, but I was sincerely satisfied with this book. There was much more violence than I expected, though perhaps it's because I wasn't well versed in the Borgia tradition, but I think Dunant was able to get just the right measures of blood, love, lust, betrayal and family to flesh out the entire story. Definitely worth a read if you like historical fiction! ( )
  morgtini | Feb 25, 2014 |

By the end of the fifteenth century, the beauty and creativity of Italy is matched by its brutality and corruption, nowhere more than in Rome and inside the Church. When Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia buys his way into the papacy as Alexander VI, he is defined not just by his wealth or his passionate love for his illegitimate children, but by his blood: He is a Spanish Pope in a city run by Italians. If the Borgias are to triumph, this charismatic, consummate politician with a huge appetite for life, women, and power must use papacy and family—in particular, his eldest son, Cesare, and his daughter Lucrezia—in order to succeed.

Cesare, with a dazzlingly cold intelligence and an even colder soul, is his greatest—though increasingly unstable—weapon. Later immortalized in Machiavelli’s The Prince, he provides the energy and the muscle. Lucrezia, beloved by both men, is the prime dynastic tool. Twelve years old when the novel opens, hers is a journey through three marriages, and from childish innocence to painful experience, from pawn to political player.

Stripping away the myths around the Borgias, Blood & Beauty is a majestic novel that breathes life into this astonishing family and celebrates the raw power of his reign.

A tale inspired by the lives of Borgia siblings Lucretia and Cesare traces the family's rise in the aftermath of Rodrigo Borgia's rise to the papacy, during which war, a terrifying sexual plague, and the family's notorious reputation forge an intimate bond between brother and sister.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Blood & Beauty by Sarah Dunant was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible