Revocation (The Canyon Wolves) by Laura…

Revocation (The Canyon Wolves)

by Laura Fields

This story starts when Harper, wakes up in the hospital, with no memory of the past few years. She has forgotten being a werwolf, her mate, everything. As she starts to get to know her mate and the people of the pack she likes them more and more (with a few notable exceptions) Harper also can't believe how much she as a person seems to have changed. With a kidnapping murder on the lose, time is counting down for Harper to regain her memories.

I enjoyed this story quite a bit. I think that Fields was able to delve into character motivations quite well (especially for a novella). I loved the conclusion, and am excited to read the second one! If you are looking for a great quick read, with the right balance of romance mystery and action I suggest this book! ( )
  Kaybee2188 | Mar 4, 2013 |
Harper is a werewolf with no memory of who she is or how she ended up in the hospital. Harper doesn't know the handsome man named Axel but told that they're mated. Axel is frustrated with Harper's lack of memory and wonders what she knows. Harper is uneasy around Connor, Beta of Pack, but not sure why. Harper is unsure how to get her memory back. There have been mysterious murders surrounding the pack and not many clues to how they're done. Axel wants to solve this mystery and help Harper regain her memory. Harper's friend Gabby sets about to help Harper regain her memory. Will Harper regain her memory? Will Harper admit her feelings to Axel? Who is behind these murders? Your answers await you in Revocation.

I thought the werewolf lore was great and totally unique. The characters were great along with being flawed and vulnerable. I thought the author took great care to show the reader the depth and understanding through out the whole book. I also thought the story was clever and teasing at the same time. I look forward to the next installment. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Feb 18, 2013 |
This was an amazing read. A short story but good. Would have love to have more on all of the people in it. Looking forward to reading more. ( )
  dstawarz | Feb 2, 2013 |
I've read a few werewolf stories before, but I still quite enjoyed this one. I liked how I was discovering more about Harper at the same time as she was. The chemistry and the humour between her and Axel was really fun to read.
One of my favourite lines : “You’re a tramp. You know that?” “Baby, don’t insult me like that. I’m a wolf.” Axel winked at her.”
I am definitely looking forward to finding out what happens next. ( )
  belletaylor | Jan 29, 2013 |
Revocation is the first book of a new young adult series by Laura Fields, though it mercifully doesn't have anything to do with high school.

Harper's life is perfect. She has an awesome house, an awesome job, and an awesome boyfriend. Her only problem is that she can't remember any of it. To top it all off, she can't remember how she became a werewolf and how she ended up with the pack's leader as her mate. The event that wiped her memory was not an accident, and she needs to remember the culprit before it happens again.

This is an intriguing story with great potential but some unfortunate flaws.

The book kicks off with an immediate but rather jarring start. On the one hand, I'm always glad when I don't have to slog through a ponderous beginning. But some of this opening action is too abrupt, and I few times I had to take a moment to sort through the details.

The challenge of this story is its short length -- 20,000 words only -- which gives rise to a number of issues that could have been worked out in a longer story. There are some pacing issues with things feeling rushed. The urgent vibe is appropriate to the plot, but the manner in which the story pushes along means some things just never come together. Specifically, the emotions and motivations of the characters could really use more time to develop effectively.

Some are a few editing slips, I feel obliged to point out. For example, there is one moment in the book when the narrative voice switches from third to first person.

Of course, now that I've criticized, let me talk about the things I liked about the book. Axle is a strong, likable character. Harper may be the focal point of the story, but he provides much of the drive and depth.

Speaking of Harper... The story took a surprising, impressive twist towards the end. I can honestly say I didn't see that one coming, and my hat's off to the author for going a ways out on a limb. I'm not going to tell you what that is because it'd ruin the surprise, but it's good, trust me.

Also, Revocation is a great title, don't you think?

Sadly, the story ends just as things are truly taking off, but there is a sequel in the works.

This book was received courtesy of the author and LibraryThing Member Giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

Originally posted at Strange Bedfellows: PNR Reviews
http://strangebf.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-of-revocation.html ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jan 25, 2013 |

Laura Fields is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,912,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible