Night Film: A Novel by Marisha Pessl

Night Film: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Marisha Pessl

Member:notecloud
Title:Night Film: A Novel
Authors:Marisha Pessl
Info:Random House (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 624 pages
Rating:*****

Night Film by Marisha Pessl

Recently added byfitals, rena75, private library, rkcraig88, SandyDawn, bonevivant, eeluks
    The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Ephemera, found footage, photos, scripts add to the narrative to unfold the mystery.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Sammiwithani)

English (232)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (241)
The book had some beautiful language and some truly creepy scenes...but then, that ending. That FREAKING ending! Awful. Lowered my opinion of this book :/. Ah, well, I'd say 3/4 of it was fantastic. I'm glad I read it, at least! ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Love this book! It's so wonderfully circular, so confusing, so entangling, so dark, so shifting. Pessl did not disappoint. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Mercy me, why am I a masochist? Why do I pursue to suffer? To what do I atone? There was little doubt after Night Film's opening that it was crap, a crap larded with Sebaldean images and page freezes from Twitter and ominous blogs, sure, but I KNEW it was shit. Maybe we should return to the opening. It rained here all day Saturday; we had close to five inches. A friend and I were early for a holiday gathering and ducked into the library. I pulled Night Film off the shelf and quickly read the Wilkie Collin beginning to the One Percent noir. Instead of white, this lady wears red, I see. It is raining there as well and this haunted man is jogging in Central Park in the middle of the night, okay. Why is the prose so clunky, the clichés ridiculous and the whole scheme so impossible? Because all beautiful people who attend elitist schools feel entitled to be Nabokov. I won't bore anyone with a synopsis of the plot. I will say that to hinge so much of the reveal and the protagonist's torment on imagined films, films which appear so central to the novel's subconscious, well one must approach such balancing with aplomb for it to be convincing, much less compelling. Ms. Pessl isn't close.

jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
***SPOILERS***

It's not ok to give a character leukemia with 30 pages left in the book. I don't read books about people with leukemia for very important reason, and I'm angry about this one!!! Everything the author did well was completely undone at page 541. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
Marisha Pessl is beautiful and talented and I want to be her. It was more overtly a thriller than her first novel, which I enjoyed SO much, and I'm okay with that. It was the type of book that I enjoyed reading, and wished there was more of it to read. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
This book is like a big fun-house — Pessl lets you decide if you want to believe its magic. I probably won't remember all that much of the plot a few weeks from now and the characters are basically vehicles for an overarching idea more than anything else. But Marisha Pessl had an extremely cool and intricate idea for a novel, and ultimately it works. I was totally happy to sit in the darkness until the very last page, and I didn't move a muscle until the lights came up.
added by zhejw | editNPR, Meg Wolitzer (Aug 22, 2013)

By the time you’ve fallen halfway down this rabbit hole, the plot feels like an M.C. Escher nightmare about Edgar Allan Poe. What’s best, some of the folks whom Scott interviews tell such incantatory tales about Cordova’s grotesque antics that you’ll miss your subway stop, let dinner burn and start sleeping with the lights on.

Ms. Pessl seems to take it on faith that her readers will want more than the page provides. But that’s hardly guaranteed. This is a book that plods along for 500 pages without developing any momentum at all. It gathers steam only in a string of excitingly fake endings that contradict one another. Most of it is a halfhearted film noir pastiche with amusing period-piece characters (one is a perky hatcheck girl) and an array of different settings. But exploring them feels like roaming the endless domains of a video game, not like reading a book.

Pessl, Marishaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garton, RekhaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mortal fear is as crucial a thing to our lives as love. It cuts to the core of our being and shows us what we are. Will you step back and cover your eyes? Or will you have the strength to walk to the precipice and look out? Do you want to know what is there or live in the dark delusion that this commercial world insists we remain sealed inside like blind caterpillars in an eternal cocoon? Will you curl up with your eyes closed and die? Or can you fight your way out of it and fly?

—Stanislas Cordova

Rolling Stone, December 29, 1977
In memory of my grandmother,

Ruth Hunt Readinger

(1910-2011)
Everyone has a Cordova story, whether they like it or not.
...indicator of the problems of today's youth; raised by the Internet, they flitted from one fixation to the next with all the gravity of a mouse-click...

Una noche húmeda de octubre, la joven Ashley Cordova aparece muerta en un almacén abandonado del Bajo Manhattan. Scott McGrath, un desacreditado periodista de investigación, sospecha que detrás de este aparente suicidio se oculta una verdad mucho más retorcida. Las extrañas circunstancias que rodearon la vida de Ashley se mezclan con el legado de un padre excéntrico: el enigmático Stanislas Cordova, un legendario director de cine de terror que ha permanecido fuera de escena durante más de treinta años y que ha conseguido convertir su vida en un secreto absoluto. Sus películas de culto están prohibidas en el circuito comercial y solo pueden ser visionadas en proyecciones clandestinas. La obsesión de McGrath con el cineasta sumergirá al investigador en un mundo profundamente hipnótico y siniestro, mientras el lector, a través de una serie de documentos, pistas y fotografías, le acompaña en la misma búsqueda obsesiva.

When the daughter of a cult horror film director is found dead in an abandoned Manhattan warehouse, investigative journalist Scott McGrath, disbelieving the official suicide ruling, probes into the strange circumstances of the young woman's death.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marisha Pessl's book Night Film was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,431,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible