The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas

The Burning Sky

by Sherry Thomas

Series: Elemental Trilogy (1)

3.5 stars

Плюсы: пролог; аккуратно выстроенная любовная линия; "правильные" говорящие имена; непротиворечивость альтернативной реальности и достаточно грамотное описание реальности исторической (у меня глаз не зацепился - историки, возможно, будут плеваться, но кто же ищет историческую правду в фэнтези7). Более-менне завершённый сюжет (продолжение можно и не читать, если не хочется).

Минусы: некоторая запутанность магического мира, обилие всяких фишек, которые уже где-то были, но только обозванных другим словом. Несоответствие поведения Тита его возрасту в начале книги и несколько чрезмерное везение Иоланты. ( )
  Rezeda | May 27, 2016 |

Sherry Thomas is one of my favourite historical romance authors, so when she wrote a YA fantasy I was very curious but apprehensive to try it. Well, peeps, I needn't to have been worried. This book was AWESOME.

I haven't enjoyed a YA fantasy that much since Graceling and Eon. The characterisation was out of this world. Clever, wonderful characters, complex layers to their feelings, no easy solutions to their problems. Both Titus and Iolanthe were to die for.

“You are asking me to give up everything for a cause that isn't mine. I don't want to be part of any revolution. I just want to live.”

Titus is a token prince in a magical country conquered by Atlantis. On the surface he is a total prick, spoiled, rude, capricious, superfluous. In reality all this is a very careful smoke screen for the agents of Atlantis while he secretly searches for a mage prophesied to save the kingdom from the conquerors.

When he finds him, the only eventuality he is not prepared for is that he is a she. All is ready for a swift retreat and a clever hideout in Eton boy school in a non-magical England *grinning* and Titus is tearing his hairs out, but Iolanthe surprises the hell out of him by pulling the charade off and assuming the fake identity of Archer Fairfax, a pupil in Eton and Titus's friend.

So, the first delightful surprise is that both characters are wearing these awesome complex masks, they are not who everyone thinks they are. Titus and Iolanthe or shall I say Archer? are cheeky, sharp, clever, stubborn, honest with each other... I could not decide who was my favourite.

The second surprise is that Titus trains Iolanthe with the help of a magical reality book which is like Dungeons and Dragons. It works like a computer game, and a lot of really cool action happens through it.

So this is like Dungeons and Dragons slash Happy Potter slash Twelfth Night and still it's unique and subtle and wonderful. Wholly recommended! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this book. Some parts felt very slow, but then there were also very exciting parts. I didn't feel like I had any kind of a relationship with the characters for quite some time, but I ended up really liking them. So, while I didn't get sucked into this, or couldn't put it down, I did quite like it. And I think I will actually read the next book in the series before I forget what happened.

Will middle school students like it? Two of my biggest readers had very differing views on it. A 7th grader is quite obsessed by them, but a 6th grader returned it unfinished because she couldn't get into it. I think if they stick with it they will really like it. There are some really cool plot devices, like a book that the characters can actually go into and learn how to use and control their magic by being thrust into fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty. There is the She's the Man vibe that is very fun - having a girl dressing as a boy and attending a boy's school. There are cool magical creatures and awesome, powerful magic that is used. There is a handsome prince, a powerful girl who doesn't even know her power, and an evil villain. There is a love/hate/love relationship that is a sweet romance. All these things add up to greatness, so why didn't I want to hug this book when I finished? I'm really not that sure. But read it for yourself, because it may add up to greatness for you.

Areas of concern:
The main character uses a word that I'm assuming is a cuss word for her world, but isn't one for us.
There are some "wand" jokes and innuendos.
Since the main character is dressed up as a boy and has a very close relationship with the handsome prince, some bullies at the school refer to her as "Bumboy".
Some mild kissing.

http://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |
The narrator choice for this one seems a bit odd since an older English gentleman gives it a different tone than I think a YA fantasy is really going for, but the different voices were still well done. You will definitely be confused starting this one, but I love that kind of thing and caught on pretty quick to all the different worlds and am excited to learn more about them. The magic was cool, the characters complicated, the romance even more complicated ;-). I'll be reading the next one physically to see how that changes my reading experience without the narrator's odd tone. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Adult Reader Reaction: I am not a big fantasy / fairy tale fan, but I loved The Burning Sky. The pieces and events that seem somewhat predictable are what keep you from being overwhelmed with suspense, and at the same time still turning the page. Iolanthe and Titus both are complicated, strong characters. Titus is not all bad; Iolanthe not all good. The reader has to be careful about "choosing sides," which adds to the fun of the book.

Pros: Lots of action and the ability of Iolanthe and Titus to jump into "live" fairy tales make this an imaginative, engaging tale for young adults.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Mar 4, 2014 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, ColinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"A young elemental mage named Iaolanthe Seabourne discovers her shocking power and destiny when she is thrown together with a deposed prince to lead a rebellion against a tyrant"--

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,385,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible