Faking It (Losing It) by Cora Carmack

Faking It (Losing It)

by Cora Carmack

En dejlig fortsættelse til en skøn (!!) serie. Kan kun anbefales!

Læs mere på bloggen! ( )
  evalucia | Sep 25, 2016 |
I think I'm probably the only person in the world who read Faking It without reading Losing It. I'm here to tell you that it works: we're provided with plenty of background information, and I never felt like I was in the dark.

I accidentally bought this one when I got a sale alert. I didn't realize it was the second in a series, but I figured since it features different characters, I wouldn't be missing too much. Anyway, I'm glad that I read it. I finished it in just a couple hours on a day off. It's my first book by Cora Carmack, and I can definitely call myself a fan of hers now!

In Faking It, musician Max is at a coffee shop with her new boyfriend Mace when she gets a call from her parents. They're in town! They want to meet her and her boyfriend in five minutes! Oh no! Max has kept up a conservative charade around her uptight parents for years. They don't know about her tattoos, her piercings, or the fact that she's currently dating a less-than-desirable character. She can hide her tattoos and piercings with no problem, but what about the boyfriend? She sends Mace home and propositions a studious-looking guy at a nearby table. Pretend to be her boyfriend for a day. How hard can that be?

It turns out that Cade is getting his MFA in theatre. He's the perfect man for the job. Max refers to him as "Golden Boy" because he's just so perfect. He's her parents' dream, and things couldn't be going any better. Even Max finds herself developing a serious attraction to him. The problem: can their fake relationship survive their very real connection?

I loved this book so much, but it also frustrated me to no end. One of my least favorite things in a romance is when the characters are clearly perfect for each other, but they find stupid, petty things to get in the way of their happiness.

That's exactly what happens in this book.

As Max says, "I push people away."
As Cade says, "I let people go."

When Cade and Max are together, everything is perfect. He pushes her to be a better person, to stand up for herself, to face her fears. She makes him a little more of a risk taker, inspires him to focus a little less on perfection.

And their chemistry. Their chemistry is amazing. Are all of Cora Carmack's books like this? I might have to go on a shopping spree...

Overall, this book was great. I probably would have rated it five stars if not for the several frustrating scenes where they separate. Definitely recommended for fans of new adult and romance. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
Faking It by Cora Carmack
"Losing It" series #2

Mackenzie "Max" Miller is a college drop-out trying to make her way as a singer in a band in Philadelphia. She is tattooed, pierced, and dyes her hair in bright colors--everything her ultra-conservative parents would hate if they knew. She's currently dating Mace, the drummer in her band, but is starting to feel a little ambivalent about the relationship. She gets a call from her parents discovering they planned a spontaneous visit from Oklahoma and are already in town. Quick! She has to ditch the boyfriend they would hate and hide her body art within the next five minutes. She spies a preppy-looking guy seated by himself in the coffee shop where she is currently in panic mode. In desperation, she asks him if he will pretend to be her boyfriend for 24 hours while her parents are in town. He agrees.

Now the fun starts. Cade Winston is the ultimate of perfect fake boyfriends and her parents love him. Max is drawn to him as well, but keeps pushing those feelings to the back burner since she already has a boyfriend. Cade, however, proves himself to be irresistible when one thing after another happens and he is always there in the nick of time to get her out of a jam, including when a man attacked her outside of her place of employment.

They develop an easy friendship and have amazing chemistry, but they first have to work their way through some old baggage on both sides, and Max has to face the fear of showing her true self to her family.

This is a nice story of a young couple finding their way. The H is pretty perfect, a great example for the type of boyfriend you should snap up if you are lucky enough to find (honest, sensitive, full of integrity, patient, etc.). The h is a sweetheart deep down but it takes a while to get through her layers. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Dec 10, 2015 |
This was an amazing read. Cade is trying to move on from his heartbreak over Bliss but is having a hard time. He meets Max in the most unusual way but she is exactly what he needs. Unfortunately, she comes with a ton of baggage but Cade will never back down from the challenge. This is a good one and I definitely recommend it. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |

Max is in trouble. Her parents are coming, expecting her to be the well-behaved and presentable young lady they think she should be, and then there's the matter of the non-existent perfect boyfriend. Okay, so she does have someone, but he's nothing like the kind of guy they think she should be with, and that means she's got to come up with a plan. Enter "Golden Boy," perfectly dressed, well-spoke, and absolutely presentable. Now they just have to convince her parents that they're a couple, wait till her parents leave, and then they'll just go their separate ways… Right?

The Verdict: I absolutely loved Losing It, and watching Cade walk away broken hearted when Bliss fell for Garrick was hard. So I was thrilled that the super-sweet guy would get his own story — and happily ever after, with any luck — in Faking It.

I suppose the plot is a bit standard; there are an awful lot of stories that start with the whole "will you pretend to be my significant other?" bit, but that didn't make me look forward to it any less. On the outside, Max is edgy, refusing to conform, but she's really quite normal in that she simply wants the independence to pursue her passion – music. Cade, on the other hand, is not what he seems at first glance. He looks straight laced and somewhat conservative, but we know he's fun loving, teasing, and even a bit mischievous at time. He and Max may at first seem like an odd couple, but they really are quite perfect for each other.

Unfortunately, I read Faking It directly on the heels of Losing It, and it's impossible not to compare the two. In fact, I loved the first book so much that I was dying for more, so I guess in that sense I went in with really high expectations. But where Garrick and Bliss were both sweet and hilarious, where I spent just as much time laughing at Bliss's antics as I did swooning over Garrick, Faking It, while sweet, lacks a lot of that crazy fun. I imagine if I picked this book up entirely on its own, without having a clue about the story that came before it, I probably would given it a higher rating, but since I picked it up primarily because I wanted more of what book one so perfectly offered, I ended up being a little disappointed. Faking It is a sweet, solid love story, and it's great to see Cade get his well-deserved happily ever after, but I wanted the insanity of the first book, and it didn't really carry over into this one. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |

"Mackenzie "Max" Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they're expecting to meet a nice wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade. Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he's kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they're forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel."-- Page [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,214,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible