Jane Austen goes to Hollywood by Abby…

Jane Austen goes to Hollywood

by Abby McDonald

Hallie and Grace are sisters. Their father has just died, so they and their mother are forced to find a new place to live, so they move to L.A. to live with family there. The overly dramatic sister Hallie wants to be an actress so it excited to be in L.A. The serious sister, Grace, has to leave the boy she has fallen for.

This was an ARC I obtained a couple of years ago. It has, of course, been published since, so I'm not sure what – if anything – was changed. I enjoyed this. It was light and fluffy YA/chick lit. The book alternated viewpoints between Hallie and Grace, and given that Grace was so much more like me, I enjoyed her sections more, but Hallie did (somewhat) grow on me – or at least her storyline did! ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 27, 2015 |
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com
ARC provided by publisher for review

This contemp take on Sense & Sensibility throws some interesting twists into the original storyline, but I never got the feeling anything was "missing." In fact, I think McDonald did a masterful job of transferring a very time-and-culture-specific situation into a contemporary, relatable story. And the characters are marvelous. Simply marvelous. Grace is an Elinor that I think people will relate to more than Austen's original, and Hallie is a spot-on imagining of a twenty-first century Marianne. With cellphones and the internet, and being set in Hollywood (hello!), the whole Elinor/Edward relationship between Grace and Theo develops more "naturally", and seems more plausible. Who hasn't wondered what a guy means when he texts/emails so-and-so, or stops texting/emailing after such-and-such? Likewise, Hallie's relationship with Dakota (Willoughby) is more realistic, though just as dramatic. And I love-love-loved Brandon, who is - clearly - the contemporary remaking of Colonel Brandon.

A very fun reimagining of a favorite story, with characters I could root for (even if I occasionally wanted to shake Hallie) and relate to. A quick read that will also appeal to readers who are not fans of Jane Austen (gasp!). ( )
  RivkaBelle | Dec 3, 2013 |
3.75/5

Review to come. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
When Grace and Hallie’s father suddenly passes away, leaving everything to his new wife, they move with their mother to Beverly Hills and encounter a lifestyle very different from San Francisco. Grace, the mature, dependable one, suddenly finds herself pining for the sort-of crush she left behind. Hallie, the impulsive one, immediately pursues her acting dream and starts dating a wannabe rock star. They each must learn to deal with their father’s death in their own way while creating new lives for themselves in an unfamiliar environment. A modern take on Austen’s Sense and Sensibility. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Aug 30, 2013 |
You don't have to look very far to see the similarities to Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. But that's ok, because McDonald does such a fine job at modernizing her tale, and how sisters Grace and Hallie come to terms with their new reality. Grace is the studious one, Hallie the budding drama queen. A move into a distant cousin's guest house in Hollywood sets up the story nicely. Both girls eventually learn how families are sometimes made up of very different parts. This was the second really well done contemporary novel I've read this summer and I will look forward to more by Abby McDonald. ( )
  ethel55 | Aug 20, 2013 |

Is an adaptation of

For my father,

for all his support and encouragement
Her father was dead, and all Grace could think about was pie.

Abby McDonald channels Jane Austen in this modern take on Sense and Sensibility.

Hallie and Grace Weston couldn't be more different. Older sister Hallie thinks all the world's a stage --her stage, to be exact --while even-tempered Grace tries to keep her dramatic sister in check. When their father dies, leaving everything to his snooty new wife, the sisters face a new challenge: uprooted from their home and friends, they're forced to move into a relative's guest house--in shiny, status-obsessed Beverly Hills.

Plunged into a strange and glamorous new world, the penniless Weston sisters try to rebuild their lives. Aspiring actress Hallie throws herself headlong into the Hollywood scene--and an intense affair with musician Dakota. Meanwhile, shy Grace manages to find an unlikely ally in the bubbly entrepreneur Palmer, but still yearns for the maybe-almost-crush she left behind.

But is Hallie blinded by her cinematic visions of true love? And can Grace find the strength to step off the sidelines?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:05 -0400)

"Hallie and Grace Weston couldn't be more different. Older sister Hallie thinks all the world's a stage--her stage, to be exact--while even-tempered Grace tries to keep her dramatic sister in check. When their father dies, leaving everything to his snooty new wife, the sisters face a new challenge: uprooted from their home and friends, they're forced to move into a relative's guesthouse--in shiny, status-obsessed Beverly Hills. Plunged into a strange and glamorous new world, the penniless Weston sisters try to rebuild their lives. Aspiring actress Hallie throws herself headlong into the Hollywood scene--and an intense affair with musician Dakota. Meanwhile, shy Grace manages to find an ally in quirky local girl Palmer but still yearns for the maybe-almost crush she left behind. But is Hallie blinded by her cinematic visions of true love? And can Grace find the strength to step off the sidelines?"--From publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,878,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible