Talisman (Finder) by Carla Speed McNeil

Talisman (Finder) (edition 2002)

by Carla Speed McNeil

Info:Lightspeed Press (2002), Paperback, 104 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:sf, graphic novel, post-apocalyptic

Finder: Talisman by Carla Speed McNeil

A comic about the magic of the love of books. If you don't love this, I don't even. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Reason for Reading: The lost book intrigued me even though I have not read any books in the Finder series.

This is a reprint of a particularly well-loved volume of the Finder series. I absolutely enjoyed this book, much more than I thought I would since it is part of a larger series. But it reads incredibly well as a stand-alone, in fact, one isn't even aware that it is a part of a series as a newcomer. The story appeals to the book lover and is a coming of age story as well as a bitter lesson in whether one should try to re-capture one's childhood or not. We have the story of a girl who can't read and is gifted a book by her mother's easy come, easy go boyfriend. Every time he visits he reads to her from this book and it is full of the most amazing stories. However, he stops visiting and Marcie can't continue with the book, she gets her older sister to read it to her but it's not the same story, she's not reading it right and she finds something offensive in the book and puts it up on a shelf. Marcie then goes on to learn to read but once she has the knowledge she comes back to get her book and it has gone, her mother has given it up for recycling. Another interesting aspect of this story is that it is set in a future world where "dead tree" books are of little value. People "read" electronically through uplinks that they plug into their heads, Marcie is quite against this.

Anyway, without going into more details, eventually Marcie grows up, becomes a wanna be writer, continues on an everlasting search for her lost book as that is where her imagination stems from. Marcie does eventually find the book with devastating results. I just loved this story, the world in which it was set and the characters. An invaluable part of the book was the author's end notes where she goes through the book page by page leaving sometimes very brief, ofttimes quite detailed notes on the story: where the ideas came from, what inspired her and how the story relates to the Finder universe in general. This is where the uninitiated realizes that these characters have been around. The boyfriend, especially, is an important figure otherwise in this world. These notes really made me want to investigate Finder some more. The individual volumes are no longer available but omnibus editions *are*, at very reasonable prices. So I've added Vol. 1 to my cart, which contains the first four books, including this one, so I can dive deeper into this intriguing and actually quite deep and thought-provoking story world. ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 18, 2012 |
Talisman is an intricate book which examines the contradictions inherent in living, how people must resign their urges for dreaming and reality, innocence and cynicism, and the belief in magic even though it's been proven quite brutally that it doesn't exist. McNeill uses a brilliant juxtaposition of detail and inference to illustrate the anguish of growing up while needing to hold tight to the stories of childhood. She creates a vivid world where tiny dinosaurs roam open air marketplaces and technology can falsify feeling. ( )
  flemmily | Mar 9, 2010 |
This is my favourite book of the series, focused on only one character of the Finder series. If you are a bibliophile, you are likely to find yourself drawn towards the storyline (i.e. the love a kid has towards a book in her childhood and her eternal search for the lost book in her adult life) and the graphics will impress you. Highly recommended. ( )
  soniaandree | Mar 12, 2009 |
My favorite of the Finder books. Part of its charm is that you can read most of it without realizing that it's a science fiction story. I initially mistook the living house and wetware for expressionistic elements of fancy in the protagonist's world-view: symbols not to be taken literally. They're kind of both. I suppose it's like that because Marcie is so involved in her own imagination and detached from the outside world, and she takes it for granted in a way that Jaeger doesn't. Since Marcie filters out so much, it means the reader isn't swamped in an information overload, trying to understand alien cultures. ( )
  sandstorrm | Jan 27, 2008 |
McNeil’s world is perfect, thickly populated and thought-out in detail. Her characters’ expressions and attitudes demonstrate a deep knowledge of human behavior, and her art shows the reader just what they need to know. It rewards detailed study, even as you want to move quickly to find out what happens next. She’s created a work worthy to be ranked with those she praises and loves.

If you’ve never been tempted to steal a book from a library. If you’ve never dreamed of being given a book with all the answers in it, and awakened disappointed because it’s not really under your pillow; If your mother never gave away, threw out, or sold a book that had changed your life; If you’re not still half looking for that book every time you pull one off the shelf.. But of course you are. Talisman is about hunger and magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:18 -0400)

In a future where reading is a dying art, Marcie's most treasured childhood possession was a book, which she lost before she could learn to read. Marcie searches relentlessly for the book, while attempting to become a writer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,389,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible