Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes

Human Remains (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Elizabeth Haynes

Member:tina1969
Title:Human Remains
Authors:Elizabeth Haynes
Info:Myriad Editions (2013), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Human Remains: A Novel by Elizabeth Haynes (2013)

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
Police analyst Annabel wouldn't describe herself as lonely. Her work keeps her busy and the needs of her ageing mother and her cat are more than enough to fill her time when she s on her own. But Annabel is shocked when she discovers her neighbour s decomposing body in the house next door, and appalled to think that no one, including herself, noticed her absence.

Back at work she sets out to investigate, despite her police officer colleagues lack of interest, and finds data showing that such cases are frighteningly common in her own home town.

A chilling thriller and a hymn to all the lonely people, whose individual voices haunt the pages, Elizabeth Haynes new novel is a deeply disturbing and powerful thriller that preys on our darkest fears, showing how vulnerable we are when we live alone, and how easily ordinary lives can fall apart when no one is watching.

All the lonely people…

I loved the authors debut novel Into the Darkest Corner because it was so believable and one of those “there for the grace of God” stories.

Human Remains differs because it is so unlikely but totally credible at the same time(if that makes sense).

The author superbly portrays the isolation of the elderly and other troubled people who have withdrawn from a society that hasn't got time or the inclination to care and feeds on that visceral horror of dying alone, forgotten and unloved.
The dual narrative between prey and predator peppered with the wonderfully poignant monologues of the “transformed” is excellent
Colin is a magnificent creation: super intelligent narcissistic sociopath - I had no difficulty in believing that vulnerable people would find him trustworthy...I can still hear his voice in my head

Colin
I was eating cornflakes and reading jokes aloud from the back of the 1982 Beano annual when my father clutched his chest and dropped dead on the kitchen floor.

Looking back it almost seems comical, but I believe that this was the moment when my life took a change in direction. My father was the sort of person you could read jokes to. He would spend Sundays fixing the car and I would help him, learning where all the pieces went and what they all did. He laughed a lot and together we both laughed at my mother, who was thin, and serious, and bitter.

After he died, I couldn’t bring myself to read the Beano any more. I didn’t really laugh any more, either.

I must remember to look deliriously happy when doing my weekly supermarket shop in future because you never know who is watching…….
  jan.fleming | Feb 9, 2015 |
I won't rate this one as I did not finish it. I gave it through 50% but the story just wasn't for me.
  elizabeth.b.bevins | Nov 4, 2014 |
After being absolutely captivated by Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes recently, I wanted to enjoy more of her writing and picked up Human Remains soon after.

Human Remains is considerably darker than Into The Darkest Corner, and bears no resemblance to her debut novel; which is a pleasant and refreshing discovery in the world of books.

This time the protagonist is Annabel, a female Police Analyst who begins to notice an exceeding number of decomposing bodies being discovered in their homes. In each case, the deceased had slowly withdrawn from society before they died and wasn't missed.

The novel is told from the perspectives of Annabel and Colin (sociopath and bad guy) as well as short segments from the deceased themselves. This makes for a fascinating read that really kept me on the edge of my seat.

It's clear the author has studied the science of human decomposition and Neuro Linguistic Programming (no more for fear of spoilers) in order to write the villain's first person perspective, and it's done extremely well. Colin is a despicable man and his methods of suggestion and persuasion are downright scary.

Human Remains delicately raises the point that we no longer know our neighbours and aren't as friendly as we once were. The main reason for this is probably personal safety, but while reading Human Remains I couldn't help but reflect on these topics.

Human Remains is a real page-turner and a great crime novel with a difference.

Exciting news, I'll be interviewing the author Elizabeth Haynes on my blog Carpe Librum soon. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Jul 11, 2014 |
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book, and especially enjoyed the quirky nature of Colin's character.

I was however a little disappointed with the ending, and found it quite flat.

It is one of those books that while I found enjoyable, it will be instantly forgotten.I will however read further books from this author as they offer a great source of light relief. ( )
  Holly_85 | Mar 16, 2014 |
Voor mijn beste vriendinnen
Angela Wiley, Karen Aslett en Lindsay Brown
Toen ik thuiskwam rook ik de vuilnisbakken in de koude lucht.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 190843418X, Paperback)

How well do you know your neighbours? Would you notice if they lived or died? Police analyst Annabel wouldn't describe herself as lonely. Her work keeps her busy and the needs of her ageing mother and her cat are more than enough to fill her time when she's on her own. But Annabel is shocked when she discovers her neighbour's decomposing body in the house next door, and appalled to think that no one, including herself, noticed her absence. Back at work she sets out to investigate, despite her police officer colleagues' lack of interest, and finds data showing that such cases are frighteningly common in her own home town. A chilling thriller and a hymn to all the lonely people, whose individual voices haunt the pages, Elizabeth Haynes' new novel is a deeply disturbing and powerful thriller that preys on our darkest fears, showing how vulnerable we are when we live alone, and how easily ordinary lives can fall apart when no one is watching.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

"New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Haynes returns with a disturbing and powerful tale that preys on our darkest fears.Police analyst Annabel wouldn't describe herself as lonely. Her work and the needs of her aging mother keep her busy. But Annabel is shocked when she discovers her neighbors decomposing body in the house next door, and she is appalled to think that no one, including herself, noticed the womans absence. Annabel sets out to investigate, despite her colleagues; lack of interest, and discovers that such cases are frighteningly common in her hometown.A chilling thriller and a hymn to all the lonely people whose individual voices haunt its pages, Human Remains shows how vulnerable we are when we live alone, and how easily ordinary lives can fall apart when no one is watching"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,918,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible