Den som blinker er bange for døden by Knud…

Den som blinker er bange for døden (edition 2009)

by Knud Romer

Title:Den som blinker er bange for døden
Authors:Knud Romer
Info:[Kbh.] Athene 2009

Den som blinker er bange for døden by Knud Romer

Danish (4)  English (2)  All languages (6)
The childhood recollections of the author, brought up in a small town in 60s Denmark, start out relatively lightly. Memories of his eccentric relatives: Father, who worked in an insurance office and was compulsively careful; Granddad, whose grandiose business schemes always fell flat. But as the book progresses, we become increasingly aware of Romer's German heritage, through his Mother. Although she had worked against the Nazis, the whole family face persecution in Denmark. Romer recalls trying to spare her the pain he went through at school, telling her jolly stories about his activities:
"And it was all lies. For the day had been spent being a German pig, hiding in the breaks, hiding my packed lunch, my bike, my clothes. For everything I had they poured scorn on, even on her name....I was never able to bring myself to tell Mother and diverted her as best I could. And she would look at me and slowly open her hand, and into its palm I placed what I had and hoped that it was enough."
Well-written memoir by a victim of racism ( )
  starbox | Jan 21, 2014 |
Når sætninger bliver så forførende for forfatteren selv, at han ikke er villig til at foretage blot et minimum af ordrenseri, bliver gode sætninger en gene fremfor et adelsmærke. Knud Romer skriver godt, så godt at sætningerne står i vejen for handlingen. ( )
  alexyoungpedersen | Aug 8, 2011 |
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
I feared my Grandfather.

The Second World War is over but its legacy continues to tear a Danish town and a young boy's life apart.
Knud is growing up in Falster, a small Danish town in the 1960s. Despite the war being over, the Germans are still hated and Knud has a German mother. Persecuted at schhool, he retreats into the protective world of his eccentric family: his grandfather who goes from one mad business failure to another; his grandmother, disfigured in an explosion; his father, expelled from his family for having married a German, and his mother, a member of the anti-Nazi resistance, who refuses to belittle herself by responding to racist insults. 'Nothing but Fear' brilliantly shows us that along with the damage caused by war come the physical and emotional marks left on the children in peacetime; marks described by Knud Romer with tenderness, irony and satire.

The Second World War is long over but its legacy continues to tear a town, and a young boy's life, apart. Knud is growing up in Faster, a small Danish town, the son of a German mother. Persecuted at school he retreats into the eccentric world of his family's history.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible