Fractured Soul by Rachel McClellan

Fractured Soul

by Rachel McClellan

I received this from Netgalley as an ARC in exchange for my honest reader review.

I did not happen to read "Fractured Light" which was book one to this series. Happily, while it would give you a better initial understand of the Auras, Furies, Christian and Llona and May and Sophie, you don't have to. The book references the first, but with concise explanations instead of vague descriptions, resulting in quick information that enhances the current plot.

I was frustrated with the aunt, Sophie, and her insistence that Llona try to fit the mold. She does redeem herself a little by "admiring Llona's fire, very much like Llona's mother's fire and independent streak." Ultimately, Sophie dismisses Llona's concerns and doesn't listen and ends up a victim. How much of a victim is yet to be determined.

The ending...oh the ending! I won't say more on it.

Very readable, very fast paced, some really beautiful metaphors about choices in life and how we choose to react to factors/happenstances. A good read. ( )
  a_tiffyfit | Sep 21, 2013 |
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 Controllers
Review Source: Blog Tour
Reviewer: Heather

I was pretty excited to review Fractured Soul, book #2 in the Fractured Light Series by Rachael McClellan. I’m new to the series, and will suggest you pick up at the start, but was able to follow along just fine. However, some major stuff happens (no spoilers teehee) and I would have loved to be able to start with the first book. If you are reading this for the romance (swoon), start with the first book!

Llona finds herself at Lucent Academy, a school for auras and furies that her Aunt Sophie runs. She’s spent her whole life in the real world, went to a normal school, but the girls here are the complete opposite: spoiled and sheltered. It’s all done in the name of safety from the Valkan race, which feeds off of the Aura’s blood, ingesting the light, in order to remain strong.

When Llona first arrives, she feels off, as if something is terribly wrong at the academy. Naturally, she begins to snoop, with the help of her new friends and her Guardian love. Instantly, things just don’t add up and you find yourself sucked deep into the plot. Llona has already lost too much, so when the life of her guardian’s threatened, she begins to withdraw into her own foreboding thoughts, and pushes everyone away.

Then again, she has a secret. One that could destroy her, one that could consume her, and cause her to harm the very people she’s trying to save.

Overall, loved it. I can’t wait to read more and as soon as I have a free moment, I will read the first book. This is an enticing read that I didn’t want to put down. I laughed, I cried (seriously at the end), and I really fell in love with Llona, and I’m interested to learn more of Liam. Part of me wants to slap Sophie though, I mean she’s not horribad, but she’s not winning aunt of the year awards either. Regardless, every character’s well written with a distinct voice. I’d recommend this series for older YA readers, and of course those of us adults who like them too. ( )
  momgamerwriter | Jul 17, 2013 |
This is the second book in the Fractured Light series. What I found to be most delightful about this book was the fact that the reader did not actually have to read the first book in the series to be able to understand this one. The descriptions of Auras and Furies were enough to be able to affectively follow what was going on. Although I would like to go back and read the first book just for the story, I do not find that to be necessary. This is an extremely enjoyable and fast paced read with interesting characters and action packed events.

The ending was simply amazing and I cannot wait to get my hand on the third book!

Note: I received this book via Netgalley. All thoughts are my honest opinion! ( )
  wolfangel87 | Mar 7, 2013 |
Fractured Soul picks up where Fractured Light leaves off. Llona and May have arrived at Lucent Academy, the school for Auras and Furies, where they will begin their training. The recent battle with the Vyken who killed Llona's mother is still fresh in her mind, and the bite she received when she fought him still seems fresh on her neck, though she still hasn't told anyone about it. Upon arrival at the academy, they are shown to their rooms. Llona says her room smells like blood, but no one else can smell it, which is very strange. That night, as Llona looks out her window, she finds herself drawn to the darkness, and she doesn't understand why. She sneaks outside of the wall surrounding the academy into the forest, where she runs into Jackson, one of the Guardians. They also run into a Vyken, which she ends up killing, and much to her surprise, Christian, her guardian and boyfriend, shows up, who was supposed to have been assigned elsewhere.

Llona gradually finds the darkness, the anger, and the desire to kill growing stronger within her, and she doesn't understand it, that is until she meets Liam, who has also been bitten by a Vyken. Liam helps her understand what she must do to overcome the darkness. She subsequently finds the diary of the girl who occupied the room she is staying in at the Academy, which provides answers, and even more questions to regarding what is going on. Meanwhile, she is trying to keep her relationship with Christian on the down low, which is hard. She is also fearful for his life, and what he will think of her if he finds out what she really is. As the story progresses, the conspiracy grows, and they soon discover that what is going on is so much bigger than just the school. As the mystery unravels further, Llona and her friends are shocked to discover the key players that are involved in the conspiracy. The story culminates in an epic battle between good and evil, and Llona must learn to fight with her light for good, or risk losing herself to the darkness forever.

This was an action-packed second installment in the Fractured Light Series, and kept my attention from beginning to end. I really came to love Llona in book one, and even more so in book two. She is quite the heroine. She fights many tough battles both within herself and with the Vyken, the greatest battle of all being with the grief and darkness that threatens to overwhelm her after the loss of a loved one. Llona learns more about the truth surrounding her mother, her family, and her past, and also must find the strength to face an uncertain future. I loved Christian also and was so glad to see him back in this installment. The romance between Christian and Llona was sweet and romantic. We also get to see May again, who is growing and learning more about her Fury powers, and we are introduced to some new characters as well. Tessa is a Lizen, who becomes a good friend to Llona and May, as does Kiera. Then there is Jackson, a Guardian, who is not what he seems, and Cyrus, who is supposed to be over all the Lucent Academies, but is he on the up and up?

Fractured Soul is filled with mystery, intrigue, conspiracy, romance, some epic battles, and then there is the paranormal element that Rachel McClellan has created, which is both fresh and creative. I found the story both entertaining and thrilling, experiencing both joy and sorrow with Llona. This is a great paranormal series that I have thoroughly enjoyed and would definitely recommend. I am really looking forward to reading Fractured Truth, the third book in the series. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Mar 1, 2013 |
This book is second in the Fractured Light series, however it can be read as a stand-alone (as I have done so). The author did an amazing job at adding the necessary details of things that happened in book 1, to give readers whom have read the first book a look of the past, and the readers who have yet to read the first book a better understanding of what is going on and how things got to be.
I am looking forward to reading the next chapter in this series! ( )
  starryeyedheart | Feb 14, 2013 |

Rachel McClellan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,504,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible