The 5 Money Personalities: Speaking the Same…

The 5 Money Personalities: Speaking the Same Love and Money Language (edition 2013)

by Scott Palmer, Bethany Palmer

Info:Thomas Nelson (2013), Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:BookSneeze, borders ebook, Kindle, eBooks
Rating:***
Tags:finance, money

The 5 Money Personalities: Speaking the Same Love and Money Language by Scott Palmer

I'm not one who reads a lot of self-help books, particularly those aimed at couples. I find the advice is usually so general (because it has to be if it's going to apply to everybody) that I could figure it out on my own, or else it's specific but certainly not specific to me (i.e. it makes assumptions about my religion, philosophy or goals). A lot of them just seem like gimmicks.

But The 5 Money Personalities is a little different. Everyone can relate to money. Everyone sharing a household and sharing expenses has to figure out how to make money decisions together. And a lot of us feel intimidated by the prospect.

The 5 Money Personalities is not a financial planning guide. It's not there to chastise you for the poor financial decisions you've made in the past, nor to tell you what investments to make in the future. It's a book for couples--or anyone who shares finances with someone else--to help take stock of the decisions we make and why, and to understand why our partners may make very different decisions.

Scott and Bethany Palmer explain that there are five basic "money personalities"--the spender, the saver, the risk taker, the security seeker and the flyer--and that each of us displays one or more of these personality traits when making decisions about money. So, see? I'm not cheap. I'm a saver! My partner isn't irresponsible. He's a spender! The book encourages couples to understand and appreciate each other's differences so they can work together (rather than just calling each other "cheap" or "irresponsible," for instance).

Scott and Bethany Palmer refer to themselves as "the Money Couple," a trade-marked term that is also the name of their website. Several times throughout the book the reader is directed to go to their website for more information on a topic. I wouldn't mind that so much except for the fact that the money personality quiz--arguably the most important part of the book--was something you could only do online. Is this really something they couldn't have included in the book itself? It seemed like kind of a jerk move to make readers go to the website in order to fully understand the book. Also, if they're so committed to the book directing readers back and forth from the website, perhaps they should consider adding QR codes so people can access it directly from their smart phones (like the new edition of Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life).

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Jan 17, 2013 |
Typical self-help book based solely on the authors' anecdotal evidence culled from their practice as financial advisors. Some helpful advice but I get really irritated with this sort of quasi-psychology. Given that it's written by two Christians, I was pleased that they didn't try and make it all "biblical". God is only mentioned near the beginning in passing so could be read by anyone as it is mostly good common sense. ( )
  spbooks | Jan 13, 2013 |

The hidden key to a healthy relationship is not just managing money but understanding how the other approaches money.

Every couple argues about money. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been married for 40 years or dating for 4 months, money touches every decision you make as a couple—from the $5 cup of coffee to the $50,000 car. And when the two of you don’t see eye-to-eye on how much to spend or how much to save, that’s when arguments turn into ugly toxic fights that leave both persons feeling hurt and angry. It’s why money has become the #1 cause of divorce in the U.S. Obviously, something needs to change. The reason this crisis has not been addressed is because it has never been identified, defined, or given a name. Scott and Bethany Palmer, aka “The Money Couple,” have identified and defined this problem and offer concrete solutions to fix it.

Once you know your Money Personality, you can get to the root of money arguments and start really working together. You’ll discover what has an impact on your loved one’s money decisions, and you’ll learn how to talk about money in a way that’s actually fun! You’ll figure out how to put an end to money secrets and lies once and for all.

It’s not just about money management, and it’s definitely not just about overcoming debt. It is a whole new way of living that will change everything in your relationship. Tens of thousands have already been transformed. Are you ready?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,472,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible