Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan

Pride of Baghdad (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Niko Henrichon (Illustrator)

1,196716,704 (3.87)66
Member:syrin
Title:Pride of Baghdad
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Niko Henrichon (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2006), Hardcover, 136 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Graphic Novels, Private Collection, Vertigo, Comics

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan (2006)

English (70)  Danish (1)  All languages (71)
After a patron put this book on hold I was beyond intrigued. At first glance I just thought it was a graphic novel about the war but when I looked inside and saw their were lions, I knew I had to read it! Based on true events, this graphic novel follows four lions who escaped from a Baghdad zoo during an American bombing raid. Prowling through a city in ruins they ponder the true meaning of freedom. Can it be given or must it be earned? Without sacrifice is it as meaningful? Ground breaking and poignant, this is a fantastic read. Quick and concise and will leave readers with many questions and a new appreciation for the king of animals. ( )
  ecataldi | May 13, 2015 |
Lion's-eye view of American attack on Baghdad, 2003. ( )
  questbird | Mar 1, 2015 |
I hate this story. Not because Vaughan doesn't do an excellent job in telling it. No, he does the job a little too well. I hate the story because war is horrible; and this story does not end well. At. All. The artwork is engaging. ( )
  lesmel | Sep 5, 2014 |
In 2003, four lions escaped the Baghdad Zoo, while Baghdad was being bombed. This is a graphic novel that follows the lions just before and after their escape.

I really liked it. It just went too fast for me. I probably should have seen the ending coming, but I didn't. Even with reading the back of the book first, I still missed any and all symbolism. Only thought of it as I read some of the reviews afterward. I just really liked the story for the story, I guess. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 13, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 24, 2014 |
Vaughan has created a fascinating world – even if the characters are a little two dimensional – with a story that might seem all too Disney if it wasn’t for the story-bombs Vaughan keeps detonating, mixing things up and pulling us back from cosy talking animals to remind us of the horrors of war and nature.
added by stephmo | editGrovel, Andy (Mar 14, 2008)

Some of the happenings are a bit too convenient (for example, the two surprise rescues), and the writer occasionally allows the cub too many awww-inducing moments of cuteness. This isn’t a simplistic story, though, with an obvious message.

Damn those boys for making me cry like a man. It’s always a given that any story involving animals will hit me right where it counts, and Pride of Baghdad is no exception.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Niko Henrichon (Oct 9, 2006)

Vaughan's heart-wrenching story is graced by some of the most stunning visuals every collected in a single volume.
added by stephmo | editIGN Comics, Hillary Goldstein (Sep 14, 2006)

A Vaughan fan might forgive the faults of Pride and enjoy the art and successes, but a first-time reader would be better served by reading his back library than this well-intended but ultimately inadequate story.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henrichon, NikoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Daniel M. Kanemoto
-Brian K. Vaughan

For Laëtitia Cassan
-Niko Henrichon
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

In the Spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,413,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible