Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan

Pride of Baghdad (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Niko Henrichon

Member:Kassilem
Title:Pride of Baghdad
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Niko Henrichon
Info:Vertigo (2008), Edition: 2nd Edition, Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Graphic Novel, Historical Fiction

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan (2006)

English (69)  Danish (1)  All languages (70)
I hate this story. Not because Vaughan doesn't do an excellent job in telling it. No, he does the job a little too well. I hate the story because war is horrible; and this story does not end well. At. All. The artwork is engaging. ( )
  lesmel | Sep 5, 2014 |
In 2003, four lions escaped the Baghdad Zoo, while Baghdad was being bombed. This is a graphic novel that follows the lions just before and after their escape.

I really liked it. It just went too fast for me. I probably should have seen the ending coming, but I didn't. Even with reading the back of the book first, I still missed any and all symbolism. Only thought of it as I read some of the reviews afterward. I just really liked the story for the story, I guess. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 13, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 24, 2014 |
Great artwork, deep story, and based around true events. It was a bit depressing, but it was honest and blunt and made a point that more people need to listen to. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Jan 3, 2014 |
Exquisitely illustrated and containing some very clever lines, but ultimately a bit too depressing and dark. Short, vicious and violent. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
Vaughan has created a fascinating world – even if the characters are a little two dimensional – with a story that might seem all too Disney if it wasn’t for the story-bombs Vaughan keeps detonating, mixing things up and pulling us back from cosy talking animals to remind us of the horrors of war and nature.
added by stephmo | editGrovel, Andy (Mar 14, 2008)

Some of the happenings are a bit too convenient (for example, the two surprise rescues), and the writer occasionally allows the cub too many awww-inducing moments of cuteness. This isn’t a simplistic story, though, with an obvious message.

Damn those boys for making me cry like a man. It’s always a given that any story involving animals will hit me right where it counts, and Pride of Baghdad is no exception.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Niko Henrichon (Oct 9, 2006)

Vaughan's heart-wrenching story is graced by some of the most stunning visuals every collected in a single volume.
added by stephmo | editIGN Comics, Hillary Goldstein (Sep 14, 2006)

A Vaughan fan might forgive the faults of Pride and enjoy the art and successes, but a first-time reader would be better served by reading his back library than this well-intended but ultimately inadequate story.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henrichon, NikoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Daniel M. Kanemoto
-Brian K. Vaughan

For Laëtitia Cassan
-Niko Henrichon
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

In the Spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible