Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan

Pride of Baghdad (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Niko Henrichon

Member:Kassilem
Title:Pride of Baghdad
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Niko Henrichon
Info:Vertigo (2008), Edition: 2nd Edition, Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Graphic Novel, Historical Fiction

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan (2006)

Recently added byBannedrain, private library, Abek, Alfonso_H, djzehr, Matteocalosi, PeskyLibrary, HartHouseLibrary

English (68)  Danish (1)  All languages (69)
In 2003, four lions escaped the Baghdad Zoo, while Baghdad was being bombed. This is a graphic novel that follows the lions just before and after their escape.

I really liked it. It just went too fast for me. I probably should have seen the ending coming, but I didn't. Even with reading the back of the book first, I still missed any and all symbolism. Only thought of it as I read some of the reviews afterward. I just really liked the story for the story, I guess. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 13, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 24, 2014 |
Great artwork, deep story, and based around true events. It was a bit depressing, but it was honest and blunt and made a point that more people need to listen to. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Jan 3, 2014 |
Exquisitely illustrated and containing some very clever lines, but ultimately a bit too depressing and dark. Short, vicious and violent. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
Vaughan, B. K., & Henrichon, N. (2006). Pride of Baghdad: inspired by a true story. New York, NY: DC Comics

“Lies keep us passive.”(no pg)

During the US invasion of Baghdad, Iraq in 2003, a zoo was destroyed in a massive air assault, and this graphic novel is a fictionalized account of the true event of a small pride of lions that escaped. With the imminent dangers of both a war-torn city and other escaped wildlife surrounding them, the lions are confronted with the challenges of freedom, responsibility, and loss. The story is highly compelling, and the illustrations are dramatic and stunning in their use of color and comic-realism. I immensely enjoyed this story and all of its tragic elements. I would recommend it for mature teenage readers because of its graphic depictions and mature themes, and it would be best suited for high school students. It could fit nicely into English Language Arts or Social Studies classes and it could be effectively used as in introduction to the genre’s style and literary elements as well as an exploration of themes associated with war and conflict. ( )
  KoryD | Jul 16, 2013 |
Vaughan has created a fascinating world – even if the characters are a little two dimensional – with a story that might seem all too Disney if it wasn’t for the story-bombs Vaughan keeps detonating, mixing things up and pulling us back from cosy talking animals to remind us of the horrors of war and nature.
added by stephmo | editGrovel, Andy (Mar 14, 2008)

Some of the happenings are a bit too convenient (for example, the two surprise rescues), and the writer occasionally allows the cub too many awww-inducing moments of cuteness. This isn’t a simplistic story, though, with an obvious message.

Damn those boys for making me cry like a man. It’s always a given that any story involving animals will hit me right where it counts, and Pride of Baghdad is no exception.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Niko Henrichon (Oct 9, 2006)

Vaughan's heart-wrenching story is graced by some of the most stunning visuals every collected in a single volume.
added by stephmo | editIGN Comics, Hillary Goldstein (Sep 14, 2006)

A Vaughan fan might forgive the faults of Pride and enjoy the art and successes, but a first-time reader would be better served by reading his back library than this well-intended but ultimately inadequate story.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henrichon, NikoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Daniel M. Kanemoto
-Brian K. Vaughan

For Laëtitia Cassan
-Niko Henrichon
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

In the Spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible