Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Gerald's Game (edition 1993)

by Stephen King

6,74075989 (3.29)1 / 104
When rough sex between Jessie and Gerald Burlingame turns deadly, leaving Gerald dead and Jessie handcuffed to the bed, it sets in motion a terrifying and psychologically twisted twenty-eight hours.
Member:leezeebee
Title:Gerald's Game
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder and Stoughton, Hardcover, 394 pages
Rating:**
Tags:fiction

Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: These two books are thematically related and tied together by a full eclipse of the sun that occurs at a climactic moment.
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: Not exactly a ghost story like Bag of Bones, but thrilling to the end. Starts off fast (however does have sexual content).

English (65)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (75)
Gerald's Game
Ok, i really didn’t like this one at all. It was much too long and drawn out and would probably have been better if it was just a short story or a novella. In the end i think i just started skimming because i was bored and wanted to know what the ending was.

Gerald’s Game is the story of what happens to Jessie after she gets handcuffed to the bed by her husband and then has no way out for about two days. The story is told by Jessie and all the voices in her head and that’s pretty much all the dialogue. She is rather resourceful when it comes to getting out of those cuffs eventually but after that, i just got bored.

I skimmed the rest and was somewhat satisfied by the ending. But other than that, eh.

I’m currently reading the new and expanded edition of The Gunslinger, so far so good, but now i’m gonna want to reread the whole series lol, but that’s ok because The Wind Through the Keyhole is coming out in April and i’m excited, i love anything to do with Roland and the Dark Tower!

Happy Readings!

artdamnit_reads | Jul 29, 2020 |
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I'm revising my previous estimation of this book up one star.

I'm gonna be a little spoilery. :)

Why? The re-read was actually rather satisfying. Yes, it's a novel about survival and all the kinds of crap that men make women do to satisfy themselves, but it's also a rather moving novel about keeping (or losing) one's sanity in the face of all those expectations.

Never mind the sheer horror of being handcuffed to a bed without hope of being saved because your lover just keeled over, or watching a dog eat your husband as you go thirsty. It's a lot more than just that. It's memories and other humiliations and the struggle to find oneself through one hell of an ordeal.

Plus, I kinda like the fact that we're dealing with a very Poe-ish or Aristotelian art-ethic here. It's very focused in time and place, forcing us to go down deep into the subconscious. I can't help but appreciate that more now than when I was younger. *shrug*

Either way, I also enjoyed the almost tacked-on feel of the extended denouement. It really gave a sense of reflection and of shoring up her defenses after having them all stripped away, both literally and figuratively. I felt the power of the positive reversal.

Now, I should say that I'm revising this from my three stars to four based mainly on the fact that the novel is good on its own, but when I chose to give it three (from memory), I did so based on my enjoyment in comparison with the rest of Stephen King's works. It isn't his strongest novel by far, but it was still quite enjoyable.

I think I'm going to really enjoy the movie in a few days. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I’d never read this novel before, which is weird for me, being such a huge King fan. But the plot never seemed all that interesting to me.
Well I found myself with nothing to read for a little while there, and the audiobook was available in my library, so I thought it give it a shot.

There was a metric fuck-ton of cursing, which I don’t mind. Not even the see-you-next-Tuesday word that most people avoid (unless you’re Australian, of course). There was child molestation, which was difficult for me, but I could handle that. There was quite a bit of misogyny, which I’ve been forced to read/listen to before. And there was a stray dog eating a dead person, which was gross. There was also necrophilia, and cannibalism mentioned, which happens in horror novels, sometimes. And there was an almost rape scene, which I had a *very* difficult time with.
I struggled past this part, and then tried to concentrate on the rest of the novel. It’s a little dated, almost like it was written in the 70’s and not 1992. But it was a King novel, so I listened thru to the end.
All in all, it was all right. I doubt I’ll ever read/listen to it again, and that’s fine. At least I can cross this one off my list. It’s not my favorite, but it was an interesting way to pass a few stormy evenings, which cross stitching.

Lindsay Crouse was the narrator, and she isn’t my favorite either, but she did very well with the main character’s many voices.
3 stars, and not really recommended. I’m so sorry, my favorite author...! 😩 ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
*mild spoiler/s below*

Per usual, King has done a wonderful job at giving an in-depth look at characters, or in this case a single character. It was well paced and I didn’t find myself bored despite the fact that for nearly the entirety of the story we are in the same room with our main character chained to a bed. The twist at the end felt out of place, though I’m not convinced that is due to the actual twist itself or more due to the jarring difference in scenery; for the first 3/4ths or so of the story we are in a single room with only memories/flashbacks/fears to remove us, so being taken from the “comfort” of that space into the real world and the horror that takes place there—that itself is jarring and would’ve been jarring for our lead character as well.
Overall, enjoyed the read and would recommend! That being said, I most likely won’t be rereading at any point as the Netflix adaption followed the book quite well and I would sooner watch that again than get back into the headspace of Jessie Burlingame for all of 300+ pages. ( )
  ambernreads | Apr 15, 2020 |
{Sadie} gathered herself together. No one could describe the scorn of her expression or the contemptuous hatred she put into her answer.

"You men! You filthy dirty pig! You're all the same, all of you! Pigs! Pigs!"

-- W. Somerset Maugham,

"Rain"
This book is dedicated, with love and admiration, to six good women:

Margaret Spruce Morehouse
Catherine Spruce Graves
Stephanie Spruce Leonard
Anne Spruce Labree
Tabitha Spruce King
Marcella Sprice
Jessie could hear the back door banging lightly, randomly, in the October breeze blowing around the house.

On a warm weekday in October, in the lovely summer home of Gerald and Jessie Burlingame, a game is about to begin. It's a game to be played between husband and wife, and a game that has Jessie being innocently handcuffed to the bedposts. Then, in one horrible violent act, Gerald is dead and Jessie--well, she's alone and still chained to the bed. But Jessie's about to have company that goes beyond all of her worst nightmares.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,659,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible