Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Gerald's Game (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Stephen King

5,08945881 (3.28)1 / 92
Member:alynnk
Title:Gerald's Game
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Viking Adult (1992), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:@own: to be read

Gerald's Game by Stephen King (1992)

Recently added byRandin, private library, jamesi775, PhilGut, CathrineF, cavcadet, JACoppinger, cobwebs, paul_titheridge
    Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: These two books are thematically related and tied together by a full eclipse of the sun that occurs at a climactic moment.
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: Not exactly a ghost story like Bag of Bones, but thrilling to the end. Starts off fast (however does have sexual content).

English (35)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
A pretty disappointing book. The first Stephen King novel that I started to skim read to just get to the end. Sad. The first 20 pages or so work really well, but then it just gets long and drawn out. It probably would have been a good short story, or at most a novella, but there is not nearly enough material to make this a book that was priced $23.50 when it came out. I think of it as "Misery" meets "Cujo" and then, well, this came. The positives of it, for me, were that there is a horrifying character at the end that is really well written and I loved the connection to "Dolores Claiborne". But the character is totally wasted and the connection felt more like a commercial idea, a way to sell this book. Anyway, I'm bummed I read this and feel a bit like I felt after reading his short story "Ur". Still, I'm a big fan, and I guess I'll have to put this in the "everyone has a bad day at work" file. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 27, 2015 |
Gerald's Game is not a book of action so much as one of internal struggle and growth. Most of the book takes place in Jessie's head as she thinks about her husband, her father, her therapist, and her old friend Ruth. Ruth and Nora, the therapist, are a couple of the voices she hears in her head, along with an alter-ego she thinks of as Goodwife Burlingame.

But that's not to say that the novel is all about thinking. Things do happen, and they are creepy and sometimes downright gruesome. Jessie makes attempts to relieve her worsening thirst and, of course, to free herself from the handcuffs. She also has visitors, but the less said about those the better. You'll just have to read it yourself.

I've had a tough time reading lately, possibly because of so many distractions in my life right now, which is why I turned to Stephen King. This is one of his books I missed because it came out soon after I went to college and discovered that there are, in fact, other authors out there. I didn't read anything of his for quite a while and now I'm trying to catch up. I think it was a good book to pick at the time and I'm glad I read it, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. I really appreciated the story of Jessie coming to grips with her childhood trauma, and trying to save her own life, but I do like a little more action in a story.

http://blog.threegoodrats.com/2015/06/geralds-game.html ( )
  3goodrats | Jun 27, 2015 |
A woman, handcuffed by her borderline abusive husband during foreplay, is trapped in their remote cabin when he has a heart attack and dies on her. Even when I really hate the premise of one of King's novels, as with this one, they are still gripping and suspenseful reads. I never want to read this one again, though. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2015 |
WARNING: Here, there be language. If naughty words offend you, putter on past.

GERALD'S GAME is best if you know nothing about it. If you plan to read it, skip this review. It is also the only King novel that I'm sure will never see film. And I kind of like that about it.

Stephen King took a huge chance with GERALD'S GAME. First off, this is a three-hundred-plus page novel about a woman handcuffed to a bed. Even in a master storyteller's hands, a tale like this can become tedious. The novel does suffer from a metric fuck-ton of repetition, which is the only reason this wasn't a five star read for me.

I first read this novel the year it was released, when it came in the mail through my mother's book club subscription. I was young, probably twelve or thirteen, and most of the sex stuff was lost on me because I didn't understand what was going on. Nowadays, I'm a thirty-three-year-old boy, and the sex stuff was about as interesting to me as changing a shitty diaper.

So why did I enjoy this book? Three reasons. The dog, the de-gloving, and the corpse-fucker. Intrigued? Good. Read the book. Appalled? Skip this book.

This is one of those books that a great many readers will hate. It hops through the years of this woman's life like a broken time machine. There is no rhyme or reason to when these flashbacks occur. This isn't an every-other-chapter, past/present/past/present, type of deal. You'll be plodding along in the present and then all of a sudden you're in the past. If that sounds annoying, skip this book. I didn't mind it.

King's vulgarisms even caught this foul-mouthed sonuvabitch off guard. More than once, the phrase "A woman is just a life support system for a cunt," was used in one form or another. And I'm talking more than ten times. A sanitary napkin is even referred to as a cunt-diaper. Not in dialogue, mind you, but in the narrative. If you're turned off by that, you know what which book not to read.

Then you have the tie-in with one of my favorite King novels, DOLORES CLAIBORNE. Both novels were published in the same year and have similar themes (child molestation and the after effects). Oddly enough, the main character's recollection of an event that happens to her during an eclipse of the sun in 1963 runs parallel to Dolores pushing her husband down the well. I thought this was cool, but I'm biased. There's no reason why the MC has this connection with Dolores. None whatsoever. I'm actually shocked this stayed in the book after editing. Then again, most readers will tell you Stephen King hasn't had a good editor since the original, chopped up version of THE STAND.

Be forewarned. I'm an odd duck. I have strange tastes, and will completely ignore huge plot problems if I find the overall story palatable. In other words, if I find the subject enjoyable, anything the author says goes. It can happen because they said it could happen, that sort of thing. In this book, the three things I listed above were well worth all the repetition, time jumps, and plot holes. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Gerald's Game by Stephen King

First let me say, I did NOT finish this book. I got one third of the way through and I just couldn't finish it. Too much head noise for me.

The book is a psychological thriller about a couple who have been married for 20 years and have taken a romantic trip to their remote lake house in Maine. During a kinky sex episode, the wife is handcuffed to the bed against her will and accidentally kills her husband. She is now alone with her thoughts and fears and her husband is dead. Page after page we read how she feels, hear the voices inside her head, and I guess we are supposed to be scared but I was anything but. Unless of course you count the mangy hound that came in and started feeding on the the dead husband. I was actually bored throughout the few chapters I did read because of the monotonous details of thought and pain and misery. And if that isn't bad enough, I didn't even like the woman.

Way over the top!!
But if that is your thing, then you might enjoy it. By all means, go for it.

I want to add that this is the first book by Mr. King that I didn't enjoy. He is the author of one of my all time favorites, The Green Mile.

Published in 1993 by Signet. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
{Sadie} gathered herself together. No one could describe the scorn of her expression or the contemptuous hatred she put into her answer.

"You men! You filthy dirty pig! You're all the same, all of you! Pigs! Pigs!"

-- W. Somerset Maugham,

"Rain"
This book is dedicated, with love and admiration, to six good women:

Margaret Spruce Morehouse
Catherine Spruce Graves
Stephanie Spruce Leonard
Anne Spruce Labree
Tabitha Spruce King
Marcella Sprice
Jessie could hear the back door banging lightly, randomly, in the October breeze blowing around the house.

On a warm weekday in October, in the lovely summer home of Gerald and Jessie Burlingame, a game is about to begin. It's a game to be played between husband and wife, and a game that has Jessie being innocently handcuffed to the bedposts. Then, in one horrible violent act, Gerald is dead and Jessie--well, she's alone and still chained to the bed. But Jessie's about to have company that goes beyond all of her worst nightmares.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451176464, Mass Market Paperback)

A different kind of bedtime story from Stephen King, as a game of seduction between a husband and wife ends in death. But the nightmare has only just begun...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

When rough sex between Jessie and Gerald Burlingame turns deadly, leaving Gerald dead and Jessie handcuffed to the bed, it sets in motion a terrifying and psychologically twisted twenty-eight hours.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,101,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible