Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Gerald's Game (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Stephen King

5,04943893 (3.28)1 / 92
Member:alynnk
Title:Gerald's Game
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Viking Adult (1992), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:@own: to be read

Gerald's Game by Stephen King (1992)

Recently added byirunsjh, sunster09, deanc, asha.leu, agotowicki, sw1341, private library, jenladuca, DonaldBuehler
    Rose Madder by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: King's abused wives phase.
    Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: These two books are thematically related and tied together by a full eclipse of the sun that occurs at a climactic moment.
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: Not exactly a ghost story like Bag of Bones, but thrilling to the end. Starts off fast (however does have sexual content).

English (34)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
A woman, handcuffed by her borderline abusive husband during foreplay, is trapped in their remote cabin when he has a heart attack and dies on her. Even when I really hate the premise of one of King's novels, as with this one, they are still gripping and suspenseful reads. I never want to read this one again, though. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2015 |
WARNING: Here, there be language. If naughty words offend you, putter on past.

GERALD'S GAME is best if you know nothing about it. If you plan to read it, skip this review. It is also the only King novel that I'm sure will never see film. And I kind of like that about it.

Stephen King took a huge chance with GERALD'S GAME. First off, this is a three-hundred-plus page novel about a woman handcuffed to a bed. Even in a master storyteller's hands, a tale like this can become tedious. The novel does suffer from a metric fuck-ton of repetition, which is the only reason this wasn't a five star read for me.

I first read this novel the year it was released, when it came in the mail through my mother's book club subscription. I was young, probably twelve or thirteen, and most of the sex stuff was lost on me because I didn't understand what was going on. Nowadays, I'm a thirty-three-year-old boy, and the sex stuff was about as interesting to me as changing a shitty diaper.

So why did I enjoy this book? Three reasons. The dog, the de-gloving, and the corpse-fucker. Intrigued? Good. Read the book. Appalled? Skip this book.

This is one of those books that a great many readers will hate. It hops through the years of this woman's life like a broken time machine. There is no rhyme or reason to when these flashbacks occur. This isn't an every-other-chapter, past/present/past/present, type of deal. You'll be plodding along in the present and then all of a sudden you're in the past. If that sounds annoying, skip this book. I didn't mind it.

King's vulgarisms even caught this foul-mouthed sonuvabitch off guard. More than once, the phrase "A woman is just a life support system for a cunt," was used in one form or another. And I'm talking more than ten times. A sanitary napkin is even referred to as a cunt-diaper. Not in dialogue, mind you, but in the narrative. If you're turned off by that, you know what which book not to read.

Then you have the tie-in with one of my favorite King novels, DOLORES CLAIBORNE. Both novels were published in the same year and have similar themes (child molestation and the after effects). Oddly enough, the main character's recollection of an event that happens to her during an eclipse of the sun in 1963 runs parallel to Dolores pushing her husband down the well. I thought this was cool, but I'm biased. There's no reason why the MC has this connection with Dolores. None whatsoever. I'm actually shocked this stayed in the book after editing. Then again, most readers will tell you Stephen King hasn't had a good editor since the original, chopped up version of THE STAND.

Be forewarned. I'm an odd duck. I have strange tastes, and will completely ignore huge plot problems if I find the overall story palatable. In other words, if I find the subject enjoyable, anything the author says goes. It can happen because they said it could happen, that sort of thing. In this book, the three things I listed above were well worth all the repetition, time jumps, and plot holes. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Gerald's Game by Stephen King

First let me say, I did NOT finish this book. I got one third of the way through and I just couldn't finish it. Too much head noise for me.

The book is a psychological thriller about a couple who have been married for 20 years and have taken a romantic trip to their remote lake house in Maine. During a kinky sex episode, the wife is handcuffed to the bed against her will and accidentally kills her husband. She is now alone with her thoughts and fears and her husband is dead. Page after page we read how she feels, hear the voices inside her head, and I guess we are supposed to be scared but I was anything but. Unless of course you count the mangy hound that came in and started feeding on the the dead husband. I was actually bored throughout the few chapters I did read because of the monotonous details of thought and pain and misery. And if that isn't bad enough, I didn't even like the woman.

Way over the top!!
But if that is your thing, then you might enjoy it. By all means, go for it.

I want to add that this is the first book by Mr. King that I didn't enjoy. He is the author of one of my all time favorites, The Green Mile.

Published in 1993 by Signet. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
I can't believe my mother let me read this stuff.

2 vote alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
A frightening scenario of a bondage encounter gone wrong. Scary and thought-provoking. The better of King's eclipse novels. ( )
  srboone | Apr 3, 2013 |
{Sadie} gathered herself together. No one could describe the scorn of her expression or the contemptuous hatred she put into her answer.

"You men! You filthy dirty pig! You're all the same, all of you! Pigs! Pigs!"

-- W. Somerset Maugham,

"Rain"
This book is dedicated, with love and admiration, to six good women:

Margaret Spruce Morehouse
Catherine Spruce Graves
Stephanie Spruce Leonard
Anne Spruce Labree
Tabitha Spruce King
Marcella Sprice
Jessie could hear the back door banging lightly, randomly, in the October breeze blowing around the house.

On a warm weekday in October, in the lovely summer home of Gerald and Jessie Burlingame, a game is about to begin. It's a game to be played between husband and wife, and a game that has Jessie being innocently handcuffed to the bedposts. Then, in one horrible violent act, Gerald is dead and Jessie--well, she's alone and still chained to the bed. But Jessie's about to have company that goes beyond all of her worst nightmares.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451176464, Mass Market Paperback)

A different kind of bedtime story from Stephen King, as a game of seduction between a husband and wife ends in death. But the nightmare has only just begun...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:01 -0400)

When rough sex between Jessie and Gerald Burlingame turns deadly, leaving Gerald dead and Jessie handcuffed to the bed, it sets in motion a terrifying and psychologically twisted twenty-eight hours.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,220,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible